Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Seattle 101 48.56%
Atlanta 107 51.44%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:45 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,912,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Seattle easily, nothing is worse than heat. Clouds and rain don't make me depressed at all, they are really relief after heat.
That is easy for you to say. Not seeing the sun for months is depressing and I think Atlanta has better weather than Seattle overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,463,338 times
I don't live in a sunny climate. For comparsion:
Kharkiv - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (city where I live)
Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Seattle's sunshine data looks overstated because USA use different method when counting sunshine hours than rest of the world, but Kharkiv still not sunnier than Seattle (compare with Vancouver, which has generally the same climate as Seattle: Climate of Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia))

Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,230,534 times
Atlanta for the tropical summers and more sunshine.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,728,086 times
Atlanta.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,607,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
That is easy for you to say. Not seeing the sun for months is depressing and I think Atlanta has better weather than Seattle overall.
And there are those of us that feel the opposite way. Having to deal with oppressive heat and humidity for months on end is far more depressing to me than the months of grey drizzle we get here.

Not saying that one is better than the other. That's down to personal preference. Just saying that you'd be surprised how many people AREN'T affected negatively by the winter weather in the PNW.

It's also nice not having to worry about tornadoes and hurricanes. I know hurricanes aren't common in Atlanta, but you guys have had a few tornadoes.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:48 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,266,993 times
Seattle. Could never deal with Atlanta's oppressive heat and humidity and no beaches to escape it.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
And there are those of us that feel the opposite way. Having to deal with oppressive heat and humidity for months on end is far more depressing to me than the months of grey drizzle we get here.

Not saying that one is better than the other. That's down to personal preference. Just saying that you'd be surprised how many people AREN'T affected negatively by the winter weather in the PNW.

It's also nice not having to worry about tornadoes and hurricanes. I know hurricanes aren't common in Atlanta, but you guys have had a few tornadoes.
Different strokes for different folks. Atlanta is not hot and humid most of the year but Seattle is gloomy and wet most of the year. I'm willing to sacrafice a few humid days to not be doomed by gloom for most of the year. Atlanta doesn't get full blown hurricanes because the storm weakens when it reaches far inland. Seattle has a better chance of a mud-slide than Atlanta being effected by a hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Seattle. Could never deal with Atlanta's oppressive heat and humidity and no beaches to escape it.
I will gladly take three months of humidity over 9 months of gloom. Not enough sunshine to compliment the melanin in my bronze skin.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,634,518 times
I prefer Atlanta. I need to see the sun. What's the use of having beautiful mountains/etc if it is going to be raining all the time

Old 12-29-2013, 03:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,607,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Atlanta is not hot and humid most of the year but Seattle is gloomy and wet most of the year. I'm willing to sacrafice a few humid days to not be doomed by gloom for most of the year. Atlanta doesn't get full blown hurricanes because the storm weakens when it reaches far inland. Seattle has a better chance of a mud-slide than Atlanta being effected by a hurricane.

I will gladly take three months of humidity over 9 months of gloom. Not enough sunshine to compliment the melanin in my bronze skin.
You're still missing my point, which is that what you choose to call "doom and gloom", some of us actually don't mind. Hell, I even kind of like it. To me, "doom and gloom" is Atlanta summer weather. Once again, it's down to personal preferences.

9 months? Exaggerate much? More like 5, maybe 6 months. Our summers more than make up for it with months of sunshine and mild temps, and fall is usually pretty dry too. We're probably only very slightly more grey and rainy throughout the year than Atlanta is hot and muggy throughout the year. 3 months my a**. When I went to my brother's wedding in Atlanta it was quite uncomfortably hot and humid... and that was in October.

And though mudslides do occur in the mountain passes just outside the metro, they are very rare in the city. We're not SoCal. You never did address the tornadoes, which I find far more scary than hurricanes or mudslides.

I think you're just looking for excuses to talk down on Seattle, but I'm extremely happy for your bronze skin.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
You're still missing my point, which is that what you choose to call "doom and gloom", some of us actually don't mind. Hell, I even kind of like it. To me, "doom and gloom" is Atlanta summer weather. Once again, it's down to personal preferences.

9 months? Exaggerate much? More like 5, maybe 6 months. Our summers more than make up for it with months of sunshine and mild temps, and fall is usually pretty dry too. We're probably only very slightly more grey and rainy throughout the year than Atlanta is hot and muggy throughout the year. 3 months my a**. When I went to my brother's wedding in Atlanta it was quite uncomfortably hot and humid... and that was in October.

And though mudslides do occur in the mountain passes just outside the metro, they are very rare in the city. We're not SoCal. You never did address the tornadoes, which I find far more scary than hurricanes or mudslides.

I think you're just looking for excuses to talk down on Seattle, but I'm extremely happy for your bronze skin.
I'm not missing any point at all and Seattle has gloom most of the year. Lol don't even waste your time trying to compare Atlanta's sunlight hours to Seattle because it is a fact that Atlanta is far more sunnier. (Seattle annual sunshine hours average is 2019 and Atlanta's is 2821). Atlanta is only hot and humid from june to maybe the end of October and by halloween it is usually nice and cool in Atlanta. What about tornadoes (yes they occur in the south east just like every region is prone to some type of natural disaster but we are not tornado alley.) I'm not talking down on Seattle but
do think the weather sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City