Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

So in this topic, we're going to do city vs city via tv shows. You can use any rubric (you simply liked the show or you felt the show was an accurate depiction of the city, etc., though please state why). Even better if people can chime in with just how "accurate" the shows are.

Frasier and Seattle always appealed to me, even though I probably wasn't the demographic they were going for. It was smart and hopelessly neurotic with the mundane and cosmopolitan happening all at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Sesame Street! I grew up watching the show in the late '70s and early '80s, and I know it's shaped my perception of city life. It's a very Jane Jacobs-esque show. Obviously parts of it are very unrealistic (never had a talking grouch in my trash can, and it's a highly romanticized view of city life - in their case NYC life) overall it does give a flavor of why people like to live in a city environment. I wish I lived on Sesame Street, although my current street is pretty nice, too, despite the lack of chatty monsters. I especially appreciate it because so many other children's shows seem to assume a middle-class suburban (or at least not extremely urban) lifestyle. Variety is good.

It's not a TV show, but I think the movie Swingers captured a fairly realistic slice of life in Hollywood.

It's an interesting question, though, and reminds me of a book I recently read where the author suggested that perhaps shows such as Seinfeld and Friends helped spur the movement of people back into the cities.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Frasier, and Seinfeld. Interestingly enough I have yet to meet anyone who likes Frasier and not Seinfeld or vice-versa.

I hate Sex and the City and Friends.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Sesame Street! I grew up watching the show in the late '70s and early '80s, and I know it's shaped my perception of city life. It's a very Jane Jacobs-esque show. Obviously parts of it are very unrealistic (never had a talking grouch in my trash can, and it's a highly romanticized view of city life - in their case NYC life) overall it does give a flavor of why people like to live in a city environment. I wish I lived on Sesame Street, although my current street is pretty nice, too, despite the lack of chatty monsters. I especially appreciate it because so many other children's shows seem to assume a middle-class suburban (or at least not extremely urban) lifestyle. Variety is good.

It's not a TV show, but I think the movie Swingers captured a fairly realistic slice of life in Hollywood.

It's an interesting question, though, and reminds me of a book I recently read where the author suggested that perhaps shows such as Seinfeld and Friends helped spur the movement of people back into the cities.
I had the same thought for a while--can you gimme the name of that book?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Seinfeld is pretty accurate to what it's like living in NY. I agree with Hoarfrost. A lot of the jokes us NYers can really relate to; that's why it's so funny. Unless you live here, you won't quite fully understand the jokes. One example I can think of is a joke they made about the Van Wyck. Only a NYer would understand that.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Frasier, and Seinfeld. Interestingly enough I have yet to meet anyone who likes Frasier and not Seinfeld or vice-versa.

I hate Sex and the City and Friends.
I always thought that SATC was, if anything, a great love letter to NYC. It always made me miss living there when I watched it.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I always thought that SATC was, if anything, a great love letter to NYC. It always made me miss living there when I watched it.

But most people don't live an extravagant lifestyle like they do. A lot of tourists think that.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But most people don't live an extravagant lifestyle like they do. A lot of tourists think that.
Well, that's true...it was a romanticized view of the city, obviously...but I loved it anyway.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:07 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Static Shock
Without the mutants

Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I had the same thought for a while--can you gimme the name of that book?
It was "The Option of Urbanism: Investing in a New American Dream" by Christopher B. Leinberger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City