Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,242,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
That pretty much sums up for me what comes to mind as what was the most dominant on the radio back then. That's why I had said I thought the South's takeover had begun then. But there's a REAL takeover now, and in comparison back then there was more variety. There was just a pretty huge jump in the significance of the South at that time (maybe 30% of radio play - that's just an arbitrary number), whereas now it seems to be more like 80% (again, just my perspective and not necessarily fact). And when I say 80%, I'm including the good like TI with the absolute garbage like Lil Wayne and T-Pain (no offense to anyone that's a fan of them, but I ain't gonna lie, I hate em!)
Yeah, definitely it's more common now on the radio. We do have some good mainstream southern Rappers, including Ludacris and T.I like you said...but I wish we had some more. In spite of the crap we get to hear on the radio all the time, there's ton of good and great stuff from the south: UGK, Scarface/Geto Boys, Outkast, Goodie Mob, Little Brother, Nappy Roots, Cool Breeze, CYNE, Paul Wall (to an extent...he has some good stuff in my opinion), Soliloquists of Sound, Mystikal, some of the Cash Money stuff (mostly for nostalgic value), CunninLynguists, T.I, GRITS (they're a christian group, which i normally wouldn't go for, but they have some skill) and I even liked Lil Wayne back when he released Like Father Like Son with Birdman. That was a good album... Wayne is pretty much complete garbage nowadays though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I honestly can't stand Kanye West. This guy thinks he is above the law. His whole demeanor reminds me of P Diddy...takes himself far too seriously. I do like some Common stuff though.
Me too, i like a lot of his beats, but as a rapper and a person i really can't stand him. He's arrogant as hell. Remember when he proclaimed himself "the voice of the nation" or some crap a couple years ago?

The icing on the cake though is that several years ago, before he was too famous yet, he fell asleep at the wheel and got into a car crash in LA. His jaw got screwed up, but the driver in the other car way worse off. The other guy tried to sue Kanye for his medical bill blaming the crash on Kanye's wreckless driving. Kanye then changed his story and said the other dude swerved in front of him. So he admits fault at first, but when the other guy tries to sue him, he switches his story around. It's not like he couldn't afford to help this guy out anyways. And that's just one example of Kanye's douchebagerry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650
Yeah that was one thing I always thought was whack. When I'd talk to friends of mine in NY they wouldn't know hardly anything that came from outside of NY, and if they did 95% of the time it didn't come from any farther than Philly. That makes for a really narrow perspective.

Of course NYC was coming out with so much decent music before I'm sure you guys weren't suffering. But there's a whole rest of the country (and world) outside of NY and you guys shouldn't have been cut off from it. That's what lead to all the bi-coastal beef before. Artists from outside of NYC would get no love over there. NY would only play NY, while the rest of us would get stuff from all over. We have so much local music out here in the Bay (same with everywhere else), and we'd get to hear it part of the time, but the rest of the time would be split with whatever was hot from all over. And a huge portion of that was from NYC, but I'm glad it wasn't limited to just that.

Unfortunately now you do get to hear what everyone else has, and most of it collectively sucks. Your radios have done you extra dirty by deciding to not shield you guys from the pure crap that's out today. You know its gotten really bad when everyone young in the current generation seems to look to the past to find decent music. Its not just a generational thing; this is one point it seems most people from all over can agree on.
Good points, especially the bolded part. I wouldn't say everyone in the current generation...but everyone actually interested in hip-hop, and not just what's hot on MTV and the radio? Without a doubt!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Keyword in the south. I was talking about a national presence, like when the north started to realise the souths presence. Of course no limit was hot in the south. If you grew up in new york listening too hip hop, u might have thought that no one did hip hop outside the city. Thats what it was like in my early years
It was the Geto boys (Houston) that got everyone's attention.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,402,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The only people I like from Chicago is Yung Berg.
really??

Old 07-30-2009, 05:35 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The only people I like from Chicago is Twista, Shawnna and Yung Berg.

I could name more rappers from other cities that I like.
damn! I think yung berg is just .....OK. Nothing spectacular. The chicago's underground is pretty good though. I was impressed when I saw the talent.

-mas23-

Last edited by mas23; 07-30-2009 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM

As far as who took over hip hop this decade it goes a little something like this. Between 00-02 It was pretty much the east coast and the south was a close second, and I said EAST COAST as in not just NYC because philly was poppin too. As far as the midwest goes, st louis (ugh!) and detroit were pretty popular untill Kanye west came and chicago took over the mid west. I'd say the summer of 03 is when south just took the whole thing over especially ATL.

-mas23-

Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol the list you just gave reads to me as a list of reasons Chicago should not even be included. Everyone you listed sucks IMO aside from Lupe. R. Kelly used to be great, and then the millennium hit and he now has twice as many garbage albums as he does quality albums. Twista should just do Micro Machines commercials and auctions because I've never heard a single song by him that I didn't think was crap. Kanye is completely overrated as a rapper (great producer tho) and the only reason I think he's doing well is b/c his competition now is as sorry as it is. Common I've never liked ever since he was Common Sense; lyrically he's decent, but I can't think of one song of his I've ever liked. Please list some of the "more" you're speaking of because what you've listed makes Chicago sound pretty awful to me. (Lupe is quality though.)
Kanye west was decent but his newer stuff is ...meh. But common twista rhymefest and lupe are pretty good. People sleep on common all the time

-mas23

Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Keyword in the south. I was talking about a national presence, like when the north started to realise the souths presence. Of course no limit was hot in the south. If you grew up in new york listening too hip hop, u might have thought that no one did hip hop outside the city. Thats what it was like in my early years
This is where the disconnect is.New Yorkers live in a "bubble of sorts".You guys miss a lot of stuff going on because of various reasons.(I have my own opinions why,but I will save that for later.LOL)Music from the South in the late 1990's was played all over B.E.T. and on the charts every where EXCEPT New York and Philly.The top ten songs for many years were Southern Artist.Almost anywhere North of D.C.,you barely heard any music from the South.I was traveling all over the country in the Air Force and you would hear southern Hip Hop primarily in every region.Particularirly in the Midwest, outside of the South.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,630 times
Say what you want about the radio but I'd take Hot 97 over ANY other hip hop station in the country........but its still a garbage station its just good compared to a station say in Atlanta.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
As far as who took over hip hop this decade it goes a little something like this. Between 00-02 It was pretty much the east coast and the south was a close second, and I said EAST COAST as in not just NYC because philly was poppin too. As far as the midwest goes, st louis (ugh!) and detroit were pretty popular untill Kanye west came and chicago took over the mid west. I'd say the summer of 03 is when south just took the whole thing over especially ATL.

-mas23-
But before ATL, NO and MIA ran the south

Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,630 times
A new arguement has risen I see who ruled hip hop from 97-99 well heres a video that shows which songs were #1 on the hip hop charts from 97, 98, and 99.

YouTube - Hip-Hop Hits of 1997

YouTube - Hip-Hop Hits of 1998

YouTube - Hip-Hop Hits of 1999
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City