Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,416,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post

For visiting- Chicago
For living - SF
Interesting. So many people I know, including myself, would say exactly the opposite. Also, it's a little hard to believe of these three cities, Chicago is the highest tax city of them all. None of these are low-tax cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,356,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think that's a pretty tough argument to make. SF and Chicago are also so much more similar to each other than either are to NYC.
Really? Not seeing strong similarities, at all, between Chicago and SF.

NYC and SF are both very expensive coastal cities that tend to attract somewhat similar types. Chicago is a different type of city, with different cost structure and attracts a different type.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM

37,225 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

NYC and SF are both very expensive coastal cities that tend to attract somewhat similar types. Chicago is a different type of city, with different cost structure and attracts a different type.
Chicago and SF are both mid-sized and mid-level cities which try to make constant comparisons to NYC. They share similar densities of neighborhoods and levels of activity.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM

2,565 posts, read 3,633,983 times
Quote:
Chicago and SF are both mid-sized and mid-level cities which try to make constant comparisons to NYC. They share similar densities of neighborhoods and levels of activity.
That might be the first time in my life I have heard Chicago referred to as "mid-sized" or a "mid-level" city. Whoa.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,581,889 times
None of these cities are all that similar to each other. They are in three different parts of the country and are very different.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,536,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Not really, most transient professionals I know have these 3 on their list of places they would live (or have lived), exempting everywhere else. For folks into a truly urban lifestyle, NYC/Chicago/San Fran generally come up 1-3. For that reason, I can understand the Chicago/SF comparison, considering both offer a scaled-down NYC-style urbanity, yet neither can touch the volume of NYC, as it's so much larger that comparisons are quantitatively unfair.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,109,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
That might be the first time in my life I have heard Chicago referred to as "mid-sized" or a "mid-level" city. Whoa.
Yeah, whatever else you can say about Chicago it's definitely a BIG city.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
I think that's a pretty tough argument to make. SF and Chicago are also so much more similar to each other than either are to NYC.
SF is more similar to NYC in housing costs than either is to Chicago.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,227,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Interesting. So many people I know, including myself, would say exactly the opposite. Also, it's a little hard to believe of these three cities, Chicago is the highest tax city of them all. None of these are low-tax cities.
Who would say its the highest tax city of them?? It has a lower income tax than the average person in NYC or San Fran, the sales taxes are similar (8.75%, 8.875%, 9.25%), and the housing prices are much cheaper with cheaper property taxes.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,230,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
SF is more similar to NYC in housing costs than either is to Chicago.
Yeah but that's one factor. I mean, Honolulu's housing costs are more similar to those of San Francisco and New York, so are the three of them more similar to each other overall than any are to Chicago? I think the more factors you take into account, the more New York seems to pull away from the rest of the pack so to speak. Population being the obvious one, city and metro, but also things like transit ridership, GDP, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City