Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, the NYC of the 80's was a whole different animal. I think as a whole all the Northeast major cities have improved alot since the 80's.
How right you are...what I wouldn't give to go back to 50's era New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:23 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
And ABQ is next in line now that you're helping run the show there...

We have made the Forbes "Best Cities of Careers and Businesses" for the last 10 years.

We are the "Progressive growth" city.
We dont have the crappy sprawl, and the big boom's..
We growing at a medium rate, we know the consequences.
I work in the planning department, I probably know more about Albuquerque and its growth/development than you do.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 PM

268 posts, read 948,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If you took away Buckhead and the suburbs what would that leave?
If you only knew how much your world class culture depended on South Louisiana and Texas.

Back to the topic at hand. I think it will be one of the sprawled out sunbelt cities. Somewhere that doesn't have a stable economy or only depends on one industry.
If you take away Eastover from New Orleans what would that leave, still the same economically depressed crime ridden city that it was even before Katrina hit, and what does Texas and South Louisiana have to do with Atlanta being world class, I never mentioned culture so you lost me there and I also consider Houston and Dallas world class but not New Orleans, now you all have the World Class Culture no arguments there but as far as business is concerned there are 4 major cities in the south, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami and Houston and some could make a case for Charlotte(in 10 years maybe,but just the first 4 for now).

Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Not sure its a boomtown or not but Philadelphia sure seems like its headed in the wrong direction...Baltimore as well.
Philly and Baltimore had been headed in the wrong direction for a while. From what I know they're now headed quickly towards gentrification, Philadelphia at least.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
If you take away Eastover from New Orleans what would that leave, still the same economically depressed crime ridden city that it was even before Katrina hit, and what does Texas and South Louisiana have to do with Atlanta being world class, I never mentioned culture so you lost me there and I also consider Houston and Dallas world class but not New Orleans, now you all have the World Class Culture no arguments there but as far as business is concerned there are 4 major cities in the south, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami and Houston and some could make a case for Charlotte(in 10 years maybe,but just the first 4 for now).
1. No, you would still have Algiers/English Turn, Adubon, Lakeview, Uptown, Lake Vista, etc.
2. Texas and Louisiana economies are what helps maintain the sprawl around ATL. Take away oil and see how it affects life Atlanta. Not only are the car-dependent commuters effected, but so is Delta and the airport. Also without oil that more than likely came from TX or LA the growth of your world class city would be somewhat different. Also, where do you think many of the goods shipped into Atlanta come from?
3. What do you know about New Orleans or Baton Rouge to consider them slums. Every city has their slummy areas, some larger than others.
4. But anyway, as I asked earlier. If you remove Buckhead and the suburbs what is left?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
I've lived in Atlanta and the metro area. Atlanta itself is much better, but the Atlanta suburbs are homogenized traffic congested hellholes. Atlanta has NOTHING on Uptown, Garden District areas of New Orleans which have far better restruants, and architecture. New Orleans level of urbanism, walkable neighborhoods and historic architecture far outpaces Atlanta and the quality of life is better I would venture for many people unless you don't mind flushing 1/4th of your day down the drain sitting in traffic.
(Buckhead is nothing to be proud of either...more corporate homogenized overbuilt, McMansion'ed crap)

Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM

22 posts, read 61,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea not ATL or LA. I would imagine it to be one of the Southwest boom cities like Vegas or Phoenix. There's a huge water crisis, both of the cities are located near Mexico, and they both overbuilt like crazy.

That or NYC because as we've heard, NYCHaitian is runnin the east side, nucca, and it's only a matter of time before that situation pops off to epic proportions.
there is not a water crisis in Phoenix- Its localed on a watershed area, it sits atop a huge aquafer and its supported by miles of canals(it has more miles of canals that Venice.) i wish people would learn about places before they make stuff up.
Southern Cali has a huge problem with water and overgrowth, not that i think any of those cities will collape, though some of the outlying areas may decline. Las Vegas does have a severe water problem and they need to make some serious changes to keep their population up. It won't decline though, not as long as gambling is legal.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:48 PM

268 posts, read 948,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
1. No, you would still have Algiers/English Turn, Adubon, Lakeview, Uptown, Lake Vista, etc.
2. Texas and Louisiana economies are what helps maintain the sprawl around ATL. Take away oil and see how it affects life Atlanta. Not only are the car-dependent commuters effected, but so is Delta and the airport. Also without oil that more than likely came from TX or LA the growth of your world class city would be somewhat different. Also, where do you think many of the goods shipped into Atlanta come from?
3. What do you know about New Orleans or Baton Rouge to consider them slums. Every city has their slummy areas, some larger than others.
4. But anyway, as I asked earlier. If you remove Buckhead and the suburbs what is left?
It seems as if Prytania is contradicting you, you say the suburbs and Buckhead make Atlanta what it is, but Prytania says the city it self is better than the suburbs and just to let you know Buckhead is inside of the Atlanta city limits so you can't exclude the areas that are convenient for you to exclude and I know from people that relocated to Metro Atlanta that New Orleans was as about as bad as you could get and that they want to stay here and not return to New Orleans, they said that New Orleans was home and that they would miss it but they have better opportunities in Atlanta to improve their quality of life and if you check the three cities that got the most Katrina evacuees on google in this order 1.Houston 2. Dallas 3. Atlanta you will see how the crime rates have risen pre Katrina and post Katrina and also Atlanta ships from the port of Savannah which is closer so why would we use the ports in Texas or Louisiana which would cost companies more money also we ship things in through Hartsfield-Jackson international airport. and to Prytania how can New Orleans quality of life be better than Atlanta's when New Orleans is the murder capital of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I've lived in Atlanta and the metro area. Atlanta itself is much better, but the Atlanta suburbs are homogenized traffic congested hellholes. Atlanta has NOTHING on Uptown, Garden District areas of New Orleans which have far better restruants, and architecture. New Orleans level of urbanism, walkable neighborhoods and historic architecture far outpaces Atlanta and the quality of life is better I would venture for many people unless you don't mind flushing 1/4th of your day down the drain sitting in traffic.
(Buckhead is nothing to be proud of either...more corporate homogenized overbuilt, McMansion'ed crap)

Old 06-05-2009, 03:53 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
San Diego is quickly becoming split down the middle with one side looking more like TJ to the South of the border. There are many nice areas but there is definite wealth flight out of the area. They are even trying to partition the City by school district funding. The wealthy areas want out.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
This is simply ridiculous, especially the comments about Buckhead. There is a reason that NO is hemorraging population and ATL is gaining it at a breakneak pace. Get over it. The past is past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City