Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Los Angeles 87 32.22%
San Francisco 110 40.74%
San Diego 73 27.04%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 07:27 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times

Advertisements

These last two posts are hideous. Can we stay on topic. It may be helpful to provide facts about how SF dropped dramatically and how "devastating" the homeless problem is in SF. No other city spends as much as SF on homelessness due to the rest of the country "outsourcing" their homeless to SF because we actually believe in public services. For the record, SF has a low homicide rate (albeit a very high property crime rate - which is the city is working to fix). Also, no need to comment in this thread if you're making a blanket statement about California. It's an innovative and powerful state with tons of haters. Life goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 07:29 PM

Also - by any economic metric, SF is far from dropping dramatically. Actually, it's leading and has been for several years. Look at the city's per capita GDP and continued prominence in finance, healthcare, and of course tech despite its relatively compact scale.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
I took a rode trip from LA to San Diego recently. I don't hate it, I just find it sleepy, small townish, conservative and almost boring. Coronado Del Mar is absolutely beautiful and love Balboa Park. I thoroughly enjoyed those two places but after that I felt it was time to go back. San Diego is not known for it's great cuisine or music scene. And for its jaw dropping housing prices I feel you don't get much to go with it. I know! It seemed more of a place to go retire in and live a quiet retired happy senior citizen life.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 PM

335 posts, read 356,693 times
SF is too damn cold. SD is actually better than LA but too small. I choose LA

Old 08-27-2019, 08:26 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Also - by any economic metric, SF is far from dropping dramatically. Actually, it's leading and has been for several years. Look at the city's per capita GDP and continued prominence in finance, healthcare, and of course tech despite its relatively compact scale.
Yeah that stuff is all on nice paper, but living there sucks and most people would not be down with it. LA is the much better city. The only thing SF had over LA was being more urban with better public transit. Well, now that LA is building up and urbanizing all the way from DTLA to Santa Monica and its adding many miles of subway/light rail tracks, SF doesn't even have an easy win on that. DTLA is a fantastic urban neighborhood...maybe one of the best in the country. It's possible to live in DTLA/Mid-Wilshire/Hollywood/WeHo without a car or in a car-light household and walk/take public transit/bike places. LA has the friendlier people, more attractive people, the better weather, better nightlife, better food, more affordable housing (comparatively), and is just overall the better place to live for most people.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:16 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah that stuff is all on nice paper, but living there sucks and most people would not be down with it. LA is the much better city. The only thing SF had over LA was being more urban with better public transit.
The 'only' thing? That's a HUGE thing.

SF is a much more pleasant place too imo.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Yeah that stuff is all on nice paper, but living there sucks and most people would not be down with it. LA is the much better city. The only thing SF had over LA was being more urban with better public transit. Well, now that LA is building up and urbanizing all the way from DTLA to Santa Monica and its adding many miles of subway/light rail tracks, SF doesn't even have an easy win on that. DTLA is a fantastic urban neighborhood...maybe one of the best in the country. It's possible to live in DTLA/Mid-Wilshire/Hollywood/WeHo without a car or in a car-light household and walk/take public transit/bike places. LA has the friendlier people, more attractive people, the better weather, better nightlife, better food, more affordable housing (comparatively), and is just overall the better place to live for most people.
Yea. I mean SF is more urban. So if you want to pretend you live in Queens or something, I guess SF is the closest you will get on the west Coast.

But yea, better nightlife, better cuisine (SF only wins in fine dining), better and more nightlife, , better and more entertainment venues (sports, performing arts, etc.) more things to do. It's just not even close.

LA is like NYC, in that you can discover new things your whole life there. SF is the type of city you can figure out in a couple years. SD is the type of town you can figure out in a month and a huge snooze fest.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Do you live in SF? I live here and enjoy it quite immensely. LA is great and I love California, but let's be mindful of blanket statements not rooted in facts/data.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:11 AM

52 posts, read 36,411 times
San Francisco has to take the cake on this one

Old 08-28-2019, 01:22 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
I pick LA. I dont like SD or SF architecture. Quite boring. I like the different mixes of style over the many generations especially googie, art deco/streamline moderne, and mid century modern. There is no single style that dominates the city/metro which makes for more interesting styles good or bad but also allows for new future buildings in these mixed style neighborhoods. I prefer the varying weather of LA area, too but similar to SD weather. I like that there are so many different areas of LA to experience that vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. I think having so many large ethnic populations help to make many of them distinct. I love that there is so much happening in LA now that ever before. Soon to have a superbowl, world cup match, and a third Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City