Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 AM

211 posts, read 340,777 times

Advertisements

What an ugly thread and discussion. You should be able to find things to like about most any place in the United States and Huntsville and Birmingham are no exception. I like to live in Huntsville, I like to visit Birmingham. Works for me. Y'all are just participating in a personal argument at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Just curious, what/where do native Birminghamians consider "downtown"? 11th avenue north to 10th Avenue south, east of 65 west of 31? Does that cover downtown?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Just curious, what/where do native Birminghamians consider "downtown"? 11th avenue north to 10th Avenue south, east of 65 west of 31? Does that cover downtown?
Everything east of I-65 and west of US 31/280. Everything south of I-20/59 and north of Morris Ave.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM

So then the BJCC isn't downtown? Its north of 20/59.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,512 times
Huntsville will not ever resemble most parts of Birmingham ! The areas are populated with different PEOPLE, with different sorts of professions, cultural exposures and total life's experiences. Birmingham is far more parochial. Huntsville has attracted newcomers with different ideas, styles and demands for the last 60 years or so. You still hear feeble arguments that Birmingham is more Alabaman which shows a bit of cultural xenophobia. Lots of people who have transplanted to Huntsville don't seem to be preoccupied with this short of phony "authenticity". That's sort of rinkydink, small town stuff. Atlanta didn't become "Atlanta" just because of the "locals" and the authentic first residents of North Georgia ! LOL Neither did NYC, or Miami - or for that matter neither did Nashville quite frankly.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
I would pick HSV with one of my reasons being that it's safer, but since I left A&M about 8-9 years ago, I've saw articles and stories including:

- A "mall riot" over Jordan Sneakers being released
- An A&M student from St. Louis shot and killed while she sat in a car outside Benchwarmer's
- Another shooting at Benchwarmer's
- The famous "Bedroom Intruder" incident

+ an old friend told me it's "gotten bad" since those days.

Has it really? Is Huntsville really that much worse nowadays? For all I know these are just random incidents and it still could be pretty safe.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
So then the BJCC isn't downtown? Its north of 20/59.
Its just across the freeway, so yeah it could also be included.

There was a push to get 20/59 moved north along the Finley Blvd area. Right now its seen as a barrier between the BJCC and downtown.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybeaver View Post
Huntsville will not ever resemble most parts of Birmingham ! The areas are populated with different PEOPLE, with different sorts of professions, cultural exposures and total life's experiences. Birmingham is far more parochial. Huntsville has attracted newcomers with different ideas, styles and demands for the last 60 years or so. You still hear feeble arguments that Birmingham is more Alabaman which shows a bit of cultural xenophobia. Lots of people who have transplanted to Huntsville don't seem to be preoccupied with this short of phony "authenticity". That's sort of rinkydink, small town stuff. Atlanta didn't become "Atlanta" just because of the "locals" and the authentic first residents of North Georgia ! LOL Neither did NYC, or Miami - or for that matter neither did Nashville quite frankly.
Total BS.

Birmingham may have people who dont want to be lose it "authenticity" by being overran by people who move here from out of state, but they are about as irrelevant as people who consistantly troll on C-D.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Its just across the freeway, so yeah it could also be included.

There was a push to get 20/59 moved north along the Finley Blvd area. Right now its seen as a barrier between the BJCC and downtown.
The BJCC has to be downtown, and while most native Bhamians might not believe it is, most of us who visit the city frequently think and believe it is.

The reason I bring that up is just because I mentioned how safe I felt in that area. While other parts of downtown are safe and feel safe, I didn't feel safe in that area. Not saying Huntsville is any better. We got project housing right off Monroe in downtown. I know they are trying to relocate all that.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The BJCC has to be downtown, and while most native Bhamians might not believe it is, most of us who visit the city frequently think and believe it is.

The reason I bring that up is just because I mentioned how safe I felt in that area. While other parts of downtown are safe and feel safe, I didn't feel safe in that area. Not saying Huntsville is any better. We got project housing right off Monroe in downtown. I know they are trying to relocate all that.
You may of felt un-safe, but you have the same chances of having something happening to you at the Riverchase Galleria as you do at the BJCC. Crime and criminals are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City