Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,748,352 times

Advertisements

How about ...Quality of life ?

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No need to be resentful. You still have much taller buildings.

Hurray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 AM

36,693 posts, read 67,721,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
I guess a guy from Oakland is smarter than many world-renowned scholars who helped Mastercard to come up with that study.
Actually, I think I subscribe to the same formula used by G8 and now G20 summits. The biggest economies have a place at the table.

The most 5-star hotel rooms do not.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 AM

You did not read the MasterCard research; plain & simple. It's obvious that you're only interested in stats & raw numbers. You rejected the study because MasterCard ranks S.F & LA far down the list. If this ranking favored S.F & LA, you would praise it the same way you've been defending your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually, I think I subscribe to the same formula used by G8 and now G20 summits. The biggest economies have a place at the table.

The most 5-star hotel rooms do not.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 AM

246 posts, read 760,436 times
Wow, the results of this poll are laughably absurd. Must be a lot of Chicagoans and Bostonians voting...Chicago the #2 city over LA? What? Dont get me wrong, I prefer Chicago many times over, but LA is clearly, without a doubt the #2 most important city in this country.

Also, Boston has that many more votes than San Francisco? The Bay Area as a whole is at least as important as the Boston Metro Area culturally and economically, same goes for the cities of SF and Boston themselves.

I would rank it:

1) NYC

2) LA

3) Chicago

4) DC

5) San Francisco

6) Boston

To me, 1 and 2 are obvious and you'd have to be somewhat dillusional to think otherwise. I could see switching 3 and 4, or perhaps 5 and 6 though...

Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 AM

188 posts, read 522,010 times
I find it humorous how Chicago always manages to defeat any other city (including New York City in some instances) it's pit up against.

Something tells me that there's a ridiculous amount of bias towards the Windy City on CityData. I don't know. I guess I would have to live there a considerable amount of time in order to fully understand it. Maybe Chicago really is that important.

However, I just can't bring myself to label Chicago as the number 2 city. Los Angeles and DC feel like they have a lot more things happening at a grander scale than Chicago.

Also, as much as I love the city, Houston really doesn't belong on this list. It's more of an upper third tier city.

Here would be my rankings:

1. NYC
2. DC
3. LA
4. Chi
5. Boston
6. SF

10. Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
We get most of our oil from Canada anyway.
Seriously, you need to go hurt yourself.

Last edited by TXperson; 05-22-2009 at 03:26 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 04:00 AM

221 posts, read 799,696 times
Boston also seems to have its share of ridiculous homers on this site. As someone already said, it is generally agreed that SF and Boston (cities and metros) are very comparable (interchangeable 5th and 6th)--no way should Boston have that many more votes.

Now, in terms of cultural importance and influence alone, I say both Boston and SF actually surpass Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
I find it humorous how Chicago always manages to defeat any other city (including New York City in some instances) it's pit up against.

Something tells me that there's a ridiculous amount of bias towards the Windy City on CityData. I don't know. I guess I would have to live there a considerable amount of time in order to fully understand it. Maybe Chicago really is that important.

However, I just can't bring myself to label Chicago as the number 2 city. Los Angeles and DC feel like they have a lot more things happening at a grander scale than Chicago.

Also, as much as I love the city, Houston really doesn't belong on this list. It's more of an upper third tier city.

Here would be my rankings:

1. NYC
2. DC
3. LA
4. Chi
5. Boston
6. SF

10. Houston

Seriously, you need to go hurt yourself.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 AM

20,532 posts, read 33,653,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post

Now, in terms of cultural importance and influence alone, I say both Boston and SF actually surpass Chicago.
Why?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 AM

New York wins almost every contest so there must be a bias problem, huh??. I think people are smart to distinguish the difference between popularity & importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Wow, the results of this poll are laughably absurd. Must be a lot of Chicagoans and Bostonians voting...Chicago the #2 city over LA? What? Dont get me wrong, I prefer Chicago many times over, but LA is clearly, without a doubt the #2 most important city in this country.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,160,239 times
^^ In response to the last few posts, how many people have actually spent time in Chicago? How many know about Chicago's history or past?

It doesn't get the media attention that a lot of other cities get. You could argue whether it deserves to be #2 or #3...but I don't think some of you have been to Chicago lately.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,493,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
Boston also seems to have its share of ridiculous homers on this site. As someone already said, it is generally agreed that SF and Boston (cities and metros) are very comparable (interchangeable 5th and 6th)--no way should Boston have that many more votes.

The thing is, there aren't many people from Boston on this site. That's why I posted earlier that I was so surprised that Boston was getting so many votes. The only Boston people on this board I can think of are lrfox, mattcind, and myself...and I voted for DC! haha. So unless lrfox and mattcind are making up false names in order to boost Boston's stats--which I doubt, neither of them are trolls and I doubt either of them would argue Boston is the second most important city in the country (maybe second best city in the country, but that's a whole new thread )--I'm not sure what explanation there could be.

There's obviously a massive amount of Chicago people here, which explains their dominance in the poll...but there really aren't many Boston people. Honest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City