Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Skyline!
Houston 144 36.27%
Philadelphia 253 63.73%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
That's also how you create an oversupply (see Dallas or Atlanta's Downtown). In Houston, things are built more by demand instead of just speculation. Plus, why not keep some of those old buildings/warehouses and renovate them? Just look to the East End (called "EaDo" now). But I mean, did you go to the east side of Downtown and not see all of the redevelopment? There are two buildings under construction around Discovery Green Park, and another that was just recently completed. Both took away surface lots. I'd rather see the surface parking lots disappear before seeing abandoned buildings disappear (when they can be renovated instead).

Just my opinion.
Just depends though, some buildings aren't in any position to be renovated, because they are literally falling apart. I am quite impressed with the development that's taking place in downtown.

Point being, we have more room in downtown to redevelop and expand when time comes.

And yes, I certainly agree, Houston benefits from going off of demand rather than speculation, it's what's keeping our city out of a financial crisis, like the Miami right now. Miami overbuilt, way more than demand. Their ideals were that they could build more buildings, people will instantly move into the luxurious towers in it's redefined skyline.
I guess they over did it.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
They're expanding Downtown right now though. MainPlace is reaching its top out, and the East side of Downtown is really starting to pick up in activity. It's quite nice actually. Once the economy picks back up, I can see the other convention center hotel going under construction (directly across from the Hilton).

EaDo - East Downtown Houston

Can't find the renderings for the areas around Discovery Green yet, but if I do, I'll post it.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
They're expanding Downtown right now though. MainPlace is reaching its top out, and the East side of Downtown is really starting to pick up in activity. It's quite nice actually. Once the economy picks back up, I can see the other convention center hotel going under construction (directly across from the Hilton).

EaDo - East Downtown Houston

Can't find the renderings for the areas around Discovery Green yet, but if I do, I'll post it.
They also have a lot of projects slated down especially for downtown;

5 Allen Center, Houston - SkyscraperPage.com

They have a lot for TMC as well, I think it's projected to surpass downtown in office space in the future?

Houston - SkyscraperPage.com

Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 AM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Default TMC, and CBD of Houston

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs457.ash1/25165_396849589680_501694680_3914806_6938468_n.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 09-04-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree on the lack of scientific data - I think they are all on preferance - i like Philly, and many others

example at night the view of LA from sunset strip can be breath taking

Atlanta, Houston and Dallas demonstrate their height in a more prounonced way due to a lack of or lessor density which is very cool in it's own right - in many ways you can argue the height is not diminished by density and can be very profound

My personal favorite Chicago does both density and height very well; in my opinion even better NYC which from a pure desnity perspective is unmatched

All are very cool - I love skylines in general
You basically summed up my viewpoints for American skylines with that line (Bold), I also enjoy Chicago's skyline the best in America.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 AM

293 posts, read 900,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Yeah, all the Northeast Cities are just lucky that Houston doesn't have one single, unified skyline, because if it did, there would be no question for 3rd most impressive skyline in the nation.

It would be like a taller version of San Francisco, with more buildings just minus the awesome backdrop. Just imagine DT Houston with the addition of 17 buildings over 400 feet and 52 buildings over 200 ft, that currently are outside the CBD. Houston has the buildings for the density to compete with even northern cities, it just isnt concentrated into one skyline.

I mean the 142nd tallest building in Houston is 201 ft tall. At the exact same height of 201 ft, that would be Philadelphia's 117th tallest building.

Oh how the world would be turned upside down for the many northeners to know that, had Houston developed a singular skyline, like its norther counterparts, that it would have the archictecture, density, vibrancy, not to mention height to rival them, Houston would be in a tier of its own, ahead of the San Fransicos and Seattles of the nation, but just behind NYC and Chicago.

Yes, on paper, Houston does indeed kill Philly, but in the real world, Philly gets the advantage by having 1 skyline, whereas Houston has had the setback by developing 3 seperate skylines.
That might be the problem with Houston, if only you southerners learned about density.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
That might be the problem with Houston, if only you southerners learned about density.
How convenient to live in an area where density is forced by nearby mountains and water. You don't really have much choice, do you?

After seeing the development chewing up the Cascade foothills around Issaquah, I am totally convinced Seattle would sprawl too - if it could.

Every place that CAN sprawl does so.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You know, I'm sure others have seen me post the contents of this post many times before, but we live in Texas, our state has a total land area of 268,820 Square Miles, our city has a total land area of 601 Square Miles, our metro has a total land area of 10,000 square miles. Please, try to cope with the figures. We're naturally bound to sprawl. We live in a state that is VERY RICH in land. Unlike Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, or the area where NYC is located in lower New York State, we in Texas have a vast amount of land to develop. Please try to understand that, sprawl is not a bad thing here in Texas.

Thank you very much!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM

293 posts, read 900,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You know, I'm sure others have seen me post the contents of this post many times before, but we live in Texas, our state has a total land area of 268,820 Square Miles, our city has a total land area of 601 Square Miles, our metro has a total land area of 10,000 square miles. Please, try to cope with the figures. We're naturally bound to sprawl. We live in a state that is VERY RICH in land. Unlike Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, or the area where NYC is located in lower New York State, we in Texas have a vast amount of land to develop. Please try to understand that, sprawl is not a bad thing here in Texas.

Thank you very much!
I'm not saying geographically Texas is a good place for density, or even that sprawl isn't natural. I'm just saying that Houston isn't dense, it doesn't matter the reason, it's not dense.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying geographically Texas is a good place for density, or even that sprawl isn't natural. I'm just saying that Houston isn't dense, it doesn't matter the reason, it's not dense.
That's the same as me saying Philadelphia isn't large by land area. Things that neither city/region can control. lol

Density works in the northeast and Midwest, but aside from Miami it doesn't really have a reason to exist in the South. Miami is only 38 Square Miles, it needs to be dense and tall to house more people within city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City