Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,678,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikelady View Post
The struggle to break racial stereotypes, get along with other races, and overcome your poor/ghetto-ridden roots ... are very much values that most of the country is rooting for. Chicago is the face of hard work. The media supports this especially for blacks, and for other races as well (look at the last winner on American Idol). Chicago is also the economic capital of the midwest; it's a HUGE area among others.

Los Angeles does not portray this culture. Los Angeles' culture consists of illegal Mexican immigration and materialism. The reason this culture is less significant than Chicago's is: 1) No one outside of the southwest experiences this specific illegal Mexican immigrant issue and all that entails first hand, (unlike the black-underdog-issue of Chicago which is relatable all over the north and south) 2) Everywhere has always had materialistic areas, most with no LA-influence.

Oh, and the "illegals" world is completely different in Chicago than LA; both have many illegals of every type but the emphasis and "culture" pertaining to them is different; if you have to question me about it, you have obviously never been to either city--and should leave.

This isn't a bash against LA, I'm just answering the topic.

LA is great. For a tan.
I am - admittedly - coming into this thread with about 3000 pages of prior posts, so pardon me if I'm not COMPLETELY on topic But, I have to ask ... Are you on drugs of some kind?

Chicago has - and has had for decades - one of the largest illegal Mexican populations in the country.

Chicago has MUCH more racial segregation than LA. Don't believe me? Then perhaps you'll believe the US Census - American Idol nothwithstanding (madam, you are truly a product of 21st century America ). Just ask people on the South and West Sides how "integrated" they feel with people from Andersonville (for example).

The experience of latino/as, BTW, is increasingly "relatable" across the entire country.

LA is great, and so is Chicago, and for a lot more than tans and snowstorms, BTW.

Peace out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,584,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I am - admittedly - coming into this thread with about 3000 pages of prior posts, so pardon me if I'm not COMPLETELY on topic But, I have to ask ... Are you on drugs of some kind?

Chicago has - and has had for decades - one of the largest illegal Mexican populations in the country.

Chicago has MUCH more racial segregation than LA. Don't believe me? Then perhaps you'll believe the US Census - American Idol nothwithstanding (madam, you are truly a product of 21st century America ). Just ask people on the South and West Sides how "integrated" they feel with people from Andersonville (for example).

The experience of latino/as, BTW, is increasingly "relatable" across the entire country.

LA is great, and so is Chicago, and for a lot more than tans and snowstorms, BTW.

Peace out.
not to nitpick but andersonville, edgewater and on up into Rogers Park is pretty diverse... some of the most diverse areas in the U.S., pretty sure 2nd to Queens, NY. Better example might be Lincoln Park...and yes a lot of Chicago is segregated.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Which is the second most important city in the US based on its cultural and economical contribution to the nation?
Please vote....
One of the most important factor that a succesful city should be graded on is: The number Manufacturing jobs. Most cities who have gotten the most votes here have lost an enormous amount of their manufacuring jobs recently. However, Houston is the no. 1 city with the most manufacturing jobs.

TOP 50 U.S. CITIES BY NUMBER OF INDUSTRIAL JOBS
Source: Manufacturers' News, Inc. December 2010

RANK STATE CITY INDUSTRIAL JOBS

1 TX Houston 228,226
2 NY New York 139,127
3 IL Chicago 108,692
4 CA Los Angeles 83,719
5 MO St. Louis 83,123
6 TX Dallas 81,626
7 OH Cincinnati 81,364
8 IN Indianapolis 79,566
9 AZ Phoenix 77,322
10 CA San Diego 70,709

Last edited by cjester; 12-31-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: font

Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,494,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
One of the most important factor that a succesful city should be graded on is: The number Manufacturing jobs. Most cities who have gotten the most votes here have lost an enormous amount of their manufacuring jobs recently. However, Houston is the no. 1 city with the most manufacturing jobs.

TOP 50 U.S. CITIES BY NUMBER OF INDUSTRIAL JOBS
Source: Manufacturers' News, Inc. December 2010

RANK STATE CITY INDUSTRIAL JOBS

1 TX Houston 228,226
2 NY New York 139,127
3 IL Chicago 108,692
4 CA Los Angeles 83,719
5 MO St. Louis 83,123
6 TX Dallas 81,626
7 OH Cincinnati 81,364
8 IN Indianapolis 79,566
9 AZ Phoenix 77,322
10 CA San Diego 70,709
How are manufacturing jobs any more important than other jobs?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 PM

24 posts, read 42,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
of course this is a bash against LA; to suggest otherwise is extremely disingenuous.

your post is a massive fail, as it's based on stereotypes, sweeping generalizations, and personal biases rather than substance.
-You fail

-You know nothing of Chicago

-You didn't even read the topic question

-Learn proper capitalization

Old 12-31-2010, 02:05 PM

28 posts, read 57,232 times
Probably Chicago because of it's dominance over the midwest, whereas LA does not dominate other cities for the southwest.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How are manufacturing jobs any more important than other jobs?
People get a paycheck as opposed to getting foodstamps. Besides those are the jobs many other cities would love to have.
FYI Houston ranks pretty high with high-tech jobs also.
And that doesn't take into account all those tens of thousands of medical researchers with advanced degrees who are doing research at the world's largest medical center in Houston.

Houston ranks 10th in U.S. for high-tech jobs | Houston Business Journal

Last edited by cjester; 12-31-2010 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

765 posts, read 1,865,014 times
Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington have enough credibility to be considered #2. San Francisco would follow after these three, then Houston and Boston fight it out from there. If we are talking metros, then DMV, Inland Empire, Chicagoland and the Bay Area are all really close in terms of importance and relevance to world. Of course the New York Tri-State Area is heads and shoulders above all of these metros.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:36 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,494,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
People get a paycheck as opposed to getting foodstamps. Besides those are the jobs many other cities would love to have.
FYI Houston ranks pretty high with high-tech jobs also.

Houston ranks 10th in U.S. for high-tech jobs | Houston Business Journal
I still don't really consider those to be more important than other jobs. Low-wage jobs are available outside of factories.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I still don't really consider those to be more important than other jobs. Low-wage jobs are available outside of factories.
Most of Houston's INDUSTRIAL JOBS are high paying jobs (refineries, pipe manufacturing, cement and plastics) come to mind. I am sure the people who work there consider them very important.
However, If you are really into super important jobs such as brain surgeons, heart surgeon and translational professionals, I am sure Houston has more of them than the other cities mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City