Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I noticed that all the videos(at least almost all) that are considered "good " hip-hop,that has been posted on this thread ,is before 2000.They have also been video's from the North.That tells me that the music was bad well before this decade which the South has owned.It seemed it started going down hill after 1997.
There has been bad hip hop since it started in 73 but I cant remember a time before 2005 (when the south took over the game) where a MAJORITY of the music was bad, thats why Hip Hop heads have a bone to pick with the south.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,242,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
There has been bad hip hop since it started in 73 but I cant remember a time before 2005 (when the south took over the game) where a MAJORITY of the music was bad, thats why Hip Hop heads have a bone to pick with the south.
True, though there's still tons of great hip-hop. It's just commercial hip-hop that's had the crappy stuff multiply big time...but it's pretty much our own fault. People eat that cookie-cutter club and gangster music up, and the big record labels that are responsible for those crappy rappers are just trying to make as much money as they can, so they cater to what the audience wants. If everyone was demanding quality hip-hop, then we'd get more of it on the radio. The truth is a lot of people who listen to crappy commercial rap aren't even fans of "hip-hop" and don't know much about hip-hop. They're just fans of the commercial stuff on the radio, which is all they really know.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
I actually think the South started their takeover around '98-'99 with No Limit, Rap-A-Lot and Cash Money. Atlanta started to dominate right after that with the whole Crunk thing getting more attention, and then you had other big exposure for the South with the rise of 3-6 Mafia, Trick Daddy and more quality from Outkast. The South has been a force for a while now, and to me it began around the same time that Eminem and DMX were coming up.

As for the cancer that has infected hip hop, I have always felt that it began with Puffy and Mase in '97, immediately following the death of Biggie. They pushed that flashy, no talent, bubblegum crap like no one else and were all about money and record sales over quality. And IMO Puffy's rise to prominence lead to NYC's decline in the mainstream. Jay Z, Mobb Deep and a few others tried to keep it alive, but Puff had already set the wheels in motion. Before that point, Puff had a smaller public presence (even though his role was essentially the same). When he started hogging up the spotlight with Mase/Harlem World, it all went downhill IMO. And all the other quality that existed on his label (Junior MAFIA (aside from little Cease), Lil Kim, Total, 112, Craig Mack, etc.) seemed to slowly vanish.

So I think it began with Puffy, and it slowly gained momentum over time. When ATL's younger generation picked up the reigns, it basically jumped off a cliff to hurry the effects of its slow, painful death. And now we are left with crap from all over the place like T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Souljah Boy, Lady Gaga, Beyonce (now), Flo-Rida, Kanye (good producer but overrated as a rapper IMO), New Boyz, R. Kelly (now he blows), Twista, Jamie Foxx, Hurricane Chris, The Dream and Mims, and have to hear about garbage like ice cream paint jobs, being a jerk and blaming it on the alcohol. Its depressing to look at the current state of hip hop and r&b.

Clear Channel's takeover of 90% of the nation's radio stations and forcefeeding us the music of whoever they decide is supposed to be the hottest at a given moment is also largely responsible. That and MTV making music a low priority as opposed to it presenting us more variety like it used to.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM

542 posts, read 1,500,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I actually think the South started their takeover around '98-'99 with No Limit, Rap-A-Lot and Cash Money. Atlanta started to dominate right after that with the whole Crunk thing getting more attention, and then you had other big exposure for the South with the rise of 3-6 Mafia, Trick Daddy and more quality from Outkast. The South has been a force for a while now, and to me it began around the same time that Eminem and DMX were coming up.

As for the cancer that has infected hip hop, I have always felt that it began with Puffy and Mase in '97, immediately following the death of Biggie. They pushed that flashy, no talent, bubblegum crap like no one else and were all about money and record sales over quality. And IMO Puffy's rise to prominence lead to NYC's decline in the mainstream. Jay Z, Mobb Deep and a few others tried to keep it alive, but Puff had already set the wheels in motion. Before that point, Puff had a smaller public presence (even though his role was essentially the same). When he started hogging up the spotlight with Mase/Harlem World, it all went downhill IMO. And all the other quality that existed on his label (Junior MAFIA (aside from little Cease), Lil Kim, Total, 112, Craig Mack, etc.) seemed to slowly vanish.

So I think it began with Puffy, and it slowly gained momentum over time. When ATL's younger generation picked up the reigns, it basically jumped off a cliff to hurry the effects of its slow, painful death. And now we are left with crap from all over the place like T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Souljah Boy, Lady Gaga, Beyonce (now), Flo-Rida, Kanye (good producer but overrated as a rapper IMO), New Boyz, R. Kelly (now he blows), Twista, Jamie Foxx, Hurricane Chris, The Dream and Mims, and have to hear about garbage like ice cream paint jobs, being a jerk and blaming it on the alcohol. Its depressing to look at the current state of hip hop and r&b.

Clear Channel's takeover of 90% of the nation's radio stations and forcefeeding us the music of whoever they decide is supposed to be the hottest at a given moment is also largely responsible. That and MTV making music a low priority as opposed to it presenting us more variety like it used to.
Thank you!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,402,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
^ That's my game right there... But can somebody tell me how Tampa Is beating baltimore on the poll? No disrespect to tampa but, seriously, who in hip hop or r&B has come out of tampa bay. At least Baltimore has Dru hill, lil mo, and Mario. Hell, tupac lived in b-more for a while so IMO it should be leading tampa. Unfortunately I already voted, but its the thought that counts lol

-mas23-
Im trying to figure out why Tampa is even in the poll and where's Memphis???

Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
Quote:

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I do not get how you say Diddy killed Hip Hop. He did not killed Hip Hop. It was the South who killed Hip Hop.

Take a look at these videos and you will know what I am talking about.

90's Hip Hop of Puff daddy

YouTube - Puff Daddy feat. Mase - Can't Nobody Hold Me Down (Best Quality)

YouTube - Biggie Smalls feat Mase & Puff Daddy - Mo Money Mo Problems

Now you are saying puff daddy killed Hip HOp?

According to my research that I did on Southern Hip Hop, the first rap from the Southern United States to gain national noteriety was Miami Bass music from Miami, Florida This genre of music was primarily designed for dance clubs and focused on hard bass to get the party going, rather than lyricism.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-DI...?v=info&ref=mf

Southern hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is why you will notice that if you listen to Southern Hip Hop it will have more bass then the Northern Hip Hop. Northern Hip Hop has bass but not like the Southern Hip Hop.

This is why Southerns killed Hip Hop, because their main focus is not about lyrics is about dancing and putting a good bass sound.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,346,450 times
I don't think Puff and Mase killed Hip-Hop, yeah they were different but they could actually rap. It's only certain Southern rappers who are really doing the damage like Soulja Boy and DJ Unk, I don't like the song "You're a Jerk" but I heard The New Boyz freestyle on The Deal and they are actually good rappers who are way better than Soulja Boy. The South got some nice rappers though, I like T.I., Andre 3000, Paul Wall, etc. Hip-Hop isn't dead, just listen to any underground NYC, Philly, LA, Bay Area artist, I hope Hip-Hop comes out of this slump though.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:

Than you,again!I have been saying this the last 10 pages!!Diddy started the whole "I got money" craze.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't think Puff and Mase killed Hip-Hop, yeah they were different but they could actually rap. It's only certain Southern rappers who are really doing the damage like Soulja Boy and DJ Unk, I don't like the song "You're a Jerk" but I heard The New Boyz freestyle on The Deal and they are actually good rappers who are way better than Soulja Boy. The South got some nice rappers though, I like T.I., Andre 3000, Paul Wall, etc. Hip-Hop isn't dead, just listen to any underground NYC, Philly, LA, Bay Area artist, I hope Hip-Hop comes out of this slump though.
This is what another poster whom I agree with has said.All the commercial stuff pretty much sucks from all regions.Even in the South you have some really good underground hip hop,but they can't even get played on the big stations.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I do not get how you say Diddy killed Hip Hop. He did not killed Hip Hop. It was the South who killed Hip Hop.

Now you are saying puff daddy killed Hip HOp?
No, no. I'm not saying he single-handedly killed hip hop. I'm just saying that the trend towards valuing record sales that come from producing less-than-quality music over having a genuine love for the music began with him. He didn't do this on his own by any means, and he still has produced quality at times since the point I'm referencing. I just think he was at the forefront of the negative trend, that's all. By far most of the damage was done by folks that followed his example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
According to my research that I did on Southern Hip Hop, the first rap from the Southern United States to gain national noteriety was Miami Bass music from Miami, Florida This genre of music was primarily designed for dance clubs and focused on hard bass to get the party going, rather than lyricism.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-DI...?v=info&ref=mf

Southern hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is why you will notice that if you listen to Southern Hip Hop it will have more bass then the Northern Hip Hop. Northern Hip Hop has bass but not like the Southern Hip Hop.

This is why Southerns killed Hip Hop, because their main focus is not about lyrics is about dancing and putting a good bass sound.
The South isn't alone in this. Other regions produced crappy party music as well. Ja Rule is one of the biggest garbage pop rappers of all time. Keak da Sneak is one from out here that I think totally blows too (maybe not so much mainstream pop cause you might not even know him, but I think he still qualifies).

But I'd rather listen to someone with lyrics AND a good beat than just plain lyrics. People throwing out a bunch of metaphors over watered-down beats isn't good hip hop either in my eyes. We used to call that stuff "walkman music" because its nothing but treble. Its music, so both the lyrics and the beat are important for it to be quality, I think. Of course there can be some exceptions, but generally speaking this is how I feel about it.

I hear what you're saying about the Miami/Southern Bass sound though. That also applies to Jermaine Dupri and his SoSoDef Allstars albums. This type of music has always been a part of hip hop, since 2 Live Crew. I agree that this type of music doesn't do anything to help the state of hip hop and largely brings it down. And the South is the biggest contributor of the bass-heavy party music. But I just don't think the South is alone in bringing hip hop to the low point its gotten to now. Garbage artists from all sides share the blame, as well as consumers making the people who make this crap all rich by buying it.

Last edited by jman650; 07-30-2009 at 02:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City