Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City?
Seattle 72 58.06%
Los Angeles 52 41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
What's to see in Seattle? I bet it's just the Space Needle. There's no Hollywood & Highland, The Grove, Santa Monica Pier, CBS TV City, NBC Studios, Century City, Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Universal City, Beautiful Downtown Burbank, Griffith Observatory, Downtown Pasadena (Rose Bowl Parade). It could take a couple of weeks to see all the famous places in L.A.

And Seattle doesn't have a place as nicely cityscaped and landscaped such as world-famous Beverly Hills.
While I appreciate you trying to defend LA, I have to say that you really don't make a very good case for the city. Hollywood/Highland and the Grove?? I've never understood why people here love the Grove so much - it's just a tacky roofless mall with fake architecture, a fake trolley, and an atmosphere so contrived it makes me want to throw up. LA's strengths are in Koreatown, Melrose, Silver Lake, Venice, Ocean Park in Santa Monica, and other real neighborhoods. But please, not the Grove.

I'm planning a trip to Seattle and from what I've read and heard from others, there's plenty to see there. Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, Fremont, Ballard, University Village, Capitol Hill, and a real vibrant cosmopolitan downtown that puts Downtown LA to shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Kerrtown:
'And Seattle doesn't have a place as nicely cityscaped and landscaped such as world-famous Beverly Hills' You have got to be kidding!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
^^^

That last picture, omg how could I have forgotten Lake Washington blvd??? Those Japanese gardens are small but they are very well maintained and have authentic stuff from Japan, some are older than our country!!! They're remodeling the entrance, last I checked.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,785,686 times
How is this 50/50? And my vote tied it up (for now)??? That means that Seattle was ahead by one - ridiculous.

Seattle is a very great city. But comparing it to L.A.?? Come on, Los Angeles is a world class city. You can fit more than 10 Seattles into L.A. It is a farce that it's even close, let alone that Seattle would be ahead.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
How is this 50/50? And my vote tied it up (for now)??? That means that Seattle was ahead by one - ridiculous.

Seattle is a very great city. But comparing it to L.A.?? Come on, Los Angeles is a world class city. You can fit more than 10 Seattles into L.A. It is a farce that it's even close, let alone that Seattle would be ahead.
Wow, you sure missed the boat didn't you?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,022 times
People here are obsessed with a nice downtown and density and public transportation. Though metro LA is much denser than metro Seattle and LA has 3 metro lines while Seattle's first light rail is still in testing phase, LA is just so reputational for its so-called sprawl and lack of public transportation that people would think any city would be better in those apsects. It is perfectly natural that somebody would prefere Seattle to LA, but some of the reasons listed here are just laughable. In fact, LA has many neighborhoods that are very dense. Beverly Hills alone has more successful retail and night life than most downtowns, including Seattle's, and it is walkable, but people would say well it's not downtown so it doesn't count. Many parts of LA can been considered downtown for a mid-sized city, either office oriented or retail and entertainment oriented. Take a look at this picture. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y_panorama.jpg. Make it full size and observe anywhere along Wilshire Boulevard is full of high rise buildings and look at the overall density. Look at this link Wilshire Boulevard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and see wilshire boulevard in different parts of LA. See this report http://www.demographia.com/db-porla.htm and have your stereotype of city density changed. LA is denser than Seattle or Portland at almost any percentile. LA also has more tall buildings than Seattle if that matters to you, but people will still say well it is not impressive considering its the second largest city. See the attached picture. Is this downtown LA? No. Can it be considered downtown for a mid-sized city? Absolutely Yes. If LA is so not living up to the second largest city, pick any city that is significantly smaller than LA and has a second skyline like this. What does Chicago look like outside of downtown? The thing is pretty much everywhere of LA along wilshire is like this, leading all the way toward downtown. This part looks more impressive in the picture because it is directly facing you. Besides, not everything has to be considered with the city size but people just don't realize it. What's the point of considering night life per capita or number of museums per capita? It is not like because somebody enjoyed the night life or the museum, yours is ruined. That is pure stereotype and people don't do much research. They just listen to other people's comments or base everything on a single experience in certain parts of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

Attached Thumbnails
Seattle vs. Los Angeles!-la1.jpg  

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-13-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I lived in Los Angeles, and I chose Los Angeles in this poll. However, I can see why many others would choose Seattle instead. Los Angeles is a fantastic city--Seattle is as well. They're just great in very different ways, and it's perfectly understandable to me that people here would choose Seattle over Los Angeles.

Just out of curiosity, who of the people arguing here have been to, or even better, lived, in both cities?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Which city? Pictures of course( at least three)Which city is for you and why? Compare everything in all categories(Weather,food, cost of living) blah, blah, blah Etc!

Be cool, and Keep it clean-Californialove24
I'm not surprise it's nearly a tie. I think a lot of people may have started to view Los Angeles ( or just me still in question about the city.... did not vote in your poll either) as fast pace living, endless suburbs, no downtown and dirty/ unclean.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,869 times
I've gotta go with Seattle. I love the culture of the city, and I feel like it has this general quirkiness about it that I think is amazing.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
i've visited both extensively and seattle is one of my favorite places to visit - i get out of LA as soon as possible and you'd be very hard pressed to get me to move there

the cities are very different so it comes down to preference

i prefer seattle and it's not even close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City