Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
Nashville, Tennessee 142 56.80%
Columbus, Ohio 108 43.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,846,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
It may be something to "tout", depending on whom u ask, but having "celebrities" inhabiting a city doesn't necessarily mean anything particularly special ... Country music is the catalyst behind these "luminaries" calling Nashville home, but "they're just people like the rest of us"
Eric Clapton and Jack Hanna call Columbus home, but rarely does anybody mention it ... or care for that matter.
Sure it does, it means the city attracts a very unique population. Aside from the "celebrities" we have all of the "behind the scenes" people like instrumentalists, writers, editors, etc. I would take a look at this chart to see just how important music is to Nashville...and not just country music. It completely dwarfs any other city in North America.

Creative Class » Blog Archive » Music Cities of North America - Creative Class
Creative Class » Blog Archive » The Nashville Effect - Creative Class

IMO, having such a large concentration of musicians and other creative types is what gives Nashville a unique flavor and makes it stand out from other cities like Columbus. People take vacations to Nashville for the history, the music, and to try and see celebrities, lol. I've never heard anyone say they are taking a vacation in Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,257,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I've never heard anyone say they are taking a vacation in Columbus.

They're are plenty of people that travel to Columbus for vacations ...
You may be surprised to learn that tourism injects over a billion dollars
into the local / regional economy.
Columbus, being a capital city, offers a multitude of various attractions
outside of just another "statehouse tour".
Columbus has the #1 rated ZOO in America ( and one of the largest ), were you aware of that?
Additionally, the following attractions and distinctive areas draw many tourists to the city ...

COSI - Center of Science & Industry
German Village
Arena District
Short North Arts District
Ohio History Center / Village

Now, having said this, I am not perpetuating that Columbus attracts
as many visitors as Nashville, as that likely isn't factual. However,
Columbus deserves far more credit than it ever receives.
Tourism is also "alive and well" in Columbus though ...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post

And quality of life is the other reason, including the beauty of the terrain. Its kind of like you guys don't get it.
The "quality of life" is excellent in Columbus, it's one of the reasons
that this city is consistently ranked high in many "best cities lists" ...
As for the beauty and terrain, Columbus sits amongst the rolling plains
and the Appalachian foothills of south central Ohio, an area that is remarkably quite similar to that of Nashville.
Columbus also boasts some unique "inner city beauty" with heavily forested, deep, gorges and ravines ... something that one doesn't see
in Nashville.

Check out these scenic areas of Columbus here:

http://wiki.olentangywatershed.org/w...en-echo-ravine
http://wiki.olentangywatershed.org/w...ds/iuka-ravine
http://www.universitydistrict.org/iukaravine.php (broken link)
http://www.universitydistrict.org/glenecho.php (broken link)
http://columbus-ite.com/?s=iuka
http://columbus-ite.com/columbus-neighborhoods/clintonville-2/south-clintonville/walhalla-ravine/ (broken link)
http://columbus-ite.com/columbus-neighborhoods/clintonville-2/north-clintonville/adena-brook-ravine/ (broken link)
http://columbus-ite.com/columbus-neighborhoods/old-north-columbus/glen-echo-south/ (broken link)

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 08-18-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Columbus seems to be a great city but Nashville does seem to be besting it in both tourism and in population growth. Nashville also rates highly on many "Best of" lists. I think Columbus is a nice place and it's very unique in that it is growing at a healthy pace in an area of the country known for declining rates. However, I would still go with Nashville...and it looks like more people agree that Nashville is a more attractive place to live and visit.

Google Search
"Vacation to Nashville" - 6,780 results
"Vacation to Columbus" - 2,370 results (and a couple on the first page were Columbus, GA)

"Nashville Vacation" - 23,700 results
"Columbus Vacation" - 4,440 results

Nashville Int'l Airport also receives over 1 million more visitors annually than Columbus (final destination only, no transfers) And this is in spite of Columbus being a larger city.

Nashville's MSA is growing at almost double the rate of Columbus (20% V 11%)

The city-data forum for Nashville has almost 4x as many posts as the Columbus forum and this website is primarily used to help people relocate.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM

66 posts, read 185,120 times
I don't think anyone would argue against Nashville's music or tourism industry.... But is that what this forum is about? For some people- maybe... for other people- no.
I look at this through the lens of urbanism, culture, and quality of life.... that's why Columbus is my clear pick.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10dk View Post
I don't think anyone would argue against Nashville's music or tourism industry.... But is that what this forum is about? For some people- maybe... for other people- no.
I look at this through the lens of urbanism, culture, and quality of life.... that's why Columbus is my clear pick.
And those are also the reasons that I pick Nashville and it seems that more people on this forum have as well.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10dk View Post
I like Columbus, but why anyone would think that it has a clear advantage over Nashville in these categories is beyond me.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Comparisons: Columbus & Nashville

Check out these comparitive statistics for Columbus & Nashville ...

Economy, unemployment & future job growth stats:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Columbus has a lower unemployment rate than Nashville -

Columbus at 8.50
Nashville at 8.90

Projected future job growth -

This data shows that Nashville has a recent growth rate of -6.04% vs. a recent growth rate of -4.56% for Columbus. ( Higher percentage rate is not positive in relation to "recent job growth only" according to this data ) This clearly shows that there is "less" recent job growth in Nashville. Furthermore, projected "future job growth statistics" indicate a slight, but significant advantage for Columbus.

Projected Future Job Growth:

Columbus at +22.38%
Nashville at +19.02%

Cost of living:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Columbus achieves a better ranking in the cost of living index. Additionally ... overall, in a breakdown of cost segments, Columbus achieves a slightly better ranking than Nashville.

Cost of living Index:

U.S. at 100%
Columbus at 85%
Nashville at 90% ( higher costs )

Crime Statistics:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

This data indicates that one is more predisposed to violent crime in Nashville. Property crime is slightly higher in Columbus.

Violent Crime:

Columbus - ranking of 7
Nashville - ranking of 9

Property Crime:

Columbus - ranking of 8
Nashville - ranking of 7

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2010 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 PM

All those stats you listed actually make the cities seem pretty close and still doesn't change the fact that Nashville's growth rate is almost double that of Columbus and that many more people visit Nashville.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,635,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
All those stats you listed actually make the cities seem pretty close and still doesn't change the fact that Nashville's growth rate is almost double that of Columbus and that many more people visit Nashville.
A lot of Nashville recently consolidated parts of the county.

BTW, where are you getting stats on how many people visit each city? I'd assume Nashville gets more visitors since Columbus isn't really known for that. I've been to both cities and hands down, I would chose Columbus over Nashville. I'm a young professional in my mid 20s, and Columbus has a much more vibrant bar / club / social scene.

In terms of Crime, Nashville is definitely more violent.

I'm really pretty surprised by the results in here. I like Nashville, but I would never live there. I actually don't even recall talking about Nashville in Washington DC or here in Cleveland, it's like the forgotten city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City