Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:46 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,322,860 times

Advertisements

lets put this to rest!
Overall Most Segregated (Averaging ranks for all 5 major dimensions) Drumroll…..
  1. Milwaukee
  2. Detroit
  3. Cleveland
  4. St. Louis
  5. Newark
  6. Cincinnati
  7. Buffalo-Niagara Falls
  8. New York
  9. Chicago
  10. Philadelphia
  11. (tie) New Orleans and Kansas City
Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,294,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKick View Post
Yes it does. It's saying that a decade ago New York was one of the most segregated cities in the country and that nothing has changed.

If you read the article, they say that they are segregated by color.

Hyde Park is a very mixed race neighborhood.

Yes it is. How many nabs like this in Chicago?

Again my point is that in New York people are segregated by incomes, Black lawyers or doctors etc can freely chose their place of residence.
Bars, restaurants are all mixed as opposed to Chicago where affluent Blacks are still confined to certain areas in the south and west of the Loop. I know both cities very well.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
lets put this to rest!

Overall Most Segregated (Averaging ranks for all 5 major dimensions) Drumroll…..
  1. Milwaukee
  2. Detroit
  3. Cleveland
  4. St. Louis
  5. Newark
  6. Cincinnati
  7. Buffalo-Niagara Falls
  8. New York
  9. Chicago
  10. Philadelphia

Well, even that lists shows that out of top 12 most segregated cities 6 are located in Midwest. How is that for liberal region?

About Chicago... Your own Chicago Tribune claims Chicago is the most segregated city in America. I think that being Chicago's major newspaper they surely know what they are talking about...

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune

The paths taken by Colin Lampark and Rosalyn Bates help illustrate why Chicago is the most racially segregated big city in America.

Both are young professionals with handsome earning potential. Both moved to the city a few years ago—Lampark, 28, to Lincoln Park; Bates, 31, to Bronzeville. And both chose neighborhoods reflecting their race, a practice common in Chicago.

Their personal stories, and many others, explain why blacks in Chicago are the most isolated racial group in the nation’s 20 largest cities, according to a Tribune analysis of 2008 population estimates. To truly integrate Chicago, 84 percent of the black or white population would need to change neighborhoods, the data show.

The calculations paint a starkly different picture from the ones broadcast across the nation during
Barack Obama’s Election Night rally last month, when his hometown looked like one unified, harmonious city.

The fact is, racial patterns that took root in the 1800s are not easy to reverse. Racial steering, discriminatory business practices and prejudice spawned segregation in Chicago, and now personal preferences and economics fuel it.

“Once institutions exist, they tend to persist, and it requires some act of force to get them to change,” said Douglas Massey of Princeton University, an expert on segregation.

For Lampark, who is white, the move last year to Lincoln Park from Minneapolis came because he had friends there. It wasn’t a racially motivated decision, he said. Lampark, an engineer, just doesn’t know anyone on the South Side.

Bates, who is black, settled in Bronzeville for similar reasons.

“It put us closer to friends,” she said.

She, however, may pay more dearly for her decision. Segregated African-American neighborhoods have less access to health care, quality education and employment opportunities than white areas, the research shows. Black homeowners can expect to receive 18 percent less value for their homes, according to one study—a tax the researcher attributed primarily to segregation.

James Hamilton, 50, a deckhand from Woodlawn, can live with that. In his experience, which includes 30 years on the South Side, he doesn’t think that whites would welcome him to their neighborhood.

“It ain’t never been us,” he said. “It’s always been [whites]—just don’t want to be around us.”

The research shows he may not be entirely wrong. While whites are willing to vote for Obama, they aren’t nearly as interested in living in neighborhoods rich in color.

Blacks make up about 35 percent of Chicago’s population of nearly 3 million and are largely concentrated on the South and West Sides. Whites make up nearly 28 percent, largely located to the north and in slivers of the South Side, while Hispanics, about 30 percent of the population, are scattered to the Northwest and Southwest Sides of the city center.

Dating back to the late 19th Century, blacks were confined to certain neighborhoods in Chicago by pen and sword, with legal restrictions and real estate practices ensuring whatever bombs and batons did not.

[more at the link above this text]

Last edited by dementor; 04-25-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 03:01 PM

58 posts, read 204,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
How about this, your own Chicago Tribune claims Chicago is the most segregated city in America. Do you think that being a major Chicago paper they do not know what they are talking about?

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune
Nice attempt at baiting, but it's pretty obvious that measuring segregation is something that is fluid and rather abstract so results will not always be consistent. These measuring sticks are only useful in determining relative level of segregation, in which both Chicago and New York are sadly among the most.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,275,539 times
Quote:
Sorry but I trust census data analysis over your naked eye. Maybe your right and things have changed quickly in the last few years, but that seems unlikely. I suppose we'll see when the census comes out in a couple years.
Nah, I trust my eye more because I grew up on the Brooklyn-Queens border and I can see the changes in most neighborhoods. Any study will be distorted because there are still some large inner city black neighborhoods like East New York or the South Bronx in which few non blacks will want to live. That is skewing the results.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:07 PM

58 posts, read 204,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Nah, I trust my eye more because I grew up on the Brooklyn-Queens border and I can see the changes in most neighborhoods. Any study will be distorted because there are still some large inner city black neighborhoods like East New York or the South Bronx in which few non blacks will want to live. That is skewing the results.
Honest question: How is that any different from any other major city?

Old 04-25-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

My point exactly. There are for instance large concentrations of Russians in Brighton Beach and Poles in Greenpoint but that does not mean that Russians or Poles are not represented or discouraged from moving to other neighborhoods. Statistically however, most of them live in their respective historical enclaves, hence statistically the city is still ethnically segregated which is not the case. Not in New York.

Article in Tribune offers a deep look into segregation recalling stories of urban professionals moving to the city and choices in housing they have.
Those choices defined by the color of their skin is IMHO true segregation and not the exsitance of predominantly ethnic, historical enclaves.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Very different. There are virtually no blacks in Lincoln Park, Bridgetown, Lincoln Sqaure, Loop etc etc. Chicago is very color conciouss with most Blacks in the southern and western parts of the city and virtually none outside of it. Even affluent Hyde Park is south of the Loop. Read the Tribune article, it explains a lot and it is written by Chicago natives.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...ation-26-dec26

Old 04-25-2009, 03:15 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,275,539 times
Quote:
Not sure if you know how large the South Bronx, East New York, Bedford-Stuyvestant, Bushwick, South Jamaica and Harlem are. In any case, I see people of different races and religons living side by side in places where only a single race lived before.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
lets put this to rest!

1. Milwaukee
  2. Detroit
  3. Cleveland
  4. St. Louis
  5. Newark
  6. Cincinnati
  7. Buffalo-Niagara Falls
  8. New York
  9. Chicago
  10. Philadelphia
Mas,

Did you notice 6 of the 12 most segregated cities are in Midwest. How is that for the so called liberal region, Midwest claims to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City