Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM

66 posts, read 91,286 times

Advertisements

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is the best mayor to ever live.

I am sad he cannot be the mayor for life in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Rahm seems like he'd be fun. Don't know how effectual he'd be as a mayor, but seems like it'd be a good shakeup. How do the Chicago natives feel about him?
He's extremely polarizing. You essentially love him or you hate him. I'd recommend googling his fight with the Chicago Teachers Union for an example of what I'm talking about.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM

349 posts, read 573,323 times
Rahm's view is very polarized in the city, but not surprising as it its probably the most polarized city to begin with.

More changes downtown
- Millennium Park: This is a huge success, creating a domino effect to the areas around it. Its still amazing to see families with young children crowding up the pool at 10PM on a summer night. The bean, the amphitheatre and fountains have become instant landmarks also.
- The eastern portion of the loop has taken great steps to creating a more 24 hour neighborhood with more bars, stores and restaurants, State Street is becoming a more "everyday" shopping street.
- Colleges: The expansion of a number of colleges along with thousands of dorm rooms has created an interesting arts scene South of Congress, and brought a vibrant young culture along with it. The center of it is the superdorm on State St, composed of a number of colleges.
- River North: Although the architecture is bland, the nightlife in River North has exploded, centered on Hubbard Street.
- Streeterville: This has also seen a much needed injection of life, mostly thanks to the new 21 Screen AMC theatre, creating a buffer between the Mag Mile and Navy Pier.
- South Loop: This area literally went from nothing to part of the greater downtown area. Its slowly becoming a more "mature" nightlife destination, with a lot of professional upper middle class blacks moving in.
- West Loop: Its pretty much the same scenario as the South Loop, just immediately west of downtown, though the NIMBY imposed height limit has it looking like DC built on a grid.
- Infrastructure improvements: Daley was the master of building "pretty" median planters, streetlights, architectual features on bridges, walkways, etc. Rahm is following in his footsteps. Chicago's designers have a knack for that kind of construction.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
I have relatives in SF who believe Ed Lee is as corrupt as they come
This is not an issue to me if he is getting things done, which he really appears to be doing as far as growing jobs and building downtown.

San Francisco has it's own universal health care.

San Francisco has one of the best big city school districts and compares favorably on the whole to many suburban districts. Not perfect, but actually SFUSD is doing well all things considered.

San Francisco is fast attracting even more wealthy individuals who move in and increase the tax base by spending.

None of these accomplishments can be laid necessarily at Ed Lee's feet, but he doesn't have to deal with terrible schools, or uninsured people and he doesn't really have to deal with attracting high income people downtown-they are flocking there.

Of course crime and homelessness are issues and other things related to running a big city, but Ed Lee was handed a premier city on the upswing and he has continued that.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is not an issue to me if he is getting things done, which he really appears to be doing as far as growing jobs and building downtown.

San Francisco has it's own universal health care.

San Francisco has one of the best big city school districts and compares favorably on the whole to many suburban districts. Not perfect, but actually SFUSD is doing well all things considered.

San Francisco is fast attracting even more wealthy individuals who move in and increase the tax base by spending.

None of these accomplishments can be laid necessarily at Ed Lee's feet, but he doesn't have to deal with terrible schools, or uninsured people and he doesn't really have to deal with attracting high income people downtown-they are flocking there.

Of course crime and homelessness are issues and other things related to running a big city, but Ed Lee was handed a premier city on the upswing and he has continued that.
Universal health care is a great thing. Is Ed Lee really known to be favorable towards policies like that or is this more a holdover from previous administrations?

I don't really think the school district is the result of Ed or previous mayor's, at least not directly, so much as creating policies favorable to people of higher incomes and pushing people with lower incomes out. I don't think there are too many cities today/in recent years that have shown an ability to actually substantially move its denizens to higher socioeconomic brackets rather than simply pushing them out to wherever is less desirable. NYC had/has sort of been trying it, but it was looking more and more like it was going to head the same route as SF--DeBlasio and his administration is unlikely to do that because it's unlikely any mayoralty has the power to really to do that. Tant pis, right?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-03-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I have relatives in SF who believe Ed Lee is as corrupt as they come, but I don't always agree with them politically.
Well I'm sure a billion dollar per mile light rail line that dead ends in Chinatown wouldn't be built unless there was some corruption going on.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
I think a Chicago vs SF/Bay Area vs DC/Baltimore vs Greater Boston vs DFW Metroplex vs Greater Houston probably makes more sense (or just the first three or four) for a comparison. Putting NYC in there skews things a lot and putting LA in there runs the risk of running into sidelining the topic into whether or not LA is urban and what urbanity is.

Let's talk about soup and sandwiches

NYC has the Manhattan Clam Chowder and SF has Cioppino. I don't know what Chicago has as its city soup. What is it? My vote for the two I know is the Cioppino.

NYC has the Pastrami Sandwich and Chicago has the Italian Beef. I don't know what SF has as its city sandwich. What is it? My vote is for the Italian Beef (that and the LA French dip are on the top of the list for me, if we don't include Canadian works like the smoked meat sandwich of Montreal which I put in the same tier as the Italian Beef and French Dip).

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-04-2014 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well I'm sure a billion dollar per mile light rail line that dead ends in Chinatown wouldn't be built unless there was some corruption going on.
I don't know why they don't extend it all the way to North Beach and the Wharf? That would be stellar imo.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
I think a Chicago vs SF/Bay Area vs DC/Baltimore vs Greater Boston vs DFW Metroplex vs Greater Houston probably makes more sense (or just the first three or four) for a comparison. Putting NYC in there skews things a lot and putting LA in there runs the risk of running into sidelining the topic into whether or not LA is urban and what urbanity is.

Let's talk about soup and sandwiches

NYC has the Manhattan Clam Chowder and SF has Cioppino. I don't know what Chicago has as its city soup. What is it? My vote for the two I know is the Cioppino.

NYC has the Pastrami Sandwich and Chicago has the Italian Beef. I don't know what SF has as its city sandwich. What is it? My vote is for the Italian Beef (that and the LA French dip are on the top of the list for me, if we don't include Canadian works like the smoked meat sandwich of Montreal which I put in the same tier as the Italian Beef and French Dip).
Chicago isn't known for any seafood dishes/seafood soup and it's probably the cities worst category IMO... but I know some will disagree.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM

349 posts, read 573,323 times
I agree. Growing up in Chicago, I can't even stand the taste of most seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City