Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Why do people always want to talk about how "bad" Atlanta artists are by comparing 90s mainstream or undergrounds rappers from their cities and then comparing it to SOME of the mid to late 2000s mainstream ATL artists??? Like Atlanta didnt have lyrically hot 90s or underground artists. For all the "pointless" ATL or southern singles that have hit the airwaves in the 2000s, there's always been some other "pointless" mainstream material from other cities as well. For all the halfway decent artists from other cities you've heard on the mainstream during the same years, there's always a couple half way decent ones from ATL as well.
I really don't understand that crap, why are people busy trying to count bad artists instead of good artists I would never know.

I'm a complete hiphop head and love R&B too. When I'm judging rappers I look at content, wordplay, delivery and can they make good song. Some rapper have great wordplay but can't make a good song. On the other end there's rappers who can make catchy song but the content just lack. So I have favorite rappers for different things. Hiphop is really broad with sub genes I wish it was marketed that why.

Hiphop culture have never never never been about one thing, I know I'm about to be attack by saying this but RunDMC content is not more lyrical than Gucci mane. This is by no means a dis at RunDMC there are legends but most rappers being criticize to day and are being call not true hiphop BS are no more or no lyrical then founders of hiphop itself. Then the content of hiphop is broad but there has been significant amount of rappers rapping about money and cars. Special ed I got it made is a classic. I just saying lets be real.

To me older Nas is the greatest lyrical rapper my opinion Two of my top now J Cole and Lupe both said Nas is among the most influential rappers to them. On the flipside I never want to hear Nas most lyrical songs in the club. And now it seem where at point where if a rapper has energy in the song it not hiphop according to the police.

Any ways it's call hattin. People have their opinions on things which is fair but alot of it is just hattin. Now I not saying he's high lyrical but young dro for an example is some what lyrical clearly. But of course he's from Atlanta. Most would say Faboulus is lyrical but he's no more or less lyrical than someone like Young Dro. But of course he's from the south so there's no metaphors and wordplay.

Quote:
Ima outer space balla, put you up on astronomy
Mathamatically with a _____ I do trigonometry
Humbly, eat up a _____ like a piranha B
Ridin in the Cutlass same color as a bumble bee
I had to, man I brought the flip flop jag through
Paint the Chevy sad blue, you know my devi sad blue
Ride straight pass you, my _____ will outlast you
I promise ima smash you, _____ 30-aught-sixes _____ you
600 see through benz call it the glass coup
Diamonds look like Passion Fruit, Viper look like Apple Food
Ride through the hood you know the Burban look like Snapple Juice
_____ from back facts, from Summa Hill Pappa 2
Rapper who, _____ you know I'm the Best Thang Smokin
Hit em in the _____ with the _____, and leave ya _____ smokin
Dro Rollin, _____ I got a million for yo million
We up in these hoods _____, buildin after buildin
The South and west coast ruin hiphop! ) ......

Also all this is opinion folks.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,137,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
La has fallen all the way off since the nineties with hip hop. How can anyone say its a close second.

As far as randb, nyc has a pretty good standing. Alicia Keys,Mariah Carey,Mary J Blige, The late Aaliyah. Pretty hard to beat. I know im forgetting someone?
Aaliyah grew up in Detroit.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,137,546 times
I do think Atlanta wins on this.

Atlanta artists make some serious baby-making music. I can't see how anyone can argue with that.

The group 112 is top on the list.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,770,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
What rappers are from the bay area? Or r&b singers?

If you're taking about E-40 then you're absolutely correct in saying its about "preference" on what Hip-Hop is or what's enjoyable

Same with Houston and I know a lot of people really don't include "good rappers" and "The south" in the same sentence. I do enjoy UGK and Beyonce (although not really my thing) is from Houston right?

Hundreds upon hundreds of rappers are from the Bay Area that cover anything in Hip Hop you can think of (gangsta, conscious, alternative, etc).

As far as Houston goes, they have many dope rappers... Z-Ro, Scarface, Killa Kyleon, Big Moe (RIP), Trae The Truth, etc.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,404,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I do think Atlanta wins on this.

Atlanta artists make some serious baby-making music. I can't see how anyone can argue with that.

The group 112 is top on the list.
Yeah, they totally slipped my mind. Ironic considering the amount of time I've spent at their club back in the day. It was always wall to wall in that place with a long line wrapped around the corner. Jagged Edge was another successful local act from around that same time frame.

Anywho, this new local group Hamilton Park is about the closest replica of a Jagged Edge/112 type of group that I've seen in recent years.

Hamilton Park - Thing Called Us [Music Video] - YouTube

Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 AM

958 posts, read 1,199,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
No one killed hip hop. It never died, and the only people who claim it did die are the type of whiny lame-asses who only think 90s NYC/northeast rap counts as "real hip hop".

LOL oh i see, you're one of "them". Meaning, one of those people who thinks that they are the same as New York just because they live with a 500 mile radius of it. Newsflash: hip hop started in NYC. NYC only. After that, every city has equal "claim" to it (whatever that means).
Not really.

The East Coast called out the West Coast and the West Coast pretty much proved them right by making even more thug music.

Every city does not have equal claim to it. Philly is old-school and was around a long time, respecting the authorities in New York while doing their own thing.

The South and West show no respect and act like it's just theirs to do, like they have nobody to answer to.

It's not a matter of opinion. Hip hop started in New York. They're the authorities, not whoever wants to think they know better than them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
List of the biggest selling R&B/Hip Hop albums of all time in the United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'I'M TERRIBLY SORRY, BUT HOW MANY OF THESE ARTISTS ARE FROM NYC?" NOT THE NORTHEAST, NOT WESTCHESTER, BUT FROM NYC (ONE OF THE 5 BOROUGHS)?"

* Your response is being monitored. This is an attempt to collect a debt!
And none of that has a damn thing to do with who produces the best hip hop or R&B artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Read back over the bolded statement, then tell me that you don't see the embedded contradiction. How does one implement the killing of hip-hop without initially assuming possession in the first place? That's like suing someone for totaling a car that's no longer in your name, then falsifying proof of ownership for monetary purposes.

Then by which barometer would you suggest notoriety and popularity is to be measured since quantifiable evidence is of little to no significance?

You'd probably want to take that up with the RIAA, Grammy Association or Billboard.com. Philadelphia IMO, has made a tremendous historical impact on the music industry and still holds its own in this regard, but I'm interested to hear your Philly > Atlanta for present day Hip-Hop/R&B relevance argument. I'm all ears.
You continue to make my argument for me with every post.

No billboard.com, the RIAA, or even the Grammys do not have anything to do with judging what real hip hop or R&B is.

It's not just music. If you go against everything it's about, go against the purpose it's supposed to serve and sell out your own people and your own culture to a bunch of suburban kids then how on Earth can you say you represent hip hop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Got it... The BEST?
Meaning, Quality over Quantity? So 5 GREAT artists trumps 3 great and 30 terrible...? Then I'd have to say...

After thinking THAT way, I'd have to vote for Philly first. I feel like Philly rarely drops garbage artists. So their quality ratio would have to be highest.

1. Philadelphia - maybe not as many artists as NYC, but they rarely drop garbage.
2. New York City - high output, lots of quality. Also put out a lot of garbage, but so much more quality than garbage.
3. Chicago - Close behind NYC. Not by quantity, but by quality.
4. Los Angeles - high output, but also a LOT of garbage. Yet they tend to be such trend setters some things that start off as garbage, catch on later.
5. Houston - Doing pretty well with quality vs quantity

hard to say after that.

6. (I LOVE MY HOMETOWN) Atlanta - BUT ATL puts out a LOT of garbage. But I think it's doing better than a lot of other cities, like
7. New Orleans - If it weren't for Master P just trying to put on EVERYBODY in the hood, they would've been alright. But a LOT of No Limit was trash
8. Miami - Eh...
9. Bay Area - Just an acquired taste... Usually only acquired in No. Cali...
10. Oops, I guess Detroit deserves to be somewhere higher, huh?
This is much, much more representative of how cities should be ranked when it comes to this category.

It's not about record sales or youtube views or any of that BS. It's about what you put out there.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
Today I'd give it to Atlanta but Philadelphia wins for R&B historically and for neo-soul. New York wins historically for Hip-Hop obviously.
And for people claiming TLC for Atlanta don't forget that Left Eye was born and raised in North Philadelphia.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM

422 posts, read 816,667 times
You left out the best of Houston rappers - UGK and probably the most influential, DJ Screw.

However, much to your dismay, these artists (except Scarface) were glorified regionally. In order to honestly assess this topic, we must look to facts. Who sold the most records is the primary indicator. And when it comes down to that, the artists hail from NY, LA and Atl.

But, Eminem by himself has made Detroit relevant for discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Hundreds upon hundreds of rappers are from the Bay Area that cover anything in Hip Hop you can think of (gangsta, conscious, alternative, etc).

As far as Houston goes, they have many dope rappers... Z-Ro, Scarface, Killa Kyleon, Big Moe (RIP), Trae The Truth, etc.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM

857 posts, read 1,367,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

Ohhh ok.. Hundreds upon hundreds..

And I ****ing love scarface.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM

422 posts, read 816,667 times
Philadelphia and Boston (and the northeast of the country kickstarted patriotism). Does that mean nobody else is more patriotic because they didn't start it.

See, the challenge with this is yes, it's opinionated. Everyone (especially New Yorkers feel like they are the best at everything). When guess what, not true. And that's definitely absent of the team mentality that made this country great. And no, I'm not a jealous outsider. 66th and Broadway; 29th and 8th; and 112th and 2nd. But to say that because Atlanta or LA didn't originate or in your opinion put out quality music desecrates the facts that our great nation purchases their music at a higher rate than almighty NY music. For once, let's let bygones be and answer a question objectively.

They have a fabulous documentary on Starz right now called the Brooklyn Boheme which is about the fall of creative artists in Brooklyn.
hosted by Nelson George, starring Chris Rock, Spike Lee and Rosie Perez.

Life is monitored by quantifiable information. If you work in sales, what are your numbers. If you work in sports, what are your stats. If you are a student, what are your grades. And if you are making music (good or bad which is subjective), how many people are buying your record.

Here's a cool thought, NYC metro - 22M+ should easily sell more records regionally than every other MSA if the music was that respected. Eminem crushed the game nationally like no other artists has in terms of public 'buy-in".

And just to be frank, my favorite (note my favorite) hip hop MC's:

Pac
Jay
Biggie
Nas
Jada
Ross
AZ
UGK
Eminem
TI

Honorable Mention - Outkast, Kanye, Scarface, Eight ball and Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Not really.

The East Coast called out the West Coast and the West Coast pretty much proved them right by making even more thug music.

Every city does not have equal claim to it. Philly is old-school and was around a long time, respecting the authorities in New York while doing their own thing.

The South and West show no respect and act like it's just theirs to do, like they have nobody to answer to.

It's not a matter of opinion. Hip hop started in New York. They're the authorities, not whoever wants to think they know better than them.

And none of that has a damn thing to do with who produces the best hip hop or R&B artists.

You continue to make my argument for me with every post.

No billboard.com, the RIAA, or even the Grammys do not have anything to do with judging what real hip hop or R&B is.

It's not just music. If you go against everything it's about, go against the purpose it's supposed to serve and sell out your own people and your own culture to a bunch of suburban kids then how on Earth can you say you represent hip hop?

This is much, much more representative of how cities should be ranked when it comes to this category.

It's not about record sales or youtube views or any of that BS. It's about what you put out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City