Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM

958 posts, read 1,199,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
You're a little angry. Consider our conversation muted. No harm;no foul.
I'm not angry. You're just wrong and can't handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Lol at some of the comments in this thread talking about "the west coast killed hip hop because they glorified the streets" as if the streets never had anything to do with Hip Hop. Newsflash: Hip Hop IS the streets. Who the hell do you think Afrika Bambaataa and the Zulu Nation are? He was the leader of one of the most ruthless street gangs that ever graced NYC (Black Spades). Why do you clowns think that "crews" (read: gangs) were so prevalent in 80's east coast Hip Hop? They were thugging just as much as the West was... you don't know anything about east coast Hip Hop if you say otherwise. Being "conscious" wasn't even a concern in Hip Hop until the late 80's/early 90's... the movement didn't start that way at all. Arguably the first gangsta rapper ever was Schoolly D from (you guessed it) Philadelphia.

ROFL at talking down to us west coasters when some of y'all clearly know nothing about your own backyard.
If you've got something to say then address me by name like a man.

The West Coast did kill hip hop and it's got nothing to do with the streets. It's because they glorified the thug life and showed no respect to the people who are actually the authorities. Don't try to twist things around. There are a handful of conscious rappers from the West Coast in its entire history and that's it.

Newsflash: Stop trying to educate people who know more than you. Clowns? You don't know me, buddy. I'm not some sheltered little suburbanite so don't ever talk to me like I am one.

Actually, I clearly know more about East Coast hip hop than you do. The fact that you feel such a need to put down the East Coast shows how insecure you really are about the West Coast and hip hop.

Actually, that's wrong.

And again, please stop telling me things I already know.

ROFL at you needing to twist things and talk ish because you can't accept the truth.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,770,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
If you've got something to say then address me by name like a man.
You ain't the only one on this thread who's said that on this thread, you're just the latest.

Quote:
The West Coast did kill hip hop and it's got nothing to do with the streets. It's because they glorified the thug life and showed no respect to the people who are actually the authorities. Don't try to twist things around. There are a handful of conscious rappers from the West Coast in its entire history and that's it.
Let's read that back again.

Quote:
It's because they glorified the thug life
And Schoolly D & Kool G Rap didn't? They're considered the pioneers of gangsta rap along with Ice T. What do you call the mafioso theme that dominated east coast rap in the mid 90's, conscious? Your denial of the east coast being just as gangsta as the west coast is a joke and one that can be easily disproved at that.

Quote:
Newsflash: Stop trying to educate people who know more than you. Clowns? You don't know me, buddy. I'm not some sheltered little suburbanite so don't ever talk to me like I am one.
Actually I just thought you were another e-thug, which seems about right.

Quote:
Actually, I clearly know more about East Coast hip hop than you do. The fact that you feel such a need to put down the East Coast shows how insecure you really are about the West Coast and hip hop.
Point out where I put down the east coast or admit you made that up. Oh, and frankly you don't know more about east coast hip hop than I do when you're parroting a rosy view of east coast hip hop that's most popular in the suburbs. You sure you didn't grow up in them?

Quote:
And again, please stop telling me things I already know.
Apparently you don't as you continually deny it.

Quote:
ROFL at you needing to twist things and talk ish because you can't accept the truth.
The truth is that the west coast did not bring anything new to the table that wasn't already present in hip hop as far as rapping about gangsta **** goes.

You're such a textbook definition of a Source-wielding backpacker that it's almost funny. Almost.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM

422 posts, read 816,667 times
Whether everyone in this thread agrees with everything that you feel toward the thread is debatable. And, rightfully so. Guess what! It's an opinion. On the flip side, I believe we all respect the way that you just responded. You're a better man than me. I opted for the silence treatment. Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You ain't the only one on this thread who's said that on this thread, you're just the latest.

Let's read that back again.

And Schoolly D & Kool G Rap didn't? They're considered the pioneers of gangsta rap along with Ice T. What do you call the mafioso theme that dominated east coast rap in the mid 90's, conscious? Your denial of the east coast being just as gangsta as the west coast is a joke and one that can be easily disproved at that.

Actually I just thought you were another e-thug, which seems about right.

Point out where I put down the east coast or admit you made that up. Oh, and frankly you don't know more about east coast hip hop than I do when you're parroting a rosy view of east coast hip hop that's most popular in the suburbs. You sure you didn't grow up in them?

Apparently you don't as you continually deny it.

The truth is that the west coast did not bring anything new to the table that wasn't already present in hip hop as far as rapping about gangsta **** goes.

You're such a textbook definition of a Source-wielding backpacker that it's almost funny. Almost.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,242,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post

Also.. wow, not a single old-school rapper and a whole lot of crap. Why am I not surprised.
You say this about his list, and at the same time you pretend like you're some kind of hip-hop expert?

Do you even know what the "golden era" was in the 90s? Most of the rappers he listed were heavy hitters from that time, with some remaining big even today. Or do you just not consider the 90s as part of "old school rap"?

If that's the case. why don't you go listen to some Sugar Hill Gang and Fat Boys with a side of KRS One. Nothing past 1984 allowed, ever, that's the only way to be a "real" hip hop fan (sarcasm alert). I think 90% of rap fans would shoot themselves in the face if they had to do that, even most of them who actually love lots of 80s old school stuff (such as myself). Point being, old school 80s rap is not the only meaningful/good/real rap, like you seem to be implying. Not even close.

But regardless, you just talked bad about a list with Biggie, Tupac, AZ, Nas, Jay-Z, UGK, Eminem, Outkast, Eightball, Styles P, Jadakiss, Scarface, TI and Kanye on it. There is only one rapper on there that could objectively be considered "crap" by many rap fans, in my opinion (rick ross)...and even he isn't that bad considering some of the true crap that's out there. But that list could also have Chingy, Vanilla Ice and Souljah Boy on it, and it would still be pretty legit, just based on all the good stuff listed too. Your hip-hop membership card has hereby been revoked.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,902,064 times
__________________________________________________ ____________________

The warnings have been ignored about posting direct embeds on youtube videos. And since every time variations of this theme come up this same issue happens, the topic is now off limits for a while.

Sound of doors closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City