Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 10:00 AM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Bismarck, ND
State capital set on the Plains. It's on a river (Missouri River, I believe?) I imagine it's seen some growth in the past decade thanks to ND's oil boom.

Vidalia, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 11:02 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
State capital set on the Plains. It's on a river (Missouri River, I believe?) I imagine it's seen some growth in the past decade thanks to ND's oil boom.

Vidalia, GA
Probably the only place in the United States whose chief foodstuff would qualify for PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status were it located in Europe. We Americans play much more fast and loose with place names as signifiers for foods than Europeans do, as anyone who has picked up a package of, say, "West Virginia Brand" bacon and read the label that bears "Made in <mumble>, SC" beneath the brand name, purchased domestic Parmesan cheese or bought a bottle of "champagne" from New York State should be able to attest.

But you won't find sweet onions called "Vidalia" originating from anywhere other than the handful of counties surrounding this Georgia town. These onions aren't for cooking - you eat them raw; they're great in salads and sandwiches because of their sweetness. I know of some people who eat them like fruit.

State College, Pa.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:21 AM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Probably the only place in the United States whose chief foodstuff would qualify for PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status were it located in Europe. We Americans play much more fast and loose with place names as signifiers for foods than Europeans do, as anyone who has picked up a package of, say, "West Virginia Brand" bacon and read the label that bears "Made in <mumble>, SC" beneath the brand name, purchased domestic Parmesan cheese or bought a bottle of "champagne" from New York State should be able to attest.

But you won't find sweet onions called "Vidalia" originating from anywhere other than the handful of counties surrounding this Georgia town. These onions aren't for cooking - you eat them raw; they're great in salads and sandwiches because of their sweetness. I know of some people who eat them like fruit.

State College, Pa.
Reminds me of Cookeville. There are neat museums there including the discovery exhibits for children. Great university despite the unmentionables that occurred years ago.

Laurel, MS.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 AM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Laurel, MS.
Small town in southern Mississippi with historic charm that I believe has experienced significant gentrification recently.

Apalachicola, FL

Old 07-13-2020, 07:38 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,533,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Small town in southern Mississippi with historic charm that I believe has experienced significant gentrification recently.

Apalachicola, FL
On the Gulf Coast of Florida's panhandle. National forest nearby. Name sounds like a cross between Appalachian and Pensacola, lol.

Blowing Rock, NC

Old 04-18-2021, 05:15 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the "Quad Cities" straddling the Mississippi; the other three are in Illinois. Prizes its park-like Mississippi riverfront so much the city refuses to build levees along it.

Jersey Shore, Pa.
It's actually both Davenport and Bettendorf, which are in Iowa. The other 2 in Illinois of the Quad Cities are Moline, and Rock Island.

Randomly found this thread looking through older city vs. city threads, so I guess I'll revive this thread.

Never been to Blowing Rock. But from googling it, it seems like it'd be a nice small and quaint town in western North Carolina.

Fayetteville, AR

Old 04-18-2021, 06:15 PM

679 posts, read 497,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
It's actually both Davenport and Bettendorf, which are in Iowa. The other 2 in Illinois of the Quad Cities are Moline, and Rock Island.

Randomly found this thread looking through older city vs. city threads, so I guess I'll revive this thread.

Never been to Blowing Rock. But from googling it, it seems like it'd be a nice small and quaint town in western North Carolina.

Fayetteville, AR

Home to a bunch of wild pigs.. probably an exciting place to be on a Saturday in the fall when there is a home football game. Probably a nice place to spend 4 years in college.... Hills are close by. Kinda remote.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Old 04-18-2021, 06:47 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
Home to a bunch of wild pigs.. probably an exciting place to be on a Saturday in the fall when there is a home football game. Probably a nice place to spend 4 years in college.... Hills are close by. Kinda remote.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Very extensive and suburban. Decent and underrated downtown though. Great signature dish (Cincinnati chilli )

Paris, Texas

Old 04-18-2021, 09:14 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Very extensive and suburban. Decent and underrated downtown though. Great signature dish (Cincinnati chilli )

Paris, Texas
A smaller regional city in northeast Texas, but don't know anything else besides that. I know per internet pics there is a miniature replica of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, TX, but don't know about anything in Paris beyond that.

Omaha, NE

Old 04-18-2021, 09:34 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
A smaller regional city in northeast Texas, but don't know anything else besides that. I know per internet pics there is a miniature replica of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, TX, but don't know about anything in Paris beyond that.

Omaha, NE
Nice, wholesome Midwestern city. Site of a neat pedestrian bridge crossing the river into Iowa. Their airport is called Eppley Airfield (instead of "International Airport").

Valdosta, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City