Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Alabama or South Carolina?
Alabama 80 24.10%
South Carolina 252 75.90%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

As a Black guy native to South Carolina, Charleston's not perfect, but it's pretty darn cool--one of the most historic and urban cities in the South, and easily the most urban between SC and AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As a Black guy native to South Carolina, Charleston's not perfect, but it's pretty darn cool--one of the most historic and urban cities in the South, and easily the most urban between SC and AL.

I'd say Birmingham and Columbia seems more urban IMO.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Charleston's metro is roughly 650,000, Birmingham's, 1.2 million and Columbia's, 730,000. Of the three, however, Charleston is experiencing the most rapid growth. (Wikipedia)

Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And what are you talking about? The Beaches at Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, AL are sugar white and gorgeous, the water a beautiful blue...
Well when I've gone to the National Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores the water has been brown. At the same time, the water at Pensacola Beach was turquoise-blue. That's what I'm talking about. Gulf Shores is sugar white beaches and brown water and Pensacola Beach is sugar white beaches and turquoise-blue water.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Dude, I've been living in the Charleston area for the past 10 years. If you consider an area that is mostly white with a large number of African Americans and a growing number of illegal immigrants as "diverse" then you obviously don't travel much.

I'm originally from New Jersey. North Jersey to be exact. If you want to see what real diversity looks like then take a trip there.
Here we go. Everybody from anywhere in the general vicinity of NYC wants to bring that vicinity up when somebody talks about diversity or urbanity, etc. Nobody is talking about "in comparison to New Jersey." If an area has a large number of African Americans, as you say, then it isn't totally white, therefore it has some diversity, you know, as opposed to being totally white and utterly lacking in diversity. And the Reggae Nights concerts I've been to at James Island County Park didn't look totally white either.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Nah, trust me, it's Charleston; don't confuse a skyline with being urban. Because of the layout of the city (downtown) and the era in which it matured, it's easily the most urban of the three. It's the most walkable and has a pretty dense downtown (denser than Columbia's, not sure if it's denser than Birmingham's). It's one of the few cities in the country that can say that at one point, it was actually larger than NYC.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
I would rather be physically tortured before living in either one of these states. If forced to choose then I would live in the Rock Hill area that way I could be near Charlotte, which resembles a few characteristics of a city.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
I would rather be physically tortured before living in either one of these states. If forced to choose then I would live in the Rock Hill area that way I could be near Charlotte, which resembles a few characteristics of a city.
Indeed, I will note that the next time I post a poll that says, "Alabama, South Carolina, or torture?"

Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Nah, trust me, it's Charleston; don't confuse a skyline with being urban. Because of the layout of the city (downtown) and the era in which it matured, it's easily the most urban of the three. It's the most walkable and has a pretty dense downtown (denser than Columbia's, not sure if it's denser than Birmingham's). It's one of the few cities in the country that can say that at one point, it was actually larger than NYC.
I didnt confuse a skyline. I have been to all three cities and I can tell you that Charleston felt the smallest to me. Birmingham city is more urban than Charleston by far. All you got to do is ride through all of these cities and that will be obvious.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I didnt confuse a skyline. I have been to all three cities and I can tell you that Charleston felt the smallest to me. Birmingham city is more urban than Charleston by far. All you got to do is ride through all of these cities and that will be obvious.
You don't judge a city's urbanity by riding through; you judge it based on how walkable it is, how intact and cohesive the urban fabric is. For instance, neither Columbia or Birmingham have anything comparable to King Street. A place can be (or feel) smaller and yet more urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City