Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Skyline!
Houston 144 36.27%
Philadelphia 253 63.73%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Philly is more of a city than Houston
Philly is not more of a city than Houston, Houston is larger than Philly(in area), so if anyone is more of a city, its Houston.

Philly is more urban, and more vibrant, but more of a city? I don't think so.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Philly is not more of a city than Houston, Houston is larger than Philly(in area), so if anyone is more of a city, its Houston.

Yes, Philly is more of a city. Houston's like a gigantic suburb.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
...but there are many areas that are 50 miles or more away from Philadelphia that ARE part of it's MSA - Wilmington is 41 miles and Trenton is 43 miles. Remember, there are over 5,000 square miles in Philly's MSA, so it's not some tiny/compact area.
I don't know where you're getting those figures, but from the city limits of Philadelphia, Trenton is roughly 20 miles away, whereas Wilmington is roughly 25 miles away. Those two cities are extremely interconnected with Philadelphia's urban area, as opposed to being on the fringe of the MSA boundaries.

Northeast Philadelphia Airport, Philadelphia, PA 19114 to Trenton, NJ - Google Maps

South Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA to Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post

There both Cities Philly Just has the edge over Houston being more urban and vibrant.....

Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Yes, Philly is more of a city. Houston's like a gigantic suburb.
Outside of downtown, it is. And that's the attraction for many people... you can get a house with a little yard and real grass 5 minutes outside of downtown if you'd like. Houston has a great year-round climate for growing almost anything, so people enjoy their yards and patios. But there still are several vibrant and walkable districts, plenty of culture/arts, and now more and more new 3-story townhome things on tiny lots, new condos, and other higher-density type living and mixed-use if that's more your style. The "gigantic suburb" comment and other such sweeping generalizations are misleading in that it gives the impression there is no real urban core, no high-density or walkable areas, which is untrue.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Let's put it this way. I've been to Philadelphia many, many times, and it's definitely a smaller version of NYC. Houston isn't at all.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Outside of downtown, it is. And that's the attraction for many people... you can get a house with a little yard and real grass 5 minutes outside of downtown if you'd like. Houston has a great year-round climate for growing almost anything, so people enjoy their yards and patios. But there still are several vibrant and walkable districts, plenty of culture/arts, and now more and more new 3-story townhome things on tiny lots, new condos, and other higher-density type living and mixed-use if that's more your style. The "gigantic suburb" comment and other such sweeping generalizations are misleading in that it gives the impression there is no real urban core, no high-density or walkable areas, which is untrue.

I know right?

The ignorance of some on this forum is quite staggering

Love Houstons skyline and give it the edge.. Underrated architecture and lots of height

Philly has my favorite skyline in the Northeast though

Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I know right?

The ignorance of some on this forum is quite staggering

Love Houstons skyline and give it the edge.. Underrated architecture and lots of height

Philly has my favorite skyline in the Northeast though
It seems Houston's architecture is only underrated on C-D. In the real world, not so much.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Both cities have great and underrated skylines, I give the edge to Philly though.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Let's put it this way. I've been to Philadelphia many, many times, and it's definitely a smaller version of NYC. Houston isn't at all.
And thats a good thing? Maybie for visitors, but for a place to live I dont think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City