Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times

Advertisements

Less Midwestern in what sense?

Both are pretty Midwestern to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
St. Louis is a little Southern, and Minneapolis is a little Canadian. Both are less Midwestern to me than Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland.
Yeah, that would about sum up how I see the cities.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yeah, that would about sum up how I see the cities.
Really? I see St. Louis as the quentessential Midwestern city. I do not consider Minneapolis-St. Paul that way at all, so in terms of being most "Midwestern", I give it to STL. Chicago is Midwestern in many ways but it's also East Coast in many ways: fast-moving, uber-urban, diverse (culturally), etc. Milwaukee is an extention of Chicago, basically, and Cleveland is often cited as being more "Eastern" than Midwest, so I find that to be an odd choice as "most Midwestern".

STL....and Kansas City felt SO Midwestern to me (not to mention almost every city between Minneapolis and KC on the way) that it actually made me feel a bit uncomfortable (even though I was born/raised in the Midwest). I can't explain why, but something felt different about that trip and its cities (Albert Lea, Des Moines, St. Joseph, Kansas City).

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
They're both as Midwestern as the day is long. In fact, they are both on the Mississippi River.

Saint Louis is a little brawnier/more industrial, has more French/Irish/German/Italian history, is more Catholic, one will shovel less snow, and one can get by without an engine block heater.

Minneapolis has more of a service/professional base, has stronger Nordic roots, is more Lutheran, one will shovel more snow, and one will need an engine block heater.

I could probably exist in St. Louis. I would probably go into a coma in the Twin Cities.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
They're both as Midwestern as the day is long. In fact, they are both on the Mississippi River.

Saint Louis is a little brawnier/more industrial, has more French/Irish/German/Italian history, is more Catholic, one will shovel less snow, and one can get by without an engine block heater.

Minneapolis has more of a service/professional base, has stronger Nordic roots, is more Lutheran, one will shovel more snow, and one will need an engine block heater.

I could probably exist in St. Louis. I would probably go into a coma in the Twin Cities.
Why do you enter these threads if you have nothing useful to say whatsoever? I don't go to an LA thread and spout off things I don't know anything about and put down LA. Get a life man!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Why do you enter these threads if you have nothing useful to say whatsoever? I don't go to an LA thread and spout off things I don't know anything about and put down LA. Get a life man!
Because I've been to 42 out of the lower 48 and have an opinion. That said, I'd live in St. Louis MO.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Because I've been to 42 out of the lower 48 and have an opinion. That said, I'd live in St. Louis MO.
That says something about YOU, I think.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
That says something about YOU, I think.
It just says that I'd rather live where my ethnic/religious demographics are more represented.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
It just says that I'd rather live where my ethnic/religious demographics are more represented.
So why join this thread.....since you don't think Minneapolis and/or St. Louis have ethnic/religious variety? Or are you here just to put these areas down?

Is this what you do with your free time? Ever consider Prozac....or even heroin to pass the time?

Just curious, but what are you? An alien who worships the moon? What CAN'T you do in these cities freely?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
So why join this thread.....since you don't think Minneapolis and/or St. Louis have ethnic/religious variety? Or are you here just to put these areas down?

Is this what you do with your free time? Ever consider Prozac....or even heroin to pass the time?
Why exactly are you here, then? Of the Midwest, I might like Kansas City, Cleveland and Saint Louis, in that order. I like Indianapolis for its people. I really don't care for the other metros. And, yes, I've visited most of them. Would I choose to live there? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City