Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 PM

734 posts, read 2,055,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
May I ask what NYC has that Chicago doesnt?
Not too much. It all kinda evens out, in the long run. It does look like New York stole the wind-making-the-park-a-launching-pad feature with the new Yankee Stadium, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM

395 posts, read 1,376,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Yup, mine too. The poor people of Chicago believe they are below New York because they are smaller, have less tall buildings etc etc not realizing that what puts them behind is their own mindset and mentality. Chicago may become a great city in about 100 years when it finally loses its rural and industrial legacy, when its population becomes truly urban.. Who knows...
You're right. This is SOOO true one many levels in terms of mindset and mentality. But also keep in mind, that Chicago is world class and attracts people from many many parts of the world.

I will admit it is a cesspool of midwest transplants "living the high life" in the "big city" from places like Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana ()...etc, and often which bring a close minded worldview and mindset. Where big state school white midwest frat boys, who have never lived in a different environment nor consider the fact that their "culture" is not the only one in the world, all move to chicago together in their big groups and NEVER leave their comfort zones and continue living as is, bringing with them their way of life from their cornfield towns. Really annoying if you ask me. (You will find these people Cub's games and wriggleyville and all over lincoln park)

HOWEVER, there is a LOT of culture at the same time and diversity in "mindset" and worldviews. There are tons and tons of street festivals and unique neighborhoods, theater options, the list goes on. It is truly worldclass, Dementor. But people need to stop talking about how many buildings there are...or how tall our buildings are, and how that makes us world class etc. So childish.

What other parts of the midwest have you been? My favorite are: Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, KC, the Ozarks in MO, Southern IL, UP Michigan, and of course all areas surrounding the Great lakes. I like Detroit as well, and the fact it's a border city with Canada is often overlooked. There's also some amazing sites along the Great River Roads of the Mississippi in IL/MO/IA.

I would side with many "coasters" to the aura of the region being boring. The main reason is the shear size of it. The cultural centers are so spread out with not much in between. Driving from CHI to Detroit...CHI to STL... or most cities is flat farmland. And cities are literally oases. Not being by coasts (lakes dont count...sorry) affects the mindset that communicates life beyond how you have always known it. Outside major cities, and by that I would only include chi, min, det, stl, cin, cle, kc...maybe mil, exposure to the outside world is simply through TV.

Geography speaking...there are spurts of diverse and pretty terrain. MO, MI, and WI in my opinion have the best terrain. MO is simply fantastic and does not fall into the category of "flat" farmland and is scattered with orchards, vineyards, various crops like cotton in the southeast, corn...but mainly forested foothills in the southern half (I think MO and MI are our most geographically diverse states in the region...from experience). But then again, we're talking about small spurts of the midwest...where on the coasts, beautiful terrain is EVERYWHERE. In the midwest, here we are trying to find beautiful places, finding 6 and then saying..."see we ARE beautiful look at these 6 places" (which are scattered all over)...

Something to think about though...without the midwest, you would all be starving.

Hope that makes sense...

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 05-04-2009 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times
The Great Lakes states should hitch itself to Canada's Great Lakes/St. Lawrence cities. Chicago-Quebec City corridor would give the Northeast a run for its money.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,788,786 times
I can admitt that the Coasts to an extent offer a lifestyle that can not be had in the midwest. The east coast with its large population and the west with its topography. But I think outside of New York, Boston, and Seattle the culture of most of the coasts is really over rated.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,241,581 times
All this Chicago talk....what about the 85% of the people in the Midwest who don't live in Chicagoland. There's a lot of variety out there.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,553,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Great Lakes states should hitch itself to Canada's Great Lakes/St. Lawrence cities. Chicago-Quebec City corridor would give the Northeast a run for its money.
no doubt... toronto/montreal/chicago ...all 3 of those I'd put ahead of anything but nyc the north east has to offer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City