Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,373,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm from Durham...Einstein. I practically lived in Raleigh and know more about it that you do. It's far from perfect.
Being that you are from Durham (last year you were from Winston-Salem) that explains why you hate Raleigh. Durhamites are not all that fond of Raleigh's "cleaner" look and feel when compared to Durham. Don't get me wrong, I'd choose Durham hands down over Raleigh myself. I like the "Beattes Ford Road" look and I am not joking. Atlanta has that look too in many areas. Anyway, Raleigh is near perfect to a certain demographic (if you know what I mean).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM

414 posts, read 1,279,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Anyway, Raleigh is near perfect to a certain demographic (if you know what I mean).
Hey now, be careful...I'm of the same demographic as yourself (but probably about 3 shades deeper )....but I choose Raleigh.

I've had enough urban living to last a lifetime. Give me clean, green and safe any day.

For me, you are right, Raleigh is pretty damn near perfect.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:38 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,373,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Hey now, be careful...I'm of the same demographic as yourself (but probably about 3 shades deeper )....but I choose Raleigh.

I've had enough urban living to last a lifetime. Give me clean, green and safe any day.

For me, you are right, Raleigh is pretty damn near perfect.

Well well well, didn't expect to see you here LOL!!! And no, I doubt you are 3 shades deeper than me. Maybe taller, but certainly NOT darker.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,218,047 times
Quote:
Being that you are from Durham (last year you were from Winston-Salem) that explains why you hate Raleigh. Durhamites are not all that fond of Raleigh's "cleaner" look and feel when compared to Durham. Don't get me wrong, I'd choose Durham hands down over Raleigh myself. I like the "Beattes Ford Road" look and I am not joking. Atlanta has that look too in many areas. Anyway, Raleigh is near perfect to a certain demographic (if you know what I mean).
Oh, this is getting fun!

I don't recall anyone saying that Raleigh is perfect. That said, there is a lot of love for the city by its residents for a variety of reasons. Many of those reasons are stated objectively (statistics) while other reasons are more subjective. Frankly, with its growth, people are "voting for Raleigh with their feet" as the metro swells with new residents at a faster rate than almost all places in the nation.

But, there is also a healthy paranoia and skepticism in Raleigh regarding what needs to be improved. Most of the anxiety among Raleigh's residents comes from issues related to rapid growth. I am sure that Charlotte folks can relate to that issue. I am not so sure Durham can relate on the same scale since its growth is typically much slower.

Now, I'd like to know what is meant by Raleigh being near perfect to a certain demographic??? Would you care to enlighten me?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Forget it...you're arguing with a wall. He is always right, and will never admit to anything different. The best thing to do is ignore him.
I thrive off a good argument.
I have had enough back and forth with him to know the score. Oddly, I think we'd probably be friends if we lived in the same place. We'd be those bickering drinking buddies who would shout on top of each other the more we drank. ....speaking of which, isn't it happy hour soon? Oh, I forgot, happy hours aren't legal in NC.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd choose Durham hands down over Raleigh myself.
No you wouldn't. You'd leave the state if you couldn't live in Charlotte.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Even if they did some kind of Creekwalk somewhere on Crabtree Creek and made it up like, say, an Indianapolis Canal Walk, that would be just great. If they did that, I'd probably pick Raleigh as easily my favorite NC city. If they did that, I'd probably visit as a tourist on a Lexington BBQ festival weekend or something and make it part of a weekend getaway.

Thanks for the links, too.
You are welcome. Regarding the "river walk" idea, the location of the creek is in the Glenwood South area. Unfortunately, that part of DT doesn't need any help at all. It's hopping with activity now. The creek is open along side of the old Devereux Meadows (former minor league ballfield) and goes under ground as it heads South under Peace Street. The former creek path likely ran to Johnson Street before heading west toward Cameron Park. While it would have been a great idea to jump start the neighborhood 10 years ago, Ithink it would really difficult to do now with land prices way up and alll the development that has occured.
It would probably be better to just find an area of downtown that needs a shot in the arm and assemble some land for a man made pond with development around it. Perhaps the area a few blocks West of the new convention center would work? The area immediately West of the Convention Center is supposed to get a performance amphitheatre sometime soon. In fact, the city is supposed to buy a structure that is somewhere else and relocate it. see: Downtown Raleigh amphitheater image :: WRAL.com and Crews Clear Way For Downtown Amphitheatre
The area to its West is the lower section of the warehouse district. I can imagine some sort of water feature there.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,837,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteacher09 View Post
Well, actually, like usual you are stirring the pot where there is no need. If you go back and read, urbancharlotte clearly said CLOSE to perfect, but you usually take it a step further. Anyways, yes, still, tens of thousands of Raleigh citizens would agree with what he said. Don't believe me, take a few minutes to read their forum. Better yet, why don't you ask them.
How can I "stir the pot" if there isn't a pot to stir? What a pathetic comment and attempt to try and place blame on someone. Look in the mirror. Good God Moderator cut: Personal Attack/Flaming

Tens of thousand of Raleigh residents aren't THAT stupid. Don't put words in peoples' mouths...unless maybe you're Jesus? (or you think you're Jesus). I don't need to ask anyone...

And, urchincharlotte - I've lived in several places...don't make statements about where I'm from - you don't know me, you don't know anything about me, and you never will. Keep your small-town ideas to yourself.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-26-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,679,766 times
Quote:
That's not cool man. There are way more black people that live in Raleigh than Durham, just based off of sheer numbers. Why make a statement in this thread like that anyway?

Raleigh is indeed one of the best second tier cities you can move to... I just wish the cost of living was a little lower, but that's what happens when you're at the top of many lists!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:19 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,550,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I was wondering if any of you have traveled the south and have a favorite second tier city that you DO NOT live in, my personal favorite's are Savannah and Charleston SC., the beauty of those two just can't be beat.
Greenville SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City