Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 AM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
No. CNN made it a global news. You are famous now

I do not think so. You can count celebrities living in Chicago using your 10 fingers. Not much for the third largest city in the US.

No. I would say culture is culture. Architecture and economics is architecture and economics.

You mentioned just a few names, most of them really obscure. Not much of an cultural input.

Worse than both NY and LA. There is a innocent bystander (usually a kid) shot almost every day. CPD can't even catch a cold.
I addressed mostly the degree to which those statements were ridiculous (avoid Chicago like the plague? Not even close). I'd say Blago isn't Chicago--as closely as one might want to tie the state and city together. Architecture is definitely a cultural commodity among other things. Your statement's equivalent to saying music is music or paintings are paintings or television is television as if stating the specific then makes it no longer part of the general culture. As far as economics goes, its cultural impact is pervasive as it radically changes how a society works.

I guess if you want names that more people would recognize, there's this list here: List of people from Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't point to who actually lives in Chicago home aside from Oprah in addition to James Belushi, Kanye West, Jesse Jackson (guy's a celebrity, make no bones about it), Lupe Fiasco, R. Kelly, Louis Farrakhan and Ira Glass--it's likely that more than ten of the living and notable on that list still do live in city, but I haven't exactly kept tabs on everyone, y'know? Also, it's notable that Barak Obama has and still does make references to Hyde Park as home.

The few names I did put in was mostly because of my personal preference, but I'll argue that Chicago blues and house are wildly influential even if you don't know the names of the people involved. As for Steve Albini, I'd say his "sound" had a big impact even if you didn't know who was producing those sounds.

Another field that Chicago has a notable influence on is comedy--it's remarkable how many comedy writers and performers come out of the city and the second city improv group in particular. David and Amy Sedaris, Tina Fey, the Belushi brothers, Michael Ian Black, Steve Carrell, Stephen Colbert, Bernie Mac, Chris Farley, and Horatio Sanz are the more current output that were made in Chicago before being exported out. I guess the city's got to find something to laugh about during their miserable winters.

Yea, Chicago definitely needs to crack down on crime like NYC and LA are doing. Supposedly they're starting to implement the same tactics that Giuliani did in NYC (that then got shipped to LA and is now headed to Chicago). It seems to be pretty effective, but who knows if they'll still work if poverty and unemployment rates keep going up. Again, Chicago is by no means great when it comes to crime, and the fact that there are cities in the US that are far worse is pretty appalling. Anyhow, I got to watch two kids get shot in Bed-Stuy a few weeks ago. It was pretty neat.

I guess it's understood we're not talking to you to rationally argue with your cherrypicking, but it's good to have a venue to do some Chicago boosterism. Thanks for that, because Chicago does need someone to be a bugbear that shows how ridiculous some people's negative misconceptions of the city are. It's too bad so many other posters flip a ****.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 AM

Now back to architecture:

I like Chicago's monumental architecture more than I like NYC's, but those brownstones are to die for. Though I'm a heretic, and I want to do massive gutting and refurbishing of them--elevators for anything above three floors, better layouts, more soundproofing, and getting rid of clanking radiators and creaky floors.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,293,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I addressed mostly the degree to which those statements were ridiculous (avoid Chicago like the plague? Not even close).I guess if you want names that more people would recognize, there's this list here: List of people from Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't point to who actually lives in Chicago home aside from Oprah in addition to James Belushi, Kanye West, Jesse Jackson (guy's a celebrity, make no bones about it), Lupe Fiasco, R. Kelly, Louis Farrakhan and Ira Glass--it's likely that more than ten of the living and notable on that list still do live in city, but I haven't exactly kept tabs on everyone, y'know? Also, it's notable that Barak Obama has and still does make references to Hyde Park as home.

Another field that Chicago has a notable influence on is comedy--it's remarkable how many comedy writers and performers come out of the city and the second city improv group in particular. David and Amy Sedaris, Tina Fey, the Belushi brothers, Michael Ian Black, Steve Carrell, Stephen Colbert, Bernie Mac, Chris Farley, and Horatio Sanz are the more current output that were made in Chicago before being exported out.
I guess it's understood we're not talking to you to rationally argue with your cherrypicking, but it's good to have a venue to do some Chicago boosterism. Thanks for that, because Chicago does need someone to be a bugbear that shows how ridiculous some people's negative misconceptions of the city are. It's too bad so many other posters flip a ****.

Your post proved all my points as expected. It's hard to argue with reality. In your post you counted less then 10 celebrities still living in Chicago - not much for the third largest city in the US..... Even the list of celebrities from Chicago you provided proves my point as most of them left the city as soon as they made a name and never came back. Chicago really is avoided by celebrities like a plague. This is not a misconception, that's reality.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,244,791 times
Why do you care about celebreties and their lives?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
New York is the ugliest city I've ever seen. Trash on the ground, dirty buildings, nasty subways, yuck. I'll take Chicago anyday.
Besides the claustrophobia for this Texan, it was hard to comprehend going in and out of a commuter train in an underground concourse at Grand Central Station. That's why L.A. is the largest city I can live in.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
He dreams of being a Jonas Brother.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Why do I care if established actors, produceres, directors, singers, writers, painters and media personalities live in my city?

Because I need culture ane they bring it. Because they often teach in local schools (Baldwin, Spike Lee). Because they start new cultural events (De Niro - Tribeca Film Festival).

You can only dream about world class culture without world-class perfromers. That's reality and Chicago lacks that.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Your post proved all my points as expected. It's hard to argue with reality. In your post you counted less then 10 celebrities still living in Chicago - not much for the third largest city in the US..... Even the list of celebrities from Chicago you provided proves my point as most of them left the city as soon as they made a name and never came back. Chicago really is avoided by celebrities like a plague. This is not a misconception, that's reality.
Sorry, I had no idea mentioning Joan Cusack and Jerry Springer meant so much to you--I had placed the emphasis on the talent that Chicago produces which seems more closely tied to how culturally influential the city is rather than who maintains a residency there now.

Also, a lot of others visit fairly often due to having performances there, visiting family due to the large number of talent that Chicago produces, or that odd obsessiveness people have with Chicago sports. All in all, I can't see how that adds up to being celebrities avoiding Chicago like the plague. If that were the case, then the only US cities that celebrities don't avoid like an even worse plague would be NYC and LA--which is reasonable given those are the largest and second largest cities.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,774,687 times
What Chicago monumental architecture is better than NYC? I don't see it.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I had no idea mentioning Joan Cusack and Jerry Springer meant so much to you--I had placed the emphasis on the talent that Chicago produces which seems more closely tied to how culturally influential the city is rather than who maintains a residency there now.
And I don't really care who was born where. It;s not anybody's choice. My question is why that local talent that Chicago supposedly produces leaves the city and never comes back? What is wrong with Chicago, this supposedly cultured city with vibrant cultural life that all talented people leave at the first opportunity and the void is not filled by other from other locations?

Quote:
Also, a lot of others visit fairly often due to having performances there, visiting family due to the large number of talent that Chicago produces, or that odd obsessiveness people have with Chicago sports. All in all, I can't see how that adds up to being celebrities avoiding Chicago like the plague. If that were the case, then the only US cities that celebrities don't avoid like an even worse plague would be NYC and LA--which is reasonable given those are the largest and second largest cities.. .
I do not think celebrities chose residence based on population but rather quality they can get. Chicago does not offer much in terms of quality in dining, theater, social life, art despite all your pompous claims. If they were any good the rich and famous would be taking advantage of it. They are smart and they have means to relocate on the fly.

Last edited by dementor; 05-13-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City