Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Extensive coverage all through out the city+reasonable reliability+ 24/7-365= best system in the world. Those are the only factors someone should be concerned with. When im out 4 in the morning most likely im coming from work, not drunk, so are thousands of other new yorkers who rely on the system.

And on a side note. Oy dont you live in washington heights? If your going to a club it will most likely be somewhere in the forties and under, i would say most likely in the twenties. That is deep from washington heights why would u want to take a cab. U brought up one of the best single scenarios in which using the train is the best. I should know i was blasted one time, had two long island ice teas at this spot in the twenties forgot the actual street. And the bartender laced them, im thinking thank god for the train cuz i be damned going back to the house any way else
I made a pretty good list of areas where the MTA hasn't done nearly as well compared to other places. Extensive coverage throughout a city is a given, and almost any system worth its salt has that (for a lot of these, system might be smallar, but the city might be, too--the important thing is that it hits where most people need to go).

The 24 hours a day thing is good, I definitely agree on that. However, it seems to have come at a price (more maintenance where the trains just stop, lower reliability, dirtier stations and trains, less funds to spend on capital projects since operational costs are greater, etc.) and service does get extremely slow in the wee hours. I do use the trains really late at night sometimes, but it's also when I take a cab the most often--especially if I have to make transfer to get to my stop. It's pricey, but late night is also when you'll have to wait longest for trains and when taxis have the least amount of traffic to contend with, so I often find it worthwhile especially if I'm splitting it with someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
You wouldn't have wasted your time to begin with had you looked at K.O.N.Y's previous posting history.
Wow u know my posting history? lol Good to know i have fans in good ole nebraska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City