Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,861,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Uh, Yes. Easily.

And you might want to find a new photograph since that tall silver building is imaginary and not built. Apparently, you know nothing about Chicago or New York so it's best you just move along.
Now that's a beautiful skyline.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,748,663 times
What an ignorant post. How old are you, s63?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Please, enough of this Chicago BS.

Chicago is nothing but combination of tall poppy complex (reverse snobbery, anti-snobbery) and an ARE COUNTRY mentality. You'll get some Chicagoans/Midwesterners thinking they're better than people from outside the Midwest because they're happy with their lite beers and sandwiches and camping trips in the Northwoods and don't need to eat at no trendy ethnic restaurants or take no fancy vacations and so on. At best, it's a benign lack of interest in anything different or new (which is fine by me); at worst, it's intolerance and bigotry.

Not all Midwesterners think like this, but it's a self-selecting pool. The people who are born in the Midwest but choose to live the bulk of their lives elsewhere are usually pretty cool, but those who self-select to stay in the Midwest can suffer from the attitude described above.

It's so sad how provincial Chicago and its inhabitants are, given its decent size and decent status as a major city in the United States. Most people are from the midwest, went to big 10 schools, and are not very well-travelled. When other cities like NYC, SF, LA, come up, they'll say a variation of "those cities are overrated," or "It's a decent place to visit, but I could NEVER live there because Chicago is where it's at., "[Random Publication] says this about our great city, AIA says that about our buildings". Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but that's just my opinion.

I also find it hilarious when people think spending summers in Chicago is the pinnnacle of the summer experience. Chicago is and will never be on the same level as NYC, why is so hard for you die-hard Chicagoan/Midwesterners to understand this? Everything in New York is better.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,725,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Really? But it is OK to claim that Chicago has a better overall architecture like Spire did, right?
Saying that Chicago has better overall architecture than New York simply proves that the poster have either never been to New York or have not spend enough time to see the city in all five boros.

Manhattan had the L and "vertical layers" long time ago but as every modern city on the planet confined the trains to its underbelly where they belong. The L's brings dust, noise and block the sun making streets underneath less attractive. Similarly layered streets block the sun from the street on the ground level making them unatractive with a distinct "undeground bunker feel" There is no place for this design in a real, modern city, unless underground. There is nothing like that in Paris, New York or London. ANd yes, New York has not one but two rivers. Each one making Chicago river look like a stream.

BTW. Vertical layers? Did you ever notice that Wells in Chicago does not have any restaurants with outside dining. Do you know why??? There is a noisy, dusty L overhead. That's what "layered layout" does to a street. It kills it.
A lot of modern cities and modern transportation systems (including London's own DLR) are on elevated lines, and they can and do work very well. What's the point of attacking functional and sometimes beautiful public works that promote mass transit? The problem with Chicago's L isn't that they're elevated--it's because the city doesn't have the funds to refurbish them and bring them up to date. Some of NYC's own elevated lines can do with some serious renovating.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 PM

341 posts, read 454,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
You got that right... I don't believe he is or was ever a NYer.
Slow aren't you? I posted that a few threads back. I'm a female, not a male, and I am DEFINITELY not a native NYer. Nor am I from Chicago or Boston. Just thought I might throw that in lol.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,861,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
Slow aren't you? I posted that a few threads back. I'm a female, not a male, and I am DEFINITELY not a native NYer. Nor am I from Chicago or Boston. Just thought I might throw that in lol.
We know our people, and you didn't have to tell us you weren't from here..Its obvious to a NYer.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM

633 posts, read 1,445,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Sorry, but that's my opinion and I am entitled to one.
Most of Chicago is covered with ugly bungalows and the new condos are not anything I would call architecture. The condos are mixed with the old falling apart buildings. It's really depressing. Chicago is changing, I have to admit that, it's getting gentrified, getting better but the old legacy of being a Rust Belt blue-collar city is showing all over. Even the affluent areas like Wriggleville, Wicker Park or Lincoln park are not impressive in term of urban architecture. Pitch it against Brooklyn or Queens and they fail miserably. Chicago is extremely downtown-centric, all the train lines meet in the Loop and virtually all there is to see in Chicago is either downtown or close to the lake. What really makes Chicago look even worse are terrible pothole-ridden streets and falling apart infrastructure. Again, I am talking about Chicago outside of the Loop.
This is completely false. The areas outside of Chicago have some of the best architecture in the country. You know, you are one of the main reasons that people on other websites, like SC, say things like this: "And for the record... City-Data needs a whole ****ing e-nuke dropped on that site. Just tear out everyone and everything and start from scratch." Way to go. You've brought down an entire website. Let's stick to the topic at hand, shall we?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM

467 posts, read 876,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot of modern cities and modern transportation systems (including London's own DLR) are on elevated lines, and they can and do work very well. What's the point of attacking functional and sometimes beautiful public works that promote mass transit? The problem with Chicago's L isn't that they're elevated--it's because the city doesn't have the funds to refurbish them and bring them up to date. Some of NYC's own elevated lines can do with some serious renovating.

Oy, have you ever seen a street covered with L?

First of all it blocks the sun, second it brings dust (vibration) and noise.

There is nothing cool about Ls Manhattan used to have them before they were put underground for the exact same reasons thy should be put undeground in Chicago.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,495,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
tmac9wr,

This thread has turned out to be a joke, don't you get it? Many thanks to advocatusdiavoli/dementor... a.k.a sockpuppet.
This thread may have turned out to be a joke, but you can't necessarily blame it on a single poster like advocatusdiavoli, because basically every thread in this section becomes a joke at some point.

I guess my frustration is that whenever someone starts saying anything negative about Chi-town, they instantly become Dementor in the eyes of the Chicago posters. I love Chicago and I have defended it against posters like Dementor many times (I may be drunk, but is it me, or do I sound like I'm making a speech from Braveheart?). But we can't just assume that anyone who has something bad to say about the city is some ruthless ******* like Dementor. There's always going to be criticisms of our cities whether we like it or not. Whether we live in Chicago, Boston, NYC, or one of the main targets of this website: Atlanta and Houston.

We can't take everything to heart though. Let *******s be *******s. Don't let them rile you up. I can't talk anymore, need sleep. Too drunk. Goodnight.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM

341 posts, read 454,462 times
I prefer the actual DESIGN of a building over height. Just because a building is tall does not make its architecture automatically grand.

I don't think anyone should be on Chicago or NYCs ****. This is a thread about architectual preference. I've never encountered so many ignorant responses from people in one city than I have New York City. Are there some brain cells missing? NYC residents are constantly bickering like idiotic children saying" My city is better than yours...My city is the biggest and the best..and blah blah blah". When people act like that, it shows a lack of confidence and insecurity in general.

What kind of idiot seriously sits here and argues to this point about one city? Discussion is great, but the intolerance of someone elses opinion is stupidity at its finest. Go NYers! Most of the world already thinks of you as morons and you're only fueling the fire.

Learn that your opinion is nothing but an opinion. Nothing you say or do will change the opinions of someone else. Stop trying. It's humorous and desperate.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM

633 posts, read 1,445,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, Wells Street has some of the best outdoor dining in the City. Not sure where you're getting your intel. If you meant to say that the streets along which the Loop runs don't have any outdoor dining, then you're right. That's okay though, because there are more than just four streets in Chicago, and the rest of them have plenty of outdoor dining.

What the streets without the outdoor dining DO have, though, is much of their original architecture, and a vibrant street and pedestrian life. The 'L' has acted as a big steel Saran Wrap enclosure around Chicago's business district. Because nobody wanted to build their new, international-style office building right in front of the noisy 'L' tracks, we are left with some of the most gorgeous, original skyscrapers in the world right in the "undesirable" places.

Not only that, but ask any Chicagoan: the 'L' tracks are awesome-looking. They add an element envied by places like NYC. Don't believe me? Watch Spider-Man 2. That's certainly not New York in that elevated train scene. Chicago had to step in for the underachieving Big Apple.

Alright, I'm not going to devolve this post into an anti-New York rant, because I do like the city. However, you did need to be set straight, and so, mission accomplished.

I never knew you were such a fan of outdoor dining .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City