Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:55 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times

Advertisements

It's hard to develop new spec towers when your existing vacancy rate is like 20%!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
It may be overused but the cliche is the truth. You can not call yourself a lover of cities and yet beef up Atlanta over Philly. You can like Atlanta and hate Philly for your personal reasons but to somehow hold Atlanta above or equal to Philly as a city is beyond crazy I do not care if you like Atlanta better.

http://worddreams.files.wordpress.co...re_philly1.jpg

http://www.paulscharffphotography.co...ta_Skyline.JPG

I dont have a problem with Philly at all. In fact it's one of my favorite cities, but to say Atlanta is not at the very least Equal to Philly is crazy. What makes Philly so much better than Atlanta (With out talking about Density)?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
You may love it but when in a city I prefer to be in a city.
Fine. So stay away from places that value greenery, pretty easy to do.

Quote:
That is where you are wrong. I have traveled all over this country. I was born and shortly raised in Moscow then fully raised in New York. Then I used to go on trips with my father all over this country during summer vacation.
And in all of these supposed travels, no greenery existed in any of these places, right?

Quote:
You know something about this paragraph is that it is only used when you can not think of anything else to say. Instead of saying that every time someone disrespects Atlanta why do you not give reasoning as to why I am wrong? You have no argument so remove yourself from the crisis.
Prove that I do this, I can wait. You have an obvious problem with this place, which is very clear by your post history. Anyone that has an issue with a beautiful urban tree cover is in the definate minority. I will post when and where I please - get over it.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
It may be overused but the cliche is the truth. You can not call yourself a lover of cities and yet beef up Atlanta over Philly. You can like Atlanta and hate Philly for your personal reasons but to somehow hold Atlanta above or equal to Philly as a city is beyond crazy I do not care if you like Atlanta better.

http://worddreams.files.wordpress.co...re_philly1.jpg

http://www.paulscharffphotography.co...ta_Skyline.JPG
This isn't a dictatorship. People are free to like what they want. Some would say it's beyond crazy to like Philadelphia over Atlanta. It's called an OPINION.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
That is literally nothing for anyone to brag about. Not at all a dramatic difference. From the pictures I am seeing Atlanta's downtown has quite a lot of room to add new towers, I'm guessing the high unemployment rate and slow pace economy is holding them back? I have also heard the growth has slowed down.

Besides Midtown Square, I do not see any new developments in the works for Atlanta. Well tall developments. I am guessing same case for Philadelphia as well.
I must have missed where anyone did brag about Bank of America Plaza?

And Midtown Square isn't happening. That is one of the most prime blocks in the City, but the developer has been sitting on this property for years. He is now on the verge of bankruptcy.

There are tons of proposals, but we need to fill up what already exists first - just like most cities. Credit is tight, and banks aren't lending at the moment - again, this is affecting almost all cities, not just Atlanta.

Our current unemployment rate is 10%, and growth has slowed - but people are still moving here.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
I dont have a problem with Philly at all. In fact it's one of my favorite cities, but to say Atlanta is not at the very least Equal to Philly is crazy. What makes Philly so much better than Atlanta (With out talking about Density)?
Better is subjective to the eye of the beholder.

Some better prefer Atlantas more modern spacious urban design while others prefer Philadlephias historic dense european-like design. Ivanov obviously prefers the latter and should be entitled to his/her opinion without scorn and chastisement.

In the context of this thread, the results rightly or wrongly appears as if Ivanovs beliefs are the norm and not the exception.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Better is subjective to the eye of the beholder.

Some better prefer Atlantas more modern spacious urban design while others prefer Philadlephias historic dense european-like design. Ivanov obviously prefers the latter and should be entitled to his/her opinion without scorn and chastisement.

In the context of this thread, the results rightly or wrongly appears as if Ivanovs beliefs are the norm and not the exception.
Oh, please. Ivanov is certainly entitled to his opinion, but when he crosses the line to snarky insults and uninformed bashing of a place he knows nothing of, he loses ALL credibility.

The guy hates trees, give me a freakin break.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Culture, walkability, bars, sports, history, architecture, landmarks, and density, and transit.

You have to talk about density. It is important and it is better for a city. And I am one of the first to say I do not care about history. But I do care about it, but in my day to day life I do not live by it. It is a nice thing to have and Philly has it greater than Atlanta. You have to acknowledge that if it wasnt for Phillly and Boston then Atlanta would not even be here.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Fine. So stay away from places that value greenery, pretty easy to do.
Travel is required. Me going somewhere does not mean I have to like it. If you liked everywhere you go then you have problems.

Quote:
And in all of these supposed travels, no greenery existed in any of these places, right?
Of course it does so what is your point? I never said I hated greenery. But when in a city I prefer it to be in a city. That is simple to comprehend. Greenery can be in parks or streets can be tree lined.. take Philly for example.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moocat/351073887/sizes/l/ (broken link)

http://www.centercityrealestate.com/philadelphia/real-estate-blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/800px-philly_street.jpg (broken link)

http://thehungrypard.files.wordpress...se-square1.jpg

Quote:
Prove that I do this, I can wait. You have an obvious problem with this place, which is very clear by your post history. Anyone that has an issue with a beautiful urban tree cover is in the definate minority. I will post when and where I please - get over it.
Nobody has a problem with urban tree cover, but Atlanta has tree cover not because they are so great at urban planning and making green space but because of poor urban planning. Quit acting as if your city is a template for cities all over to plant trees. Your city is tree covered for the reason that it is about as dense as our suburbs. Since now you are finally came up with an argument I do not need to tell you to shut up so why are you telling me to "get over it" after you just did what I wanted you to do?

It is fine if you prefer suburban lifestyle. But to have that suburban lifestyle in the city is not something anyone is jeaous of. I love suburban lifestyle. I grew up in Brooklyn and now live in the suburbs. I love the suburbs. But I am not going to move into any city to try to live a suburban lifestyle, I will stay in suburbs and have a back patio and grill and if I want to go into a CITY and experience the CITY then I can.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 07-17-2010 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 11:45 AM

620 posts, read 1,746,351 times
Atlanta skyline or skylines is/are boring. Phili hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City