Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:34 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Diversity based off race is sort of meaningless, wouldn't you say?
Well it certainly isn't 'meaningless' to most researchers if every ranking, study, article , etc. I've ever seen on the subject of 'diversity' has been based on race. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,423,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well it certainly isn't 'meaningless' to most researchers if every ranking, study, article , etc. I've ever seen on the subject of 'diversity' has been based on race. LOL
If you think race=diversity I don't think you've read too many articles on diversity.

Most countries don't even count people by racial categories. It's a particularly American phenomenon.

And, even in the U.S. race is only one component of overall diversity. It would be crazy to say that, for example, a Hasidic Jew, or an Egyptian or Yemeni immigrant doesn't contribute to diversity (because they would all be "white" in US Census context), but a regular middle class suburban nuclear family that happens to be nonwhite does contribute to diversity.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,975,458 times
Quote:
Tell the researcher closest to you that you're tired of filling out census forms saying "Other: Native American/Pacific Islander". If you're a Pacific Islander, I can only imagine what sort of grin you've got on when filling that one on the census form. It's as if the American government just thought "no difference between the two" and grouped it all together.

Oh you know, Native Americans and Pacific Islanders, same thing. Indians and Chinese, same groups of people. Arabs and the Norwegians, they're both Caucasian! Brazilians? Oh they're only located in Latin America, in all actuality, they're just as Caucasian as an Englishwoman from Liverpool!

I'm Singaporean, according to the American government, I'm just about the same as someone from China, demographically. Since we're all being lumped together as "Asians".

This is why "race" is flawed.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Generalizing both metros are very diverse, NYC tends to have more quantity and more representation and sf has better integration
Yes this is totally accurate. As far as sheer numbers no one is disputing NY has more, but still it appears that it was good for some in this thread to be informed about that the SF Bay Area actually is more racially diverse if the measuring stick is which areas areas closest to equilibrium among racial groups-and as far as overall integration. You already knew all of this but clearly some in this conversation were not aware.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Tell the researcher closest to you that you're tired of filling out census forms saying "Other: Native American/Pacific Islander".
Actually it's "Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander" which is perfectly acceptable to me as they count Guamanians, Fijians, Native Hawaiians, Samoans and Tongans--as well as classifications for "other" groups not mentioned.

Quote:
I'm Singaporean, according to the American government, I'm just about the same as someone from China, demographically. Since we're all being lumped together as "Asians".

This is why "race" is flawed.
No ranking is going to please everyone--that's life. However, I am satisfied that these rankings provide more than an adequate picture of diversity.

Also, as far as Singapore, what I was able to find was this:

Born in Singapore, 2012
San Francisco CSA 4,967
New York CSA 3,804
Chicago CSA 1,344

Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,975,458 times
Quote:
Yes this is totally accurate. As far as sheer numbers no one is disputing NY has more, but still it appears that it was good for some in this thread to be informed about that the SF Bay Area actually is more racially diverse if the measuring stick is which areas areas closest to equilibrium among racial groups-and as far as overall integration. You already knew all of this but clearly some in this conversation were not aware.
So what exactly makes segregation bad and integration good?

What about self-segregation?

Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:

I won't say they are bad are good b/c that is kind of moralizing or politicizing... It definitely creates a different vibe though. On the one hand, integration make people more americanized and into the general population, in some outer boroughs of NYC and to a lesser extent in Chicago, there are areas that feel like a foreign country and operating completely within their own neighborhoods, they are here, but not really assimilated to any American culture, and often barely speak english, or never need to learn.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You can make whichever argument you like, I never really made a case for or against. Only what is.

Quote:
Well it's your perogative to talk about that if you like.

I am more interested in integration and diversity, and like I said earlier, it's very interesting how widespread diversity has become in Northern California.

In this ranking, NorCal takes 9 of the top 20 places: The Most Diverse Cities In The US - Business Insider

Between the Bay Area and Sacramento, which is a very large geographic area, we see arguably the highest degree of racial diversity probably in the entire country.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I won't say they are bad are good b/c that is kind of moralizing or politicizing... It definitely creates a different vibe though. On the one hand, integration make people more americanized and into the general population, in some outer boroughs of NYC and to a lesser extent in Chicago, there are areas that feel like a foreign country and operating completely within their own neighborhoods, they are here, but not really assimilated to any American culture, and often barely speak english, or never need to learn.
What "foreign" neighborhoods does Chicago have?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What "foreign" neighborhoods does Chicago have?
Devon Street Little India, Koreatown in Albany Park, Argyle (Uptown Chinatown), Little Village. As I said, to a lesser extent but there are some areas like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City