Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, actually I brought up Germantown using an example of where black people are. Center City doesn't have a black scene like D.C. does and we were talking about entertainment. Let's stay in context here. I referenced Adams Morgan and U Street. What do those area's have in common? Entertainment? African Americans? Do you even read what I post?

Yes I do, dunno not sure what the line of AAs on the 1600 block are every night of the week.

I like the area by Adams Morgon, lived there a while

Yes Philly also has areas outside of DT; also we have agreed in the past that DC is probably a better nightlife for AAs when compared to Philly; dont think we disagree there. Are you suggesting no AAs live in Center City nor go out in it though?

And if your only opinion is it has to be geared toward AAs in the first place that seems narrow to me but ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes I do, dunno not sure what the line of AAs on the 1600 block are every night of the week.

I like the area by Adams Morgon, lived there a while

Yes Philly also has areas outside of DT; also we have agreed in the past that DC is probably a better nightlife for AAs when compared to Philly; dont think we disagree there. Are you suggesting no AAs live in Center City nor go out in it though?

And if your only opinion is it has to be geared toward AAs in the first place that seems narrow to me but ok
I didn't say it had to be African American geared to be nice. I just said that I preferred D.C.'s crowd. Music and culture wise, it's my scene. I'm pretty sure you prefer your scene and I'm sure you probably have never frequented the places I frequent in D.C. when you lived here.

How come you are the only person that complains all the time on this site? Why do I always have to hear your opinion of D.C. when I make a post that has nothing to do with you? You are the only one wining through the last 5 pages!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
And where have I ever said that Philly does not have blight or factories etc.

PG county is pretty crappy too but like the Philly area there are so many other positives in the area that far outweigh this.

Does CC stink, riddled with blight and abondoned factories?

Isnt that the convo here MD. But ok go ahead, yes Norht Philly is a disaster, moreso than SE DC or parts of PG county but yes they exist to.

So is Center City a ghetto, wasnt that what we were discussing? When you brought up Germantown, right?

I never tried to sell CC to you (you have obviously always siad how much you dislike it, but on vibrancy, well you cant accept for some reason it actually exisits, ghetto old dirty, architecturally uninteresting as you continually claim); I talked about the vibrancy; just said it is more vibrant and cohesive, most would agree MD. You also made a claim that Philly has no buildings or concentration of restaurants and bars etc and could never achieve the level of DC in this regard. I called BS and you claim it is the basketball arena, then a new trolly line then 0 whatever zoning (what is CC in this regard btw?). You are unbelieveable and then cast stones and make accusations. Invest in a mirror MD and loosen your belt you are wound tight apparently and to me not always seeing reality.

Do you think CC is a ghetto and crappy? Go ahead answer I do want to hear the real answer

I wonder who is sensitive here honestly
Forgot to answer your last question. No, I don't think Center City is ghetto and I already said it was not dangerous. I do feel like the retail area I would consider downtown looks ghetto. Many area's you showed of nice retail looks like Georgetown in D.C. instead of F street or Connecticut Ave. in D.C. for instance. Completely different style of development. When I think of center city, I'm looking for retail like NYC 5th ave. or Michigan Ave. That is what I call downtown development. All of our NE cities have boutique row house retail. When I think of downtown, I think of commercial buildings with retail on the bottom. You already know that kid. We have spoken about that before. I guess I assumed you would remember some of our other conversations.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
You tried to sell me Center City and I told you what I thought about Philadelphia. You asked! I want you to go to the SW Government Complex thread and find a post in that thread where I said something negative about Center City........

I'm not you and i don't conduct myself the way you do. Good Luck finding a negative post in that thread. Since I joined this site, the only time I have said anything negative about another city is when I was provoked. You on the other hand don't go a day without being negative.

And since we are being honest, don't confuse reality with negativity. Philadelphia does stink because it's surrounded by factories. It is also full of blighted vacant houses which is just a reality. The amount of blight in Philadelphia and poverty far outweighs anything in the DMV. Had you not been so persistent and annoying, I would not have had to be so blunt but you kind of asked for it.
Considering Washington DC has had a higher crime rate than Philadelphia (not sure about last year). I wouldn't talk if I was you.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Forgot to answer your last question. No, I don't think Center City is ghetto and I already said it was not dangerous. I do feel like the retail area I would consider downtown looks ghetto. Many area's you showed of nice retail looks like Georgetown in D.C. instead of F street or Connecticut Ave. in D.C. for instance. Completely different style of development. When I think of center city, I'm looking for retail like NYC 5th ave. or Michigan Ave. That is what I call downtown development. All of our NE cities have boutique row house retail. When I think of downtown, I think of commercial buildings with retail on the bottom. You already know that kid. We have spoken about that before. I guess I assumed you would remember some of our other conversations.
Market East is not the retail center in Philly, why do you always claim it to be. Because it has a mall (there is smaller mall in Rittenhouse as well FWIW in the bottom of Liberty one and two (which are def not rowhouses)? It seems you think ME is center city, while a part is the worst part and by no means the best shopping by any stretch. So Walnut Street is ghetto? Again you do relaize this is the shopping district, not Market East. Do you really even know Philly at all. If your only experience is ME I guess I understand your position but that is not the main shopping district nor what basically all of CC looks like. I guess you dont know Philly do you. Or are you saying the shopping on Walnut street is ghetto?

Rittnhouse Row is the shopping area on Walnut and Chestnut (Honestly I am becoming more and more Convinced you dont actually really know CC at all; the main shopping district is nothing like GT; seriously to make such a comment I am pretty sure you DO NOT know Philly at all)

Are these rowhouse retail places? Do these somehow not meet the official Allstar criteria?
Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-12-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it had to be African American geared to be nice. I just said that I preferred D.C.'s crowd. Music and culture wise, it's my scene. I'm pretty sure you prefer your scene and I'm sure you probably have never frequented the places I frequent in D.C. when you lived here.

How come you are the only person that complains all the time on this site? Why do I always have to hear your opinion of D.C. when I make a post that has nothing to do with you? You are the only one wining through the last 5 pages!

Again invest in a mirror

Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Market East is not the retail center in Philly, why do you always claim it to be. Because it has a mall (there is smaller mall in Rittenhouse as well FWIW in the bottom of Liberty one and two (which are def not rowhouses)? It seems you think ME is center city, while a part is the worst part and by no means the best shopping by any stretch. So Walnut Street is ghetto? Again you do relaize this is the shopping district, not Market East. Do you really even know Philly at all. If your only experience is ME I guess I understand your position but that is not the main shopping district nor what basically all of CC looks like. I guess you dont know Philly do you. Or are you saying the shopping on Walnut street is ghetto?

Rittnhouse Row is the shopping area on Walnut and Chestnut (Honestly I am becoming more and more Convinced you dont actually really know CC at all; the main shopping district is nothing like GT; seriously to make such a comment I am pretty sure you DO NOT know Philly at all)

Are these rowhouse retail places? Do these somehow not meet the official Allstar criteria?

Most of that is two story retail that does look like Georgetown. I know all about Rittenhouse Square that has most of the upscale retail but again, that is not built into 20 story tower first floor retail. To me two and three story buildings don't belong downtown.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Most of that is two story retail that does look like Georgetown. I know all about Rittenhouse Square that has most of the upscale retail but again, that is not built into 20 story tower first floor retail. To me two and three story buildings don't belong downtown.

Most? think that is a bit of overstatement. Also all but one of these blocks is more densely developed (meaning sq footage of all builidings, though varied height is a bad thing by you I think) than probaly 90% of DT DC.

Also NYC and Chicago have 2 and 3 story buildins as well in areas, even their shopping districts, are they not urban either

Or is this the only Allstar definition of Urban?
Washingotn, DC - Google Maps

Where basically everything is one height, why so short, shouldnt an urban area actually have height? Now that would be silly as DC can be urban and short

And will all 2 and 3 story buildings be gone in DC in the next two years? just curious?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Most? think that is a bit of overstatement. Also all but one of these blocks is more densely developed (meaning sq footage of all builidings, though varied height is a bad thing by you I think) than probaly 90% of DT DC.

Also NYC and Chicago have 2 and 3 story buildins as well in areas, even their shopping districts, are they not urban either

Or is this the only Allstar definition of Urban?
Washingotn, DC - Google Maps

Where basically everything is one height, why so short, shouldnt an urban area actually have height? Now that would be silly as DC can be urban and short

And will all 2 and 3 story buildings be gone in DC in the next two years? just curious?
Just curious...what exactly do you want? What are you waiting for me to say? I already said center city was more vibrant as a whole but I said Center City doesn't have an answer for Gallery Place. I said DC is getting a lot of new stuff and I will reevaluate the two areas in a few years. What do you want? Maybe you want me to say this...."DC sucks and Philly is the next Tokyo!". I don't really understand what your goal is in these countless rants about DC.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Philly and DC have taken over this thread. Get a room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City