Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:56 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,400,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Economic power, finance & innovation, cultural strength, political clout, top-notch architecture, rich history, transportation hub, one of a few most accepted urban paradigms of the United States, leader in Green initiatives..etc those are the major strengths that make Chicago the #2 most important city in America.
The second most important city in the United States Is Washington, DC. There is no debating that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM

36,697 posts, read 67,725,600 times
Quote:
Economic power, finance & innovation,
Innovation is practically owned by The Bay Area. Im surprised you even went there.

Quote:
cultural strength
Another category where SF is far more relevant in 2009, and going back what? 50 years?

Quote:
political clout
Chicago politics is not something that I would brag about.

Quote:
top-notch architecture,
Yes, this is one category where I'll concede. Chicago is an architecture-lovers dream.

Quote:
rich history,
Name a city that doesnt have a rich history?

Quote:
transportation hub,
Yes, I'll give you that.

Quote:
one of a few most accepted urban paradigms of the United States,
What does this mean?

Quote:
leader in Green initiatives
From pioneering environmental causes to pioneering green technology, the Bay Area has no peer in this country.

Quote:
..etc those are the major strengths that make Chicago the #2 most important city in America.
Of all the things you mention, the only ones that really make sense are Finance, Transportation and Architecture(although Architecture isnt really a main factor in overall importance.)

Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 AM

467 posts, read 876,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
The second most important city in the United States Is Washington, DC. There is no debating that.

I am sorry prelude but you announcing that there is no debate does not mean we all have to comply
I say, economically the second most important city is LA, culture-wise -LA, politically it is disputable if the number one (not two) is either NYC or DC. Outside of politics there is hardly anything that would make DC number one or two city in the US. I would agree however that DC is number three city in the US based on all mentioned above factors.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:02 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,748,410 times
No. I don't need your ignorant statements to tell me how important Chicago is or how relevant LA to the global economy. If you read those studies that I already mentioned, you would not be uninformed like that. Btw, the LA/Hollywood global media powerhouse is largely controlled by firms & corporations in New York and a few other places so what ??

Also, I was referring to the type of "control" based on the prices of goods and products produced by that economy. btw, how many major F500 companies are there in LA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Do you really think that Chicago with $200B smaller output is as economically relevant as LA or maybe that Chicago cultural output and standing can be compared to LA/Hollywod global media powerhouse? Or maybe you think that Chicago/Illiinois "fame" as the most corrupt city/region in the nationa can be stacked against LA/California's standing in the US? That's not even wishful thinking that's simply absurd. Do you honestly believe what you just typed????

PS. Since most of Chicago companies, including CME Inc. are traded on Wall Street would you also agree than New York controls Chicago business?. I would like to hear that

Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
No. I don't need your ignorant statements to tell me how important Chicago is or how relevant LA to the global economy.
You see, you can't even have a civilized argument, you just called my arguments ignorant. Civility is another reason why Chicago could never be number two or even three in the nation.

Quote:
If you read those studies that I already mentioned, you would not be uninformed like that. Btw, the LA/Hollywood global media powerhouse is largely controlled by firms & corporations in New York and a few other places so what ??

Also, I was referring to the type of "control" based on the prices of goods and products produced by that economy. btw, how many major F500 companies are there in LA?
And who cares? Many of F100 companies of yesterday are dying dinsoaurus today. Revenue is revenue no matter if produced by F100 companies or street vendors. A smelly, dirty dollar is worth as much as fresh pressed one. It's a terrible sin when poeple mix economics with ideology or sentiments. What really counts are the actual numbers and those as you know, are in LA's favor...
Plug the $200B gap between LA and Chicago and then we'll talk

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-23-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Btw, the LA/Hollywood global media powerhouse is largely controlled by firms & corporations in New York and a few other places so what ??
And so are most of the major players in Chicago's Finance Sector.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:14 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,748,410 times
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
No.
Well, what major financial institutions are Chicago-based?

Namely Banks, Stock Brokerages etc.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by 18Montclair

Quote:
No.

Guess what, downtown1? CME Group Inc. - NASDAQ: CME

Old 05-23-2009, 10:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,681,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, what major financial institutions are Chicago-based?

Namely Banks, Stock Brokerages etc.
Banks, not so much. Chicago has the commodities market as its own as well as the derivatives market.

Derivatives are the backbone of the financial industry. They are the Alpha, the Omega. Light-Bringer, Destroyer of Worlds. The most complicated of all financial instruments.

It's also dominated by a wholly-owned Chicago firm. CBOT/CME.

They're also looking to buy the NYSE. To give you an idea of the volume and scale of things, Chicago's derivative industry could buy the entire New York financial scene with the spare change it could find in its couches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City