Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 161 40.97%
Chicago 232 59.03%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM

210 posts, read 845,535 times

Advertisements

Honestly I am biased, but still..SF blows Chicago out of the water and I love chicago, as it is my favorite midwestern city. But nothing compares to the beauty of the bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
Anything in California>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicago.

chicago is such an ugly, cold POS, I don't know why it's popular on city data. It def isnt popular outside of this forum.
LOL! What makes you think Chicago isn't popular? Dementor, is that you in there?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
bullsh*t dementor. You're in White Plains at this very moment sucking bandwidth off your neighbor's wireless. Cut the crap.
HAHAHA

Oh man, dude you slay me. I put dementor on my ignore list, so the only way I can see what he writes is while simultaneously reading him getting TREATED by you. Perfection.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 PM

By the way, here's a thought for Dementor (whose response I won't be able to read, and that kills him a little inside):

Could it be that Chicago people stick around because it's SUCH A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE?
Maybe NYC people aren't "mobile." Maybe they are MOVING AWAY.

When you talk, sometimes I have to stop and silently thank you before responding. Your set ups are impeccable.

Anyway, have fun responding to this. I won't be able to read your vitriol!

IGNORE

Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
By the way, here's a thought for Dementor (whose response I won't be able to read, and that kills him a little inside):

Could it be that Chicago people stick around because it's SUCH A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE?

When you talk, sometimes I have to stop and silently thank you before responding. Your set ups are impeccable.

IGNORE
chitown2pa-- I certainly respect your impulse to ignore dementor, but I honestly have to question your motive. He is an absolute and endless source of amusement and curiosity. He's a car wreck in digital format. Why would you want to deny yourself this incredible option for amusement? It's better than going to the movies. Hell, it's better than watching Urban Cowboy! You should reconsider. You may regret the decision later in life.

Last edited by BigLake; 05-12-2009 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
chitown2pa-- I certainly respect your impulse to ignore dementor, but I honestly have to question your motive. He is an absolute and endless source of amusement and curiosity. He's a car wreck in digital format. Why would you want to deny yourself this incredible option for amusement? It's better than going to the movies. Hell, it's better than watching Urban Cowboy! You should reconsider. You may regret the decision later in life.
Ugh, now I'm so torn. For now, I enjoy knowing that it's eating away at him that I am not reading his responses. Because you know he spends so much time on each rebuttal, furiously looking up Chicago restaurants and neighborhoods on Wikipedia.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post

IGNORE
not a good argument.
Chicago has shed almost 1m since 1960, NYC has added over 1m.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not a good argument.
Chicago has shed almost 1m since 1960, NYC has added over 1m.
The actual City of Chicago has shrank over the years, but Chicagoland has managed to add residents and grow steadily for decades.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The actual City of Chicago has shrank over the years, but Chicagoland has managed to add residents and grow steadily for decades.
So does NYC metro. It does not explain though why both NYC metro and NYC grow while Chicago shrinks.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
So does NYC metro. It does not explain though why both NYC metro and NYC grow while Chicago shrinks.
Chicago city itself area shrank over the years because of the White Flight in the 1950s / 60s. And it continued to shrink due to inept city leadership and a general disdain / image of the city as being dangerous, and meant only for business.

NYC did too, but rebounded quickly. According to Wikipedia, NYC population shrank from 1970-1980. If I recall NYC actually had to file for bankruptcy during that time. But NYC is the financial capitol of the USA, so it's not surprising that others filled the gap.

It is good to keep in mind that the greater Chicagoland area has ~10 million residents now. That's not something to sneeze at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City