Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 288 52.17%
Boston 264 47.83%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:42 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia feels like a larger and more bustling city to me and I like that. The food and drink there is great and pretty inexpensive. Reading Terminal Market and the Italian Market both seem a lot more functional as more than just tourist traps than their Boston brethren. Philadelphia is a lot grittier than Boston, which is more of a bad than good thing in my opinion, but it seems a lot more vibrant and fun overall. I think the freeways to the north and east of Center City that cuts off downtown neighborhoods are a real shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 12:27 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
Relative to Boston, the climate of Philadelphia is noticeably warmer, despite the fact the two cities aren't terribly far apart in terms of geographic distance. Also, housing is also more affordable in the Philadelphia area, and tax burdens are generally lower than in Boston/Massachusetts. Plus, your children will likely have more affordable university options in PA than MA, the latter of which is mostly home to expensive private colleges and universities.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:54 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I hear a lot of people go an hour south to Providence to have fun on the weekends.
Incorrect.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:36 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Relative to Boston, the climate of Philadelphia is noticeably warmer, despite the fact the two cities aren't terribly far apart in terms of geographic distance. Also, housing is also more affordable in the Philadelphia area, and tax burdens are generally lower than in Boston/Massachusetts. Plus, your children will likely have more affordable university options in PA than MA, the latter of which is mostly home to expensive private colleges and universities.
270 miles (as the crow flies) is a great distance in regards to weather. That same distance going Southwest from Philly would out in right on the VA/NC border, where it barely snows.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Incorrect.
Well not all of Boston does but I know some people do that. Obviously a lot of people also go to the Cape during the summer months as well

Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Incorrect.
I've heard the same from current/former Bostonians. As a matter of fact, when I visited a friend of mine during my birthday weekend two or three years ago, we were going to go out in Providence that Friday night but decided to take a quick bus trip to NYC instead.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
270 miles (as the crow flies) is a great distance in regards to weather. That same distance going Southwest from Philly would out in right on the VA/NC border, where it barely snows.
5 to 7 degree difference

Old 04-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Well not all of Boston does but I know some people do that. Obviously a lot of people also go to the Cape during the summer months as well
Not even enough people to remark about it.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:13 PM

105 posts, read 91,049 times
Quote:
I hear a lot of people go an hour south to Providence to have fun on the weekends.

I enjoy Providence, and I can definitely see that.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM

105 posts, read 91,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I liked Boston, but there was something that it lacked that I just can't put my finger on. Maybe it's a little too polished?

Which is my exact gripe with it. People love all the development and gentrification (while I do agree neighborhoods are always evolving and it's happened all throughout history) but what I hate is the constant championing of how sterile and polished Boston has become, and people actually love it.

I am way more interested in the working class areas like Southie than going downtown. It seems like Boston is trading in all it's character for luxury condos and pricing everyone out (which is factually supported by having the worst income inequality) and I can't stand it.

I really want to enjoy Boston, and I do find redeeming qualities about it, but overall it's like almost like a Hollywood movie set for a city. It's so fake almost.

It's transient and overpriced. Where is the culture? Certainly not downtown.

Philadelphia is what I wish Boston was like. It was before, but it sold out real hard. Philadelphia still has it's soul intact, while Boston seems like it sold out in the 90's.

Love Philadelphia. Warts and all, because I feel like it's so underrated for no reason. There is pretty much no difference in these two cities, but I find a common theme amongst people who prefer one over the other and it's usually really WASPy type people that prefer Boston.

I find Philadelphia more fun and laid back. That's a huge part of it. People in Philly just don't care. It shares amenities with Boston like history, crazy sports scene, food, museums, elite universities, density, parks, etc. but Boston seems to be so status oriented and it's ridiculously off-putting. Philly is definitely a more laid back version of Boston. I also enjoy the grit because it's very down to earth.

Boston is certainly cleaner, but I am not someone who is afraid of going downtown after dark so to speak. People overrate the crime issues drastically. I feel just as safe in Philly as Boston or Chicago or anywhere.

Too many people let the media dictate their city preferences.

Last edited by ILiveInAmerica; 04-28-2017 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City