Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,018 times

Advertisements

Which one do you like better.Where would you rather live.Where would you visit.Which one has a better big city feel.Which one looks nicer post Pics and Streetview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
Which one do you like better.Where would you rather live.Where would you visit.Which one has a better big city feel.Which one looks nicer post Pics and Streetview.
Oh please, Manhattan has more of an island feel than Anchorage does, and Manhattan doesn't even really feel like an island. Anyway to answer your question:

Honolulu hands down.

Never been to Anchorage, but have been to Honolulu and I am sure I like Honolulu better.

Would rather live in Honolulu (is this a serious question? I mean unless you are a polar bear).

I would visit Anchorage just because I have already been to Honolulu, but would prefer to go to Juneau before Anchorage.

Big city, feel I am pretty sure it would have to be Honolulu. Honolulu is fairly dense without a lot more city life. Anchorage is spread out and sparse.

Either this a thread meant to bash Anchorage or I dunno. I think a better comparison would have been comparing Honolulu to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Or comparing Anchorage I don't know to Archangel, Russia?

This thread is kind of joke.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Oh please, Manhattan has more of an island feel than Anchorage does, and Manhattan doesn't even really feel like an island. Anyway to answer your question:

Honolulu hands down.

Never been to Anchorage, but have been to Honolulu and I am sure I like Honolulu better.

Would rather live in Honolulu (is this a serious question? I mean unless you are a polar bear).

I would visit Anchorage just because I have already been to Honolulu, but would prefer to go to Juneau before Anchorage.

Big city, feel I am pretty sure it would have to be Honolulu. Honolulu is fairly dense without a lot more city life. Anchorage is spread out and sparse.

Either this a thread meant to bash Anchorage or I dunno. I think a better comparison would have been comparing Honolulu to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Or comparing Anchorage I don't know to Archangel, Russia?

This thread is kind of joke.
I just wanted too know if anchorage was close too Honolulu because I been to Honolulu but not anchorage

Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Anchorage, while nice, is really small compared to Honolulu and has way less as far as amenities than Honolulu.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Between the two, I choose Honolulu over Anchorage for a good deal of reasons (such as weather and regional cuisine). Also, I don't think Anchorage, Alaska is actually on an island.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Between the two, I choose Honolulu over Anchorage for a good deal of reasons (such as weather and regional cuisine). Also, I don't think Anchorage, Alaska is actually on an island.
Nor do I, but didn't want to have to eat my words. Regardless, Honolulu is leaps and bounds of a city than Anchorage is and probably ever will be.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
This is kind of unfair to Anchorage.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,437 times
Speaking on Climate, Anchorage is actually quite similar to Minneapolis. Big City feel? well I think Honolulu wins. More to do? Hmmmmm, if you're an outdoors person I'd say both are great. For things to do in the city, I'd say Honolulu. Honolulu looks better from the street but Anchorage is stunning with the Chugach Range in the background (best city/mountain combo in the US). I'd rather live in Anchorage, because at least I'm connected to something! lol I would get Island fever bad if I lived in Hawaii.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Speaking on Climate, Anchorage is actually quite similar to Minneapolis. Big City feel? well I think Honolulu wins. More to do? Hmmmmm, if you're an outdoors person I'd say both are great. For things to do in the city, I'd say Honolulu. Honolulu looks better from the street but Anchorage is stunning with the Chugach Range in the background (best city/mountain combo in the US). I'd rather live in Anchorage, because at least I'm connected to something! lol I would get Island fever bad if I lived in Hawaii.
But Minneapolis at least gets more sunlight than Anchorage and by a lot.

Even though you would be connected to something, you would still be very isolated. In regards to proximity to human beings you would more isolated in Alaska than Hawaii. Hawaii has a population of over 2-3 million people while Alaska doesn't even have 1 million. There really isn't anything at all close to Anchorage other than wilderness. I mean there is Fairbanks but that's even smaller than Anchorage.

I think Vancouver is the closeset city that has a metro of over 1 million people and it's pretty far from Anchorage. Probably just as far as Hawaii is from California (I could be wrong though).

I do understand the island fever feeling though. I had friends who lived in Hawaii who got island fever, but then they just went to the beach to forget about it haha. I mean in Anchorage you would get Cabin Fever as well.

I actually think Honolulu has the best mountain/city combo in the U.S. (well actually second after Seattle). To each their own I guess.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
This is kind of unfair to Anchorage.
It actually is. This is like comparing Seattle to Olympia, Washington. Not a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City