Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times

Advertisements

more chi ish

YouTube - DUDE GOT BARS LUNGZ

YouTube - Big Wiz - You Better Get Ready

YouTube - YP-"I HUSTLE"

Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Yeah thats him.

And here's Babs from Brooklyn, she was from Da Band too.

YouTube - Babs Bunny- CLAP LIKE THIS Freestyle
And babs. MAN!
IMO Her and ness were the best rappers in the group

Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 PM

976 posts, read 1,112,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
BTW that cory gunz freestyle was sick
it wasnt a true freestyle obviously, but still nice.

The one by "Ness" was really good, seemed more of the top of the head.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 PM

One of the best... from Philly, one of my favorites and not even mentioned yet...

YouTube - Black Thought freestyling with ?uestlove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBq3d...eature=related

Last edited by Trusses; 08-02-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 PM

oooohhhh man.... this is freaking siiick.............cant wait until UB4CL2 comes out in a few...

YouTube - RAEKWON feat. GHOSTFACE & METHOD MAN - NEW WU [OFFICIAL VIDEO]**

Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
And babs. MAN!
IMO Her and ness were the best rappers in the group
What??? But I thought the five best rappers of all time were Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan b/c he spit hot fire.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
You guys want lyricism? Here it is.

YouTube - Papoose-Alphabetical Slaughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the best underground rapper, From the gritty streets of Harlem New York............Immortal Technique.

YouTube - 11 - Immortal Technique - payback feat.diabolic and ras kass
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly how do you guys listen to this and then call that Southern "ring tone" music crap? Its all equally garbage to me. None of this is music. I guess its supposed to be "real hip hop," but if that's truly the case, then hip hop is not music.

I disagree with that assessment though. I think hip hop is more dynamic than that, and there are different types of hip hop. I'm not at all in favor of the current crap sandwich the industry is feeding us, but I can't stand listening to some dude reading a bunch of words out of a dictionary that don't even combine to make sense over a watered-down beat. That's just boring, and that track was like nails on a chalkboard to me. That Papoose track was whack IMO. And I only could stand to listen to the one Immortal Technique track I left above b/c that kind of "hip hop" has never been palatable to me.

I like lyrics, but in a song and not spit boringly over some annoying high pitch horns that don't even allow for me to connect with the lyrics. That is not music. That's just some bad form of poetry in my eyes that certain types like to latch on to and feel enlightened by. And then take an elitist attitude and talk down to whoever does it differently. I've been a fan of hip hop since "Walk This Way" and "Christmas in Hollis" were new songs. Hip hop then was music. This crap above I'm talking about now is not hip hop to me. I'd shut it off the stereo just as fast as I would that horrid mainstream crap that we're tortured with now.

Rakim was a lyricist that I could get with. Nas is a lyricist I could get with. Eminem was before too. Because they made MUSIC, not just wannabe enlightened, spoken word gibberish over excessive treble. "Real hip hop" to me can be more than just lyrics. It should include good lyrical content, but the whole package is what really matters IMO.

I'd take this stuff over those other tracks posted above any day:

YouTube - O.C. - Time Up

YouTube - Nine - Whutcha Want

YouTube - DMX-Intro

YouTube - Wu-tang Clan - Da Mystery of Chessboxin'

YouTube - Andre Nickatina Jungle

YouTube - Livin' Right - Bored Stiff

more to follow...

Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly how do you guys listen to this and then call that Southern "ring tone" music crap? Its all equally garbage to me. None of this is music. I guess its supposed to be "real hip hop," but if that's truly the case, then hip hop is not music.

I disagree with that assessment though. I think hip hop is more dynamic than that, and there are different types of hip hop. I'm not at all in favor of the current crap sandwich the industry is feeding us, but I can't stand listening to some dude reading a bunch of words out of a dictionary that don't even combine to make sense over a watered-down beat. That's just boring, and that track was like nails on a chalkboard to me. That Papoose track was whack IMO. And I only could stand to listen to the one Immortal Technique track I left above b/c that kind of "hip hop" has never been palatable to me.

I like lyrics, but in a song and not spit boringly over some annoying high pitch horns that don't even allow for me to connect with the lyrics. That is not music. That's just some bad form of poetry in my eyes that certain types like to latch on to and feel enlightened by. And then take an elitist attitude and talk down to whoever does it differently. I've been a fan of hip hop since "Walk This Way" and "Christmas in Hollis" were new songs. Hip hop then was music. This crap above I'm talking about now is not hip hop to me. I'd shut it off the stereo just as fast as I would that horrid mainstream crap that we're tortured with now.

Rakim was a lyricist that I could get with. Nas is a lyricist I could get with. Eminem was before too. Because they made MUSIC, not just wannabe enlightened, spoken word gibberish over excessive treble. "Real hip hop" to me can be more than just lyrics. It should include good lyrical content, but the whole package is what really matters IMO.

I'd take this stuff over those other tracks posted above any day:
Great point and an opinion I have always held myself. A lot of people hold lyrics up as the only criterion of good Hip-Hop and therefore the overall quality suffers due to a crappy beat with lyrics that are designed to come off as intelligent but instead seem incoherent, forced, and in some cases even corny. You have to have good balance. Outkast is one of the best examples of this. UGK as well.

I would rep you if I could.

Also I just noticed this but Memphis is totally absent from the poll. With Triple 6 Mafia, 8ball & MJG, and Gangsta Pat they certainly deserve mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City