Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Cincy. Ten years ago Cleveland was making a move, but it seems stagnated.

I'm not including Chicago, it's in a category by itself
Most cities have been experiencing at least a slight stagnation in population growth or development (or both) for at least a year, maybe two. The economy has stifled the momentum of cities across the U.S., which is especially tough on cities like Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You are VERY mistaken to think St. Louis couldn't qualify as a Rust Belt city. The Rust Belt isn't just confined to around the Great Lakes. That's just one map...and in that article unless someone edited it the last time I checked it even mentions St. Louis CAN be considered a rust belt city...you'd be very mistaken to think St. Louis has never been considered a Rust Belt city. It was an industrial manufacturing city for most of the 19th and at least half of the 20th century...it manufactured cars, airplanes, made belts and shoes....and yes, it did produce steel. if Cincinnati is Rust Belt, so is St. Louis. In fact, Cincinnati and Columbus and Indianapolis have far less fitting characteristics to the Rust Belt than St. Louis. It suffered economically just as badly as Detroit and Cleveland and Milwaukee..it has only been rebounding as of a few years ago. Drive into North City and East St. Louis and you will see the Rust Belt characteristics. Anyone who think St. Louis can't be considered a Rust Belt City has obviously never been here. St. Louis has been referred to as a Rust Belt city around here ever since I can remember being alive.
Gotta disagree. St Louis is definitely outside the commonly agreed upon bounds of the Rust Belt, that's what makes it a "Belt". If we were to include any city whose economy formerly was dominated by manufacturing, we'd have to include Pueblo, CO ("Pittsburgh of the West") and Birmingham, AL ("Pittsburgh of the South") as well. Yes, St Louis has suffered economically as its industries declined, but so have Pueblo and Birmingham. All 3 cities definitely have Rust Belt characteristsics, but they are not located in the belt.

Lots of corn is grown in Upstate NY and in CA's Central Valley, but nobody considers those regions part of the Corn Belt. There are lots of Evangelical Christians in CA, CO and UT, but nobody considers them part of the Bible Belt.
Lots of cotton grown in CA, but no one considers CA part of the Cotton Belt.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Pittsburgh. I love Cleveland, but Pittsburgh is just amazing considering what it's been through.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You are VERY mistaken to think St. Louis couldn't qualify as a Rust Belt city. The Rust Belt isn't just confined to around the Great Lakes. That's just one map...and in that article unless someone edited it the last time I checked it even mentions St. Louis CAN be considered a rust belt city...you'd be very mistaken to think St. Louis has never been considered a Rust Belt city. It was an industrial manufacturing city for most of the 19th and at least half of the 20th century...it manufactured cars, airplanes, made belts and shoes....and yes, it did produce steel. if Cincinnati is Rust Belt, so is St. Louis. In fact, Cincinnati and Columbus and Indianapolis have far less fitting characteristics to the Rust Belt than St. Louis. It suffered economically just as badly as Detroit and Cleveland and Milwaukee..it has only been rebounding as of a few years ago. Drive into North City and East St. Louis and you will see the Rust Belt characteristics. Anyone who think St. Louis can't be considered a Rust Belt City has obviously never been here. St. Louis has been referred to as a Rust Belt city around here ever since I can remember being alive.

Never been to St. Louis, but I'm trying to get there. Sounds really interesting... But from my reading, travel guides, housing guides, wikipedia, etc, plus GOOGLE-ing, St. Louis definitely has "rust belt" qualities, for sure. And if you MSN.Live (Bing Maps) and GOOGLE Street Views, the North Side look as desolate and downtrodden as much of Detroit, Milwaukee's North Side and Cleveland's East Side --- all have kind of that post-industrial wasteland sorta look Rust Belt cities tend to have, unfortunately.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:24 PM

358 posts, read 754,952 times
No one does coleslaw and french fries in a sandwich better than Pittsburgh!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM

25 posts, read 87,567 times
Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have my votes. I live near Cincinnati and, while they're a little behind, they're making some extremely impressive investments in the city. Also, 16% of the population of Cincy still works in manufacturing so it's still a very industrial city.
I visited Pittsburgh 2 years ago and I loved it. They've done a relatively good job rebuilding themselves.

Also, I don't see how you could possibly include Chicago in the "Rust Belt." Yeah, it's manufacturing and industrial sectors have seen declines but it's one of the richest and most powerful cities in the world. It's a worldwide economic driver. It was able quite easily to bounce back with financial services, etc. even after the end of the industrial era in the USA. It definitely has some of the blight but it would be hard to argue to be able to put it on the level of Cleveland, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Akron, or anyplace like that.

Good day, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City