Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charm City skyline vs. Queen City skyline
Baltimore 135 43.97%
Charlotte 172 56.03%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

I understand what some posters mean by an urban, diverse , sometimes "gritty" city-scape. Versus what some people may portray as sterile and "Brasilia" like.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I'm sure I can find alot of blighted areas in NW charlotte as well.
Post your worst Charlotte pic and I'll post my worst B'more pic. Do you really want to go there? 10 out of 10 Americans would agree that B'more is more urban and dirtier. Charlotte is less urban and cleaner. Why is the truth so hard for you to swallow?

Besides, this is a skyline thread anyway. Charlotte clearly won this thread before the first reply was ever posted. Now if this was a "Which city has more ghettos" thread, B'more would win hands down. B'more is a nice town. However, your comment about Charlotte's streets rolling up at night is both outdated and quite frankly insulting. Your intent was clearly to put down Charlotte. If you don't like Charlotte, that's fine. But if you choose to diss Charlotte in some ridiculous attempt to make Baltimore seem superior, dream on. B'more has more ghettos than Charlotte does skyscrapers. That's the truth. Get over it.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Charlotte's skyline wins this one as it has one of the top 20 skylines in the country. Baltimore would win out in other areas though (i.e. downtown population, downtown shopping, dining, etc...).

There is way too much emphasis on skylines here.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Well, the title of the thread IS "Skyline Battle". I would expect an emphasis on skylines.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM

My point is that the skyline battles are stupid. Yes, Charlotte has nice skyline, but the city lacks in so many other areas. All I'm saying is there should be more focus on other issues (i.e. lack of downtown retail, dining, etc...).

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You didn't say this? "Legg is the tallest, but is nowhere near dominating of the skyline as the BoA." I think you did. I copied and pasted it from your earlier post.

And I guess you could say the same thing about ANY building in ANY city - it could be in any other city, suburb or wherever. That comment doesn't make sense to me...you don't like the skyline or the buildings because they could be in Atlanta, L.A. or D.C. That seems like a compliment to me, but I'm sure you didn't mean it to be a compliment.

The main point of my response to you is that all of Charlotte's buildings DO NOT look the same. You did make the statement that the buildings look alike, right? They don't look anything alike.
lol my quote was "Legg is the tallest, but is nowhere near dominating of the skyline as the BoA, WDS tower, and even the former Alex Brown (now commerce) tower are very near in height". I hope you Don't think Charlotte is the only city with a BoA, Because Baltimore has one too.

I don't feel you could say the same thing about any building in any city. For Example, I don't think the BoA in Charlotte could be in the suburbs. Its design is far superior to generic looking suburban Atlanta, DC, or LA buildings. Same with Hearst. That couldn't be in the suburbs. Nor Wachovia. Im not saying i don't like the skyline because it looks suburban. I do like Charlottes skyline, especially from a distance. Its just the feel of it isn't very urban. Im not saying they could go in Atlanta, DC, or LA, im saying many of them could go in their suburbs. Or Dallas, Houston, etc

Not all of Charlottes Buildings look the same, no. But many do. Many of the same colors, shapes, etc They aren't exactly the same, but similar

Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
My point is that the skyline battles are stupid. Yes, Charlotte has nice skyline, but the city lacks in so many other areas. All I'm saying is there should be more focus on other issues (i.e. lack of downtown retail, dining, etc...).

My point is that there are other threads that DO focus on other issues. This one focuses on skylines, per the title. I wouldn't come into this thread expecting a discussion about rail transit or density.

I'm not sure that downtown dining and retail is necessarily considered an issue anyway. There is dining and retail galore in other areas nearby...why is it even needed in the financial district? I can't remember for certain, but I'm thinking that the CBD/downtown district of Baltimore isn't exactly overflowing with retail and restaurants - they are nearby, but in other areas/neighborhoods.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowh View Post
lol my quote was "Legg is the tallest, but is nowhere near dominating of the skyline as the BoA, WDS tower, and even the former Alex Brown (now commerce) tower are very near in height". I hope you Don't think Charlotte is the only city with a BoA, Because Baltimore has one too.

I don't feel you could say the same thing about any building in any city. For Example, I don't think the BoA in Charlotte could be in the suburbs. Its design is far superior to generic looking suburban Atlanta, DC, or LA buildings. Same with Hearst. That couldn't be in the suburbs. Nor Wachovia. Im not saying i don't like the skyline because it looks suburban. I do like Charlottes skyline, especially from a distance. Its just the feel of it isn't very urban. Im not saying they could go in Atlanta, DC, or LA, im saying many of them could go in their suburbs. Or Dallas, Houston, etc

Not all of Charlottes Buildings look the same, no. But many do. Many of the same colors, shapes, etc They aren't exactly the same, but similar
My apologies then...I misunderstood your statement, although it wasn't all that clearly stated. I know there are BOA buildings in many cities.

Now, are you saying that superior design is not found in suburban areas of large cities? There is no building that is just far too superior to be located somewhere else. If a developer wanted to build a BOA-like structure in Tyson's Corner, I don't think anyone would fight it because it's too good for their suburb...

I still think I showed you many photos of Charlotte buildings that do not look alike...not the same colors, not the same shapes.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My point is that there are other threads that DO focus on other issues. This one focuses on skylines, per the title. I wouldn't come into this thread expecting a discussion about rail transit or density.

I'm not sure that downtown dining and retail is necessarily considered an issue anyway. There is dining and retail galore in other areas nearby...why is it even needed in the financial district? I can't remember for certain, but I'm thinking that the CBD/downtown district of Baltimore isn't exactly overflowing with retail and restaurants - they are nearby, but in other areas/neighborhoods.
I was just saying skyline battles are pointless. Unless, however, you are one of the few who thinks a pretty skyline makes for a great city. I don't really care so don't bother responding.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
This is true. However, Charlotte is improving at this just as quickly as a city can. Baltimore has Power Plant Live. Well, Charlotte now has Epicentre. Both of these complexes are VERY comparable in function. I agree, Uptown Charlotte needs more, but check out the links for both of these places. Both have Howl at the Moon which is VERY ironic being that there are not that many of these (piano bars) in the country.

Power Plant Live Baltimore
:::{ POWER PLANT LIVE }:::

Epicentre Charlotte
Alive After Five at EpiCentre - Charlotte, NC

Here is a link for ALL Howl at the Moon locations in the Nation.
http://www.howlatthemoon.com/locations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City