Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
thats the geographical center of all 50 states, including alaska.

the geographical center of the lower 48 states is in lebanon, kansas
I don't understand. Why are we not including the geographic center of the entire US? If we don't, then we are ignoring facts. You are only using Lebanon in order to prove your agenda. The geographic center of the east coast, for example is in southern Virginia (i believe). When the M/D line was in 1763, the geographic center of the Colonies was certainly even different.

Speaking of the (now culturally meaningless) M/D line, an interesting fact: "After Pennsylvania abolished slavery in 1781, the western part of this line and the Ohio River became a border between free and slave states, although Delaware remained a slave state." So even though the line turns south on the delmarva, that part of the line had no cultural use as the horizontal line did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Ok Washington DC is definetly, legally, and factually in the south. Just check this out

"James Madison, writing in the Federalist No. 43, also argued that the national capital needed to be distinct from the states, in order to provide for its own maintenance and safety.[13] The Constitution, however, does not select a specific site for the location of the new District. Proposals from the legislatures of Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Virginia all offered territory for the location of the national capital. Northern states preferred a capital located in one of the nation's prominent cities, unsurprisingly, almost all of which were in the north. Conversely, Southern states preferred that the capital be located closer to their agricultural and slave-holding interests.[14] The selection of the area around the Potomac River for the new national capital was agreed upon between James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton had a proposal for the new federal government to take over debts accrued by the states during the Revolutionary War. However, by 1790, Southern states had largely repaid their overseas debts. Hamilton's proposal would effectively mean that Southern states would be forced to assume a share of Northern debt. Jefferson and Madison agreed to this proposal but in return lobbied for a federal capital located in the South.[15]"

Therefore Maryland and Virginia should seem more southern. Since DC is the heart of Maryland and Virginia, right?... and it is the only city that is legally southern. Savannah is a tropical paradise like Miami and it's whole economy is based on selling southern history. So how does being a tropical paradise not make a place southern? Like I said before culture is something that comes out of a region it does not define it. All these places make up the south in different ways. The census is the only way to define a region with leading to sterotypes.
This is why I use the term stereotypical definition all the time. I realize that what me and most other people around the country think of different groups of people and different parts of the country is in large part stereotypical. A lot of people don't realize with their ideas that they're stereotyping. I realize this so I like to use the term stereotypical definition. I know a lot of my ideas about places I've never been are probably in large part stereotypes.

You bring up a good point; just because a place is tropical doesn't mean it isn't southern. The Caribbean is further south than the American south and it's very tropical.

I would like to visit Savannah and Miami some time. They look like nice places. I've seen Savannah on TV and all the big Live Oak trees look cool.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:07 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
This is why I use the term stereotypical definition all the time. I realize that what me and most other people around the country think of different groups of people and different parts of the country is in large part stereotypical. A lot of people don't realize with their ideas that they're stereotyping. I realize this so I like to use the term stereotypical definition. I know a lot of my ideas about places I've never been are probably in large part stereotypes.

You bring up a good point; just because a place is tropical doesn't mean it isn't southern. The Caribbean is further south than the American south and it's very tropical.

I would like to visit Savannah and Miami some time. They look like nice places. I've seen Savannah on TV and all the big Live Oak trees look cool.
Fair enough... Savannah is lovely. If you go be sure to try some low country boil

Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
ATLien I'll just show u some of Baltimore and u can see for yourself whether or not it's like ATL or any other southern city.

YouTube - Row Row Rowhouses

YouTube - Typical Baltimore

Google Maps

Baltimore Accent (The Black version)... my accent isnt as heavy.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 09-19-2010 at 06:38 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

YouTube - Felicia "Snoop" Pearso

Heres the Baltimore accent( the black version) my accent isnt as heavy

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
ATLien I'll just show u some of Baltimore and u can see for yourself whether or not it's like ATL or any other southern city.

YouTube - Row Row Rowhouses

YouTube - Typical Baltimore

Google Maps
That looks more like northern cities to me.

In fact, having traveled so much, that's definitely a more northern style. Southern cities tend to look smaller and less dense.

For example, Baton rouge looks like a series of small towns stuck together.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That looks more like northern cities to me.

In fact, having traveled so much, that's definitely a more northern style. Southern cities tend to look smaller and less dense.

For example, Baton rouge looks like a series of small towns stuck together.

Baltimore is huge. Northeastern cities are very dense in comparison to southern cities. The densest southern cities are nowhere near as dense as the cities in the north. The only exception is Miami that I know of. Cities in the south boast about their population, when in fact it's spread over several hundred sq miles. Baltimore is only 88 sq miles with a population of 640,000.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:09 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Baltimore is huge. Northeastern cities are very dense in comparison to southern cities. The densest southern cities are nowhere near as dense as the cities in the north. The only exception is Miami that I know of. Cities in the south boast about their population, when in fact it's spread over several hundred sq miles. Baltimore is only 88 sq miles with a population of 640,000.
You really can't generalize like that...some southern cities are certainly spread over hundreds of square miles, while others are more compact. Some northeastern cities are very dense, while others are more spread out.

Jacksonville is an example of a city covering several hundred square miles...Houston, Charlotte, Louisville, and Memphis are as well. Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, and Richmond are examples of more compact southern cities. There isn't a region of the U.S. that is the same throughout, but people love to characterize the South as such for some reason.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You really can't generalize like that...some southern cities are certainly spread over hundreds of square miles, while others are more compact. Some northeastern cities are very dense, while others are more spread out.

Jacksonville is an example of a city covering several hundred square miles...Houston, Charlotte, Louisville, and Memphis are as well. Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, and Richmond are examples of more compact southern cities. There isn't a region of the U.S. that is the same throughout, but people love to characterize the South as such for some reason.
None of those southern compact cities can really compare to typical northeastern cities when it comes to density except Miami. Baltimore is twice the size of Tampa, with only 2/3's the land area...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Charleston is the least Southern City in the South in my opinion.

There are many areas that are transplant strongholds. Just look for the places with the highest home prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City