Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 01:27 PM

899 posts, read 520,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Small hick town in the Panhandle not far from GA, probably founded by relatives of Jeffersonian planters. Long, hot, humid summers, but close enough to commute to Tallahassee if you're working for the state government.

Now speaking of communities close to actual Presidential residences:

Bethesda, MD
Very wealthy city not too far from Downtown Washington. Bethesda is well acclaimed.

Spring Hill, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 03:25 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Very wealthy city not too far from Downtown Washington. Bethesda is well acclaimed.

Spring Hill, Florida
Looks like it is a suburb, a little bit north of Tampa. And Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, looks like it'd be nice to visit. Per the pics I googled of it.

Next: Brunswick, GA (bonus points if you know the food dish that originated here, and served in a lot of southeast Georgia restaurants)

Old 05-16-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Looks like it is a suburb, a little bit north of Tampa. And Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, looks like it'd be nice to visit. Per the pics I googled of it.

Next: Brunswick, GA (bonus points if you know the food dish that originated here, and served in a lot of southeast Georgia restaurants)
It's a big no-no town, but I'd like to try that Brunswick stew. I wish it were more like Savannah.

Dalton, Georgia

Old 05-16-2021, 07:58 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
Dalton, Georgia
Carpet and flooring materials. Dalton is a center for manufacturing in the flooring industry - or at least it has been. Not sure if a lot of that has been outsourced over the past few decades.

Columbus, Georgia

Old 05-17-2021, 12:07 AM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Carpet and flooring materials. Dalton is a center for manufacturing in the flooring industry - or at least it has been. Not sure if a lot of that has been outsourced over the past few decades.

Columbus, Georgia
I know it's a military town, as Fort Benning is nearby. Years ago and a little north of Ft. Benning and Columbus, I once visited Callaway Gardens and also FDR's 'Little White House'. Both were interesting places, to visit. As for Columbus, I didn't stop there long enough to get a feel for that city, and we drove through there en route to Saint George Island, FL. Maybe someday, I'll get an actual visit in this city, or at least at minimum google street view Columbus more closely.

Sitka, Alaska

Old 05-17-2021, 01:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
There's a guy on FB from Sitka who I have some mutual friends with and interacted with in groups a few times. I've never liked him, he just has this smug attitude that he's so much more insightful about human nature and has so much more life experience than everyone else. I know nothing about Sitka itself other than that it's the biggest city in the US by land area.

Kingston, NY

Old 05-17-2021, 04:45 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,871,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
There's a guy on FB from Sitka who I have some mutual friends with and interacted with in groups a few times. I've never liked him, he just has this smug attitude that he's so much more insightful about human nature and has so much more life experience than everyone else. I know nothing about Sitka itself other than that it's the biggest city in the US by land area.

Kingston, NY
Small, middle-of-the-road city in the Hudson Valley. Doesn't have the bad regional reputation of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie, but it also isn't mentioned as a desirable day-trip destination here in NYC. My closest connection to it is that I used to work with a girl from nearby Rhineback.

Topeka, KS

Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Topeka, KS
It's quite dangerous, but let's see what happens because it's a state capital...

Joplin, Missouri

Old 05-17-2021, 06:06 PM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
It's quite dangerous, but let's see what happens because it's a state capital...

Joplin, Missouri
Seems to have fully recovered from the tornado that ripped it to shreds in 1993 or thereabouts. A pleasant enough small city. A second cousin of mine lives there.

Surprised you brought up neither Brown v. Board of Education nor Rev. Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church regarding Topeka.

Edwardsville, Ill.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
St. Louis suburb and location of the newest SIU campus. I'll be near there soon, flying into STL to spend a week exploring my home state.

Hickory, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City