Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times

Advertisements

Which city do you like better? Which city has more to do in their metro area? Which is more unique, Canada's Capitol or America's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Washington DC is bigger and I would say has more to do, but Ottawa has an European feel to it due to the architecture there and the proximity to Quebec/French Canadian culture. Ottawa is also one of the safest major cities in Canada, if not the safest.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Which city do you like better? Which city has more to do in their metro area? Which is more unique, Canada's Capitol or America's?
DC. Ottawa is just all white people who speak English. Theres more French on the signs than you hear in person. Gatineau is a French speaking town across the river in Quebec though. WAY more stuff do in DC and DC is bigger and more much more unique. In every sense of the word. If youre in Canada go to Montreal or Vancouver. Ottawa is just like small town, USA with about as much importance.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:03 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Washington DC. I'm American and enjoy our history.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:02 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
DC. Ottawa is just all white people who speak English. Theres more French on the signs than you hear in person. Gatineau is a French speaking town across the river in Quebec though. WAY more stuff do in DC and DC is bigger and more much more unique. In every sense of the word. If youre in Canada go to Montreal or Vancouver. Ottawa is just like small town, USA with about as much importance.
And what is wrong with this? Canada is a majority-white country with a connection to Europe, after all.

Why do people assume that any city with a large white majority has to be "dull". As if you need Sri Lankan restaurants and Korean pop music to be "hïp".

Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
And what is wrong with this? Canada is a majority-white country with a connection to Europe, after all.

Why do people assume that any city with a large white majority has to be "dull". As if you need Sri Lankan restaurants and Korean pop music to be "hïp".
Actually, Ottawa is relatively "diverse" anyway and is not just full of White folks. Community Profiles from the 2006 Census, Statistics Canada - Figure

Community Profiles from the 2006 Census, Statistics Canada - Figure

2006 Community Profiles - Census Subdivision

2006 Community Profiles - Census Metropolitan Area/Census Agglomeration

Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
I'm sure you're correct; I wasn't really arguing that point. Ottawa seems like a perfectly lovely city, but I've never been.

I just take issue with people slamming "white culture" because it's the PC thing to do.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
DC. More going on, and it's warmer.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I'm sure you're correct; I wasn't really arguing that point. Ottawa seems like a perfectly lovely city, but I've never been.

I just take issue with people slamming "white culture" because it's the PC thing to do.
I know. I caught on to that too. It's not like Whites are monolithic. So, Ottawa still can have cultural diversity, which it does.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
For a city of 900,000 people, Ottawa is probably more diverse than a lot of similar-sized cities in the U.S. Many cities in the U.S. that have large "minority" populations usually have primarily either the white vs. African-American or the white vs. Hispanic dichotomiess going on, with only small populations of other groups outside of those three.

Ottawa may have smaller proportions of persons of African or Latin American origins, but it does have these groups present in addition to 4 or 5% each of a huge array of groups from all over the world.

It also has (because of Gatineau) around 25% of 30% of its metro area that totally functions in a language other than English, and by this I mean everything from cops talking on the radio, schools, courts and engineering firms to McDonald's, Home Depot and movie theatres.

Although most of these French speakers are white French Canadians, this parallel language and cultural reality also contributes to human "diversity" in the Ottawa area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City