Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated Region
The North 66 40.24%
The South 51 31.10%
The Midwest 10 6.10%
The west 37 22.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

I love the North, the West is nice, the Midwest is Ok, and the South is, nevermind.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I love the North, the West is nice, the Midwest is Ok, and the South is, nevermind.

I love the south and west. The Midwest is cool but I don't care for the north.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:16 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Im not unimpressed by any region. They all have their unique aspects and equally contribute to making America what it is.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:26 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
Personally, I would have to say the South. Though, I love some aspects of it, it isn't the paradise that some people make it out to be.

Not to sound like a fool, I've never been out West, but for some reason, it seems a tad bit "overrated" in my eyes.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:46 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
Most overrated: The Northeast/Mid-Atlantic:
-It's not progressive
-It's not open-minded
-It's not mass-transit friendly (except for NYC)
-It has the biggest income gap in the country
-It's the only region where people don't make friends, they form "cliques."

Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 AM

188 posts, read 520,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The four options are too broad and ill-defined by the OP. Dallas in the Midwest?? And most, if not all, Midwestern states are considered part of the "the north" as they lie north of the M-D line.
I think it's generally assumed that any state with a Big Ten school (plus Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska, but minus Pennsylvania) is considered to be the Midwest. While they may be northern states, I believe people identify them as part of the Midwest moreso than the North.

All of these regions have their own unique experience and personality. They are fine as they are. However (and I'm sorry to say this), from my past experiences I think I enjoyed my time the least in the Midwest. That's not to say that the region is overrated, there's a lot of good things going for it. It's just not really my cup of tea.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
this thread is stupid. wish we could negative rep.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
this thread is stupid. wish we could negative rep.
This is not a stupid thread. Nearly 60 people have voted and I was asking this question to see different people opinion.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:33 AM

63 posts, read 238,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
I'm originally from Michigan and I haved live in all regions of this country. My husband was stationed in CT and we would ride to NYC, Philly and Boston many times. I thought NYC was a nice city but I wasn't too fund of Boston and Philadelphia. We moved to the south and I visited Atlanta and Charlotte. I liked Atlanta because of the building structure and the eight lanes highways, but Charlotte seemed to be more laid back and kinda boring IMO. I have visited Chicago and St. Louis and I think Chicago is one of the best cities in the world and St. Louis was ok too. On the west coast I have been to several cities: LA, Seattle, San Diego and SF. LA is a very nice city but it's spreaded out. Seattle and San Diego had a beautiful downtown and SF seemed like the busiest city out west.

I want to know which region of the country is the most overrated, meaning it gets too much respect or the people in these places overrate the region. From my personal experience I feel that the Midwest and South is very underrated because people look at the south and judge it on the "old south" ways and the Midwest is the least talked about region and it has some hidden gems like St. Louis and Dallas(which could also be considered southern)

I think the most overrated region of the country is the north IMO. I love NYC and the entertainment, but many people tend to think that the "real city are in the Northeastern part of the country. Philadelphia has a cool downtown but once outside of downtown certain parts of Philly looks ruined and Boston has nice history but it's not my type of place to visit.

I'm curious to hear what other think.

PLZ share!
Your view of regions is wrong. Dallas is not Midwest.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:42 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Most overrated: The Northeast/Mid-Atlantic:
-It's not progressive
-It's not open-minded
-It's not mass-transit friendly (except for NYC)
-It has the biggest income gap in the country
-It's the only region where people don't make friends, they form "cliques."
According to what in regards to the first 3 comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City