Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:41 PM

37,280 posts, read 39,596,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago isn't known for any seafood dishes/seafood soup and it's probably the cities worst category IMO... but I know some will disagree.
Y'all got lakefood or something, right? There are a bunch of edibles in Lake Michigan. I mean, you can make this great Umbrian Fish Soup. Wow! Actually, do restaurants in Chicago eagerly advertise serving fish (maybe even shellfish) local from Lake Michigan?

Don't have to be a seafood soup. Are there any identifiably "Chicagoan" soups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Y'all got lakefood or something, right? There are a bunch of edibles in Lake Michigan. I mean, you can make this great Umbrian Fish Soup. Wow! Actually, do restaurants in Chicago eagerly advertise serving fish (maybe even shellfish) local from Lake Michigan?

Stuffed pizza is kind of a "soup" of cheese.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,145,180 times
Quote:

Let's talk about soup and sandwiches

NYC has the Manhattan Clam Chowder and SF has Cioppino. I don't know what Chicago has as its city soup. What is it? My vote for the two I know is the Cioppino.

NYC has the Pastrami Sandwich and Chicago has the Italian Beef. I don't know what SF has as its city sandwich. What is it? My vote is for the Italian Beef (that and the LA French dip are on the top of the list for me, if we don't include Canadian works like the smoked meat sandwich of Montreal which I put in the same tier as the Italian Beef and French Dip).
San Francisco's city sandwich might be a Dungeness Crab Roll, or perhaps the Mission-style Burrito (if you are like some who consider them "wraps". Or, you could try to classify these "signature city sandos" more for the meat used. In that case, grilled tri-tip roast on a sourdough roll would be the signature SF sandwich. In terms of ubiquity, however, I think a grilled chicken, bacon and avocado on sourdough is the city sandwich.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,329,836 times
Quote:

Having grown up with a few brothers I can attest that Chicago offers a variety of fishing opportunities for everyone from the seasoned angler as well as the interested novice. Therefore there are many restaurants which offer locally caught fish served in as many different recipes as there are to the imagination.

Chicago is such a diverse and global city comprised of many people from thoughout the U.S. and the world at large and as such has many, many different neighborhoods which make it unique in its culinary attributes. As such Chicagoans have such a love for food and all of its various edibles it is difficult to imagine living here without fresh fish and seafood...unfathomable actually. Thus it seems that perhaps there is no need to "eagerly advertise" serving fish and/or seafood as it is common knowledge that if there is a particular desire for fish and/or seafood of any incarnation it will not be long before one discovers the many fine dining establishments where one undoubtedly may acquire such satisfying offerings.

Due to the influence of the many immigrants (Asian, Italian, Greek, English, Scottish, Irish, Turkish, Latin American, Caribbean, African, French, German, Australian, etc.) which have arrived on our U.S. shores (and in particular Chicago) over the years, as such there are just as many (if not more) regional and ethnic fish soups available at the many fine and diverse ethnic restaurants in the Chicagoland area. Thus it would appear to me that there are just as many identifiably "Chicagoan" soups as there are people from around the U.S. and the world living in the Chicagoland area.

There are also several fresh seafood markets throughout the area which provide a plethora of seafood options from within the shores of the U.S. and around the globe as well. We are never lacking in any culinary fish or seafood opportunities, hence we seem to be doing quite well for ouselves concerning your ponderings about lake fish and seafood in the Chicago environs.

Shrimp DeDeJonghe, a Chicago classic is a casserole of whole peeled shrimp blanketed in soft, garlicky, sherry laced bread crumbs and butter which can be served as an appetizer or main course. It is a Chicago culinary icon and has the oldest pedigree of Chicagoan cuisine. It originated in the 1890's at DeJonghe's Hotel and Restaurant and although the hotel and dining room are since gone, the dish lives on in at least a hundred restaurants throughout the Chicago area, not to mention numerous other restaurants around the country.

The De Jonghe brothers and their sisters emigrated from Belgium to Chicago just a year before the 1892 World`s Columbian Exposition, with their goal of making a living in the New World.

Chicago Fishing Reports | Chicago Fishing Forums

Fish Seafood Markets in Chicago, Illinois with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Shrimp de Jonghe a Chicago culinary icon | abc7chicago.com

Cooking with Julian: Shrimp De Jonghe - A Chicago Classic

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...

Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 AM

36,677 posts, read 67,656,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

Chicago is such a diverse and global city comprised of many people from thoughout the U.S. and the world at large
This is pretty much the story of all 3 cities in this thread aint it? LOL

And great post btw.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
San Francisco's city sandwich might be a Dungeness Crab Roll, or perhaps the Mission-style Burrito (if you are like some who consider them "wraps". Or, you could try to classify these "signature city sandos" more for the meat used. In that case, grilled tri-tip roast on a sourdough roll would be the signature SF sandwich. In terms of ubiquity, however, I think a grilled chicken, bacon and avocado on sourdough is the city sandwich.
Probably tri-tip, I had never heard of tri-tip or seen such popularity outside the Bay Area. Chicken/bacon/avocado are now somewhat everywhere.
Dungeness Crab and sourdough in general are probably the staple foods. The mascot of the Giants used to be some kind of crab.

poastcards

Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM

66 posts, read 91,575 times
Quote:
Probably tri-tip, I had never heard of tri-tip or seen such popularity outside the Bay Area. Chicken/bacon/avocado are now somewhat everywhere.
Dungeness Crab and sourdough in general are probably the staple foods. The mascot of the Giants used to be some kind of crab.

poastcards
Those arms and thighs are as obese as ever

Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,146,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the 'States View Post
Those arms and thighs are as obese as ever

Why you fat-shaming the crab!? lol

Old 01-05-2014, 11:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,146,286 times
Quote:

poastcards

That chicken/bacon/avocado is more a California thing. Anywhere you go that has a "California" sandwhich is usually that or turkey/bacon/avocado. I dont know if thats an SF thing. Really anything on sourdough, which is definitely a San Francisco thing.
I'd probably go with the crab. Tri tip is huge in California, but didnt originate in SF, its really a central coast thing.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 PM

37,280 posts, read 39,596,627 times
The mission burrito seems like the only one that people would immediately associate with SF specifically, though not quite a sandwich.

I don't reckon there is a soup that peopl identify specifically to Chicago. I wonder if it's possible to still develop these city-specific items anymore now that ingredients, ideas, recipes and restaurant franchises can go anywhere in the world. There are still new ideas popping up everywhere and some of them gain traction but do they become associates with the city they first come out of now? Do people associate korean kalbi tacos with LA immediately or cronuts with NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City