Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,671,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not to nitpick but andersonville, edgewater and on up into Rogers Park is pretty diverse... some of the most diverse areas in the U.S., pretty sure 2nd to Queens, NY. Better example might be Lincoln Park...and yes a lot of Chicago is segregated.
But you are nitpicking, aren't you? We're talking about black people and they don't exist in any sizable number in the neighborhoods you mentioned. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 03:59 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
But you are nitpicking, aren't you? We're talking about black people and they don't exist in any sizable number in the neighborhoods you mentioned. Period.
Rogers Park is 30% black and Edgewater is 17% black.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:04 PM

22 posts, read 21,650 times
la

Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,671,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Rogers Park is 30% black and Edgewater is 17% black.
Actually, it depends on where you look - based on the data I'm looking at, both are about 20 - 25% (depending on the census tract). But, your point is well-taken, both are more integrated than they used to be. Thanks for educating me on the change (really, I mean it). Still doesn't change my point to the original poster. The city is still - in the aggegate - much more segregated than LA, though not as bad as NYC, which is one of the most segregated cities in the country.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,161 times
enough of all that this city has this kind of POWER and that city has that kind of POWER crap... at the end of the DAY theirs only one POWER that foresees all of that economic, financial, and culture power gibberish so lets just cut to the chase.... what city actually has that "Do as I say" POWER??? What city actually makes commands that all other cities must follow suite of???... What city has the leader of all Leaders residing within its City limits???

Look folks..... Weather we like it or not....theirs only one city that we can think of with those powers and that city my Friends is Washington, DC.... not NY, LA or Chicago... even tho they are all rulers of they're own little Worlds, but neither of them can call any shots for crying out loud... so how can they be more powerful when they cant even appoint one single rule or law that not even one city or state is obligated to follow... WOW that's some power ...... Washington, DC is where the real POWER is and not any of that other crap that you guys have been mentioning.... Now dont get me wrong.... Economic, Financial, and all those other types of powers that some of you were talking about does play key rolls in our country and perhaps maybe even the world... but neither of those powers can go as far or touch on the kinds of things or issues that the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT can and the home of the US GOVT. is indeed in Washington, DC ...... I honestly dont see how any place where Laws are made, The President of the country Lives, where Nuclear Weapons are controlled, and Can send an entire country to War at anytime can have less Power than Cities that has financial or economic power .. that just doesnt add up to me ... do you guys really think that those top CEO's and Executives of those big Financial companies have more power than the President and the people of Congress?? or are you like me and think that its the other way around??? ohh and here's another question.... Which Category of Power holds the most Power Ultimately between Economical power, Financial Power, and Government Power??? the one with the most power would be the one that could forsee or take over the other one if it is not ran correctly.... Once you evaluate those three Powers firts..... then I promise you that you'll come up with the answer for which City Ultimately holds the most power... and that my friends is Washington

Most Powerful City in the Nation/World Like it or not

http://www.dancewithshadows.com/politics/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/barack-obama-presidential-oath-swearing-in.jpg (broken link)

^^^^ This is where the real Power is Folks

Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,161 times
No city has so much Power that they're above the law, but who makes the Laws???? right... the Fed Govt does... and lastly what City is Home to the Fed Govt???..... enough said... Washington calls the shots and no one else can regardless of what "kind" of power they have... if its not enough to give orders then its not as powerful than the kind of Power that Washington, DC has and thats that!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
No I'm not nitpicking, those areas have substantial black populations complete with gang activity... It is nothing new, I used to hang in RP 10 years ago and in both those hoods weekly.

Rogers Park
Population (2000)
- Total 63,484
- Density 34,326.3/sq mi (13,253.4/km2)
Demographics
- White 31.8%
- Black 29.6%
- Hispanic 27.8%
- Asian 6.40%
- Other 4.48%

Edgewater
Population (2000)
- Total 62,198
- Density 36,363.9/sq mi (14,040.2/km2)
Demographics
- White 47.9%
- Black 17.0%
- Hispanic 19.6%
- Asian 11.5%
- Other 9.93%

or we can go a bit south to Uptown, even more blacks... Hrrm...

Uptown
Population (2000)
- Total 63,551
- Density 27,027.3/sq mi (10,435.3/km2)
Demographics
- White 42.2%
- Black 21.1%
- Hispanic 19.9%
- Asian 12.9%
- Other 3.89%

What was that you were saying??? Why would it be less segregated than LA? LA

lets look at Chicago and LA pre ww2

City/State/Pop/Sq Miles/Density
Chicago Illinois 3,396,808 206.7 16,434
Los Angeles California 1,504,277 448.3 3,356

that should be your answer.

LA has a much different immigration pattern, 78% of LA immigration since WW2 has been hispanic.

Last edited by grapico; 01-01-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,726,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
No city has so much Power that they're above the law, but who makes the Laws???? right... the Fed Govt does... and lastly what City is Home to the Fed Govt???..... enough said... Washington calls the shots and no one else can regardless of what "kind" of power they have... if its not enough to give orders then its not as powerful than the kind of Power that Washington, DC has and thats that!!!!
DC belongs to us collectively, we don't belong to DC.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Most politicians do what ever they are paid to do. Money really runs the world, not politics.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,015 times
LA is segregated too, in fact mexicans are killing blacks just for being black in LA, you don't see that in Chicago.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA8Br3_FIRg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City