Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Is is so hard to grasp? The thir largest city in the US has only a handufl of celebrities or established artists. Even those born and raised in Chicago live the city as soon as they can. What is here to understand?

Chicago is not influential. It would be if that local talent stayed in Chicago instead. You do not export any artist from Chicago, they escape from the city as soon as they can and never come back.
How hard is it to figure out that the third largest city would end up with the third largest number of celebrities? Or that maybe no one's done a particularly good job of compiling all the celebrities that keep residences in Chicago or perhaps any other city? Or that when we're talking about influence, Chicago has produced incredibly influential people who were in turn influenced by Chicago? You're just getting lazy--you were better at this before. I think the volume you're handling has been a bit much for you.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How hard is it to figure out that the third largest city would end up with the third largest number of celebrities? Or that maybe no one's done a particularly good job of compiling all the celebrities that keep residences in Chicago or perhaps any other city? Or that when we're talking about influence, Chicago has produced incredibly influential people who were in turn influenced by Chicago? You're just getting lazy--you were better at this before. I think the volume you're handling has been a bit much for you.
As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.

Chicago doesn't have the third largest amount of celebrities. It's Los Angeles/New York/Miami/Atlanta/San Francisco. Las Vegas even has more.

Why would anyone of significant wealth want to live in Chicago? It's the poor person's New York. And no, Kanye West doesn't live in Chicago; he lives in NYC and Los Angeles. He lives in a loft in one of my friend's building in SoHo to be exact.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,293,363 times
Quote:

But why? Do you think celebrities chose location based on population?

Go ahead, compile a better list of celebrities residing in Chicago. Maybe you'll learn something in the process.

Chicago has produced incredibly influential people who were in turn influenced by Chicago? You're just getting lazy--you were better at this before. I think the volume you're handling has been a bit much for you

You know. Statement like this w/o any supporting evidence/names is just another empty claim Chicago made us used to.
Just do not bring up the fact that you invented the skyscpraper again, OK?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
What Chicago monumental architecture is better than NYC? I don't see it.
Well, it's two things. I find the skyline layout (the height, profile, and setting) of Chicago more appealing. Also, I like the the individual buildings of Chicago better than I like those of NYC. Beaux-Arts architecture I'd put about equal for the two, while Art Deco is certainly in NYC's favor. Modern and kinda-category of postmodern goes to Chicago without much effort. The buildings that are particularly impressive are the Sears Tower, Marina City, and the Tribune Tower. I certainly love a lot of the buildings in NYC, but I feel like Chicago edges out NYC in the boldness and variety of its buildings--which I guess I should be ashamed of since I'm a New Yorker.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Well, it's two things. I find the skyline layout (the height, profile, and setting) of Chicago more appealing. Also, I like the the individual buildings of Chicago better than I like those of NYC. Beaux-Arts architecture I'd put about equal for the two, while Art Deco is certainly in NYC's favor. Modern and kinda-category of postmodern goes to Chicago without much effort. The buildings that are particularly impressive are the Sears Tower, Marina City, and the Tribune Tower. I certainly love a lot of the buildings in NYC, but I feel like Chicago edges out NYC in the boldness and variety of its buildings--which I guess I should be ashamed of since I'm a New Yorker.
Have you seen all the individual buildings of New York City to come to that conclusion? It's easy to see them all in Chicago, but I highly doubt you've seen all New York City buildings.

Obviously, New York City has far more beautiful buildings than NYC obviously since it has 5X the amount.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
But why? Do you think celebrities chose location based on population?

Go ahead, compile a better list of celebrities residing in Chicago. Maybe you'll learn something in the process.

Chicago has produced incredibly influential people who were in turn influenced by Chicago? You're just getting lazy--you were better at this before. I think the volume you're handling has been a bit much for you

You know. Statement like this w/o any supporting evidence/names is just another empty claim Chicago made us used to.
Just do not bring up the fact that you invented the skyscpraper again, OK?
I didn't invent any skyscrapers--Louis Sullivan and his compatriots did it. I think it's cute that you can't acknowledge that where a person is actually raised can influence who that person is. It's kind of an interesting idea--it'd be fun if someone like Robert De Niro pops out of Peoria while Al Capone comes from Tokyo--of course this is all completely possible.

No, they don't choose it based on population, but you seem completely confused by its correlation. I'm sure you'll figure it out some day.

And nah, no thanks on the compilation offer. I'm off to meet a precious celebrity--in NYC, of course.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,293,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Have you seen all the individual buildings of New York City to come to that conclusion? It's easy to see them all in Chicago, but I highly doubt you've seen all New York City buildings.

Obviously, New York City has far more beautiful buildings than NYC obviously since it has 5X the amount.

Obviously not. Tribune Tower compared to Empire State or Chrysler is simply bleak. The problem is that most of them know NY from TV, movies and pictures. Never been there and even if, they never took the time to see the architecture. New York is lietrally filled with beautiful, historical and newer tall buildings.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post

It has more, definitely. I love the architecture here--I live here, and I've done more than my share of exploring at almost all hours of the day. In the end, Chicago was more impressive to me when it came to monumental architecture.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,023,178 times
Quote:
Obviously not. Tribune Tower compared to Empire State or Chrysler is simply bleak. The problem is that most of them know NY from TV, movies and pictures. Never been there and even if, they never took the time to see the architecture. New York is lietrally filled with beautiful, historical and newer tall buildings.
Exactly
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...tecture-5.html

Here is a list of new buildings either Proposed or under construction(some maybe completed.
New buildings - SkyscraperCity

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM

f*k Chicago. NYC all the way.

can anyone show us pictures of the so called better Chicago buildings? I dont remember any and the ny pics are blowing the chicago out of the water. and it is exactly what I thought in person when I went to both.

chicago looks plain and kinda ugly to me. outside of the loop (which is just OK), it looks exactly like Detroit.

Last edited by Americanboy; 05-13-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City