Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 06:03 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Not to take anything away from Ottawa, but Washington is just on a different level. I feel that it is one of the most overlooked/underrated cities anywhere, and that's saying a lot considering it is the capital of a super power! Washington is very charming, and I love the layout.

I've never been to Ottawa, but it appears to be like most Canadian cities. Clean, modern, but just lacking that unique vibe. I could be wrong, and I hope to visit it someday soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 07:26 AM

444 posts, read 282,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
That looks like it was during Covid. People are even all masked outside and the video is 3 years old.

So I’d say Union Market District looks like byward based on the videos posted these days as far as liveliness.

But I think Washington’s answer to Byward Market (i haven’t been there fwiw) is probably Georgetown (M St & Wisconsin Ave).
Lets see some video evidence of the liveliness in Washington then.

P.S. The Ottawa video is also during covid summer of 2021.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:22 AM

129 posts, read 58,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post

I don’t know when that video of DC is. I just see it’s uploaded “3 years ago”. It could be 3 years and 8 months for all I know. Did Ottawa not take Covid seriously nor mask? In either event, you’re looking at footage of when everyone was masking even outside in DC… That’s just a different era at this point.

I’m not looking up videos, I live in DC so I already know what it’s like.You’ll just have to visit or do more research yourself. You seem to have your mind made up so it just doesn’t seem worth the effort to go out of my way to search YouTube videos.

Adam’s Morgan, U St corridor, 14th NW, H Street Corridor, National Mall & many more bustling areas. It’s one of America’s largest metropolitan areas & most urban cities. It’s not that hard to believe it would be lively.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:17 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:

Lol. Come visit Washington DC and see for yourself man. It's not that hard. I'll show you around. Watching random YouTube videos to prove something online vs a lived experience does 0% justice. Eastern Market and Union Market both are enormously vibrant all four seasons of the year. I was at Union Market last month and even on a Sunday it was packed.

Like someone else mentioned though, the better equivalent would probably be M Street/Wisconsin Ave intersection in Georgetown.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:24 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Not to take anything away from Ottawa, but Washington is just on a different level. I feel that it is one of the most overlooked/underrated cities anywhere, and that's saying a lot considering it is the capital of a super power! Washington is very charming, and I love the layout.

I've never been to Ottawa, but it appears to be like most Canadian cities. Clean, modern, but just lacking that unique vibe. I could be wrong, and I hope to visit it someday soon.
Ottawa also has some nice older architecture due to the government buildings and older parts of town. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4232...2i38?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4272...2i38?entry=ttu

I also need to make my way up there again, as it has been a while and it is only about 3 hours away(DC is about 5).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-23-2024 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-23-2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol. Come visit Washington DC and see for yourself man. It's not that hard. I'll show you around. Watching random YouTube videos to prove something online vs a lived experience does 0% justice. Eastern Market and Union Market both are enormously vibrant all four seasons of the year. I was at Union Market last month and even on a Sunday it was packed.

Like someone else mentioned though, the better equivalent would probably be M Street/Wisconsin Ave intersection in Georgetown.
I showed Ottawa byward market on a typical weekend in the summer and you guys are saying that Washington has similar area that is much better and more lively. If that is the case it should be easy to find and show a video demonstrating that on here to prove your point

I found a video which but apparently it wasn't representative so all i am asking if for someone to post a representative video of said area so i can compare it to byward market area of Ottawa. I don't see why this is a difficult ask, it's just finding a link and pasting it here.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 01-23-2024 at 10:24 PM..

Old 01-24-2024, 06:52 AM

129 posts, read 58,204 times
Quote:
I showed Ottawa byward market on a typical weekend in the summer and you guys are saying that Washington has similar area that is much better and more lively. If that is the case it should be easy to find and show a video demonstrating that on here to prove your point

I found a video which but apparently it wasn't representative so all i am asking if for someone to post a representative video of said area so i can compare it to byward market area of Ottawa. I don't see why this is a difficult ask, it's just finding a link and pasting it here.
https://youtu.be/0pKfy0vlksU?si=IjkTeps27eQqn13a

There you go. M St. not including the canal, waterfront or Wisconsin.

That’s not the only “lively” place but the one that seemed similar to your video.

Here’s 14th & U: https://youtu.be/9fArIztcB-E?si=YSSGN8jPiaWmDHYV

Here’s Adam’s Morgan: https://youtu.be/-D3eCsbJPno?si=LP8vAixAeRKFAq1Z

There’s dozens of more areas like those. It’s almost normal across the city outside of downtown (which is still pretty active with tourist but not like the rest of the city)

& that’s ignoring the parts of the city with a larger concentration of new development such as Navy Yard or the Wharf. Here’s the wharf: https://youtu.be/dxMkNIA7SrA?si=EH3zH6HUvWBPX4Rm

My reluctance to search and post videos, btw, is because the spirit of this conversation seems to be more rivalry or more negative. I’ve never been to Canada and Have been thinking of visiting Montreal, Ottawa & Toronto soon. And I think fairly highly of Canadian cities, so. I’m not really into conversation that starts to become more critical - especially since I’ve never been to Ottawa.

Last edited by NorthAmerica_US; 01-24-2024 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-24-2024, 09:21 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Ottawa is nice but it is not on the same level as Washington DC.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
https://youtu.be/0pKfy0vlksU?si=IjkTeps27eQqn13a

There you go. M St. not including the canal, waterfront or Wisconsin.

That’s not the only “lively” place but the one that seemed similar to your video.

Here’s 14th & U: https://youtu.be/9fArIztcB-E?si=YSSGN8jPiaWmDHYV

Here’s Adam’s Morgan: https://youtu.be/-D3eCsbJPno?si=LP8vAixAeRKFAq1Z

There’s dozens of more areas like those. It’s almost normal across the city outside of downtown (which is still pretty active with tourist but not like the rest of the city)

& that’s ignoring the parts of the city with a larger concentration of new development such as Navy Yard or the Wharf. Here’s the wharf: https://youtu.be/dxMkNIA7SrA?si=EH3zH6HUvWBPX4Rm

My reluctance to search and post videos, btw, is because the spirit of this conversation seems to be more rivalry or more negative. I’ve never been to Canada and Have been thinking of visiting Montreal, Ottawa & Toronto soon. And I think fairly highly of Canadian cities, so. I’m not really into conversation that starts to become more critical - especially since I’ve never been to Ottawa.
Thank you, this is what i wanted to see.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:31 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
I don’t know when that video of DC is. I just see it’s uploaded “3 years ago”. It could be 3 years and 8 months for all I know. Did Ottawa not take Covid seriously nor mask? In either event, you’re looking at footage of when everyone was masking even outside in DC… That’s just a different era at this point.
Anti-COVID measures were extremely harsh in Ottawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City