Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This thread is ridiculous. There's no reason why Atlanta should be leading Detroit, Chicago or Philadelphia. Can you really say that Atlanta has produced anything on par with Earth Wind & Fire, Curtis Mayfield, Donny Hathaway, the Delfonics, Kenny Gamble, Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Martha and the Vandellas, etc. I just hope my father never sees this thread. He would have a heartattack. And once he got better, he would track each and every one of you down individually and lecture you about how the 70s produced the greatest era of music known to man.
Well actually Otis Redding, Gladys Knight & the Pips are from the Atllanta area. But as someone pointed out most people are thinking post 80s hiphop and R&B.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,740,320 times
Quote:
This thread is ridiculous. There's no reason why Atlanta should be leading Detroit, Chicago or Philadelphia. Can you really say that Atlanta has produced anything on par with Earth Wind & Fire, Curtis Mayfield, Donny Hathaway, the Delfonics, Kenny Gamble, Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Martha and the Vandellas, etc. I just hope my father never sees this thread. He would have a heartattack. And once he got better, he would track each and every one of you down individually and lecture you about how the 70s produced the greatest era of music known to man.
Atlanta stands no chance in R&B against Motown... However, that's not ALL that this thread is considering. It goes beyond that.

Also, EWF and Curtis Mayfield are from Chicago buddy, not Motor City.

Also, (NOT saying Atlanta is better) Atlanta does deserve some recognition because I know a lot like to act like and think Atlanta is so new to the scene, but Atlanta has been around for a very long time. Ray Charles, Brick & like another poster has stated Gladys Knight, & Otis Redding. The main reason Atlanta has to get some sort of recognition is that it has shot out there in the world of Hip Hop and Detroit has in it's post Motown years had some times where it's seriously slipped under the radar and underacheived.
The thread asks "who has the best RAP artists/R&B singers?" Gotta take it ALL into consideration...
If you ask me, unfortunately Atlanta has put out a lot more garbage artists than quality artists, but Atlanta does have enough quality artists to deserve some serious recognition by now. Whether that recognition should be higher than Motown is subject to opinion.

Both Atlanta and Detroit deserve a shot in an at least 10 or maybe even top 5 list. But being that it ask "the BEST" it's definitely all based on opinion and tastes.

Gotta say that I'm very surprised that if we're talking "BEST" meaning QUALITY over quantity, that Atlanta has the 2nd most votes... I'm from Atlanta and I don't even put it in the #2 spot.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:02 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Also, EWF and Curtis Mayfield are from Chicago buddy, not Motor City.
I said that Atlanta has nobody on par with various artists from Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia, so I listed artists from all three cities.

Quote:
Also, (NOT saying Atlanta is better) Atlanta does deserve some recognition because I know a lot like to act like and think Atlanta is so new to the scene, but Atlanta has been around for a very long time.
Nobody's saying Atlanta deserves no recognition at all. It just doesn't deserve to be above Detroit, Chicago or Philadelphia. This is not debatable. Anybody who thinks Atlanta's total music legacy compares to what Chicago, Detroit or Philadelphia produced only during the 1970s is out to lunch.

Quote:
The main reason Atlanta has to get some sort of recognition is that it has shot out there in the world of Hip Hop and Detroit has in it's post Motown years had some times where it's seriously slipped under the radar and underacheived.
One Marvin Gaye album trumps the musicianship of all rap ever made. Ever.

Quote:
Ray Charles, Brick & like another poster has stated Gladys Knight, & Otis Redding.
Ray Charles and Otis Redding were not from Atlanta.

Quote:
Whether that recognition should be higher than Motown is subject to opinion.
You could ask Andre Benjamin or Gladys Knight if the Atlanta music scene has made more of an impact than Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and the Temptations and they would undoubtedly laugh at the question.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Quote:
If were talking about which city as the best r&b singers of ALL TIME I'd say
1. Philadelphia
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. atlanta
5 memphis

IMO Atlants is responsible for producing a large number of down right appaling music and one hit wonders, but in current times Atlanta has produced the most r&b singers so they deserve some recognition

Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
in current times Atlanta has produced the most r&b singers so they deserve some recognition
Who? SWV? TLC? Kandi? India Arie? Jagged Edge? 112?

That's so far beneath the O'Jays, the Delfonics, the Blue Notes, the Spinners, and the Stylistics that it's not even funny. Those groups don't even compare to Jaguar Wright, Kindred the Family Soul, Vivian Green, Bilal, the Jazzyfatnastees, Jill Scott, Musiq, etc.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Who? SWV? TLC? Kandi? India Arie? Jagged Edge? 112?

That's so far beneath the O'Jays, the Delfonics, the Blue Notes, the Spinners, and the Stylistics that it's not even funny. Those groups don't even compare to Jaguar Wright, Kindred the Family Soul, Vivian Green, Bilal, the Jazzyfatnastees, Jill Scott, Musiq, etc.
Opinion based... Though I agree, opinion based...

And Jill Scott and Musiq are Philadelphia. Don't take that from them

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Opinion based... Though I agree, opinion based...
Fact.

Quote:
And Jill Scott and Musiq are Philadelphia. Don't take that from them
Huh? I was born and raised in Philadelphia.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,960 times
Love Chali 2na out of Chicago. Best Hip Hop City? Hands down St. Louis. I don't know if you've ever heard of him, but umm.......Nelly! Have you seen that guy on the softball field? Game. Set. Match.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Fact.

Huh? I was born and raised in Philadelphia.

LOL @ "Fact." Okay... If you say so...

And what I mean about Philly, I'm saying Jill Scott & Musiq are from Philly not Detroit. Don't take them away from Philly's credit.

To everybody else, come on people!!! Get some more votes for Philly!!! Really!!! The question is "the BEST"
Who coming out of Philadelphia has sucked?
Not many if any!!!

But most other places that have put out a lot of acts I bet I can name a LOT off the top of my head that suck!!!

Philly is home of Neo-Soul!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Whether Al Green is better than Jagged Edge is not a matter of opinion. We may never see this type of soul again in our lifetime.
C'mon ya'll!!!!
Don't get the thread closed down by continuing to post videos!!! Atlantagreg has already posted a warning.

Also, still an opinion... That's like assuming that NOBODY has every not liked Al Green... I'm sure I know somebody that doesn't like Al Green. Ofcourse MY opinion would be that their taste sucks, BUT it's an opinion... Not a "fact."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City