Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
Nashville, Tennessee 142 56.80%
Columbus, Ohio 108 43.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 PM

160 posts, read 499,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I mean really, does anyone that has gotten past the eighth grade buy into that? I have seen so many posts that try to assert that Southern friendliness is 'fake', and I laugh at every one of them.
The south is friendlier overall in my opinon. That being said you can find nice people and d-bags in everygroup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Which city would you rather live in?? Which city has the better downtown, nightlife, restaurants, shopping, architecture, sports, culture, public transportation, museums, parks, schools, diversity, history, concerts, etc??
Columbus Ohio

Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM

749 posts, read 1,790,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I mean really, does anyone that has gotten past the eighth grade buy into that? I have seen so many posts that try to assert that Southern friendliness is 'fake', and I laugh at every one of them.
No; I didn't say any thing about all Southern Friendliness being fake. I stated that my opinion of where I am is a fake friendliness. I was born and raised in the south and love the true Southern Friendliness that I grew up in.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
The south is friendlier overall in my opinon. That being said you can find nice people and d-bags in everygroup
Now that statement I can agree with.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,348,552 times
columbus has it hands down. love the river running through downtown. it is a perfect example---along w/ many others---that downtown cores can equally be split by water or other natural typography and remain cohesive. (many in my city, memphis, hang on to the ideas that rivers can't be dealt w/ effectively and safely, and force growth patterns w/out ability to change. chicago, new york, columbus, cincinatti, on and on prove otherwise) i love the midwest-east vibe. urban grit, history, and fabric. huge city for higher education and highly educated population. dense relatively compact: not relying on small cities to make up the city, as a whole. basically, friendly and accepting people. most of my experiences lead me to believe their population endear southerners, as many 2nd and 3rd generation columbians are from the south originally. cosmopolitan. not that i personally care, but my aunt and uncle are university professors in the city, and everyone is proud of "buck-eyes." as i understand it, this team is always nationally ranked and is able to draw huge crowds. i am no sports fan, however. beautiful old architecture, but a good deal that has always been pleasing, even though modern. i love their cold winters. i could enjoy living in this city. i would prefer a more mixed building direction, instead of the downtown cores linear tendency, but i like it, nevertheless.

nashville is too small in its downtown, consistently too much crime, too much country music, blue jeans, cowboy hats. those from there are much too ethnocentric and fail to accept valid criticisms. many from there, according to the raeford study and scale, identified some of the problems as lack of self awareness existing because of little interaction outside its own community. when i lived there, and according to current relatives from chicago burbs, who will be leaving soon, call it the stuart smally city of the southeast. inferiority complex of atlanta, memphis, st. louis, and louisville. this last statement is my belief, not necessarily those of all relatives. we have running jokes---friendly, of course.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
nashville is too small in its downtown, consistently too much crime
That's interesting, because Columbus and Nashville have very similar municipal crime rates.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's interesting, because Columbus and Nashville have very similar municipal crime rates.
Yup. That poster hates everything about Nashville and won't hesitate to be critical of Nashville, even in threads that have nothing to do with Nashville. When he says that people in Nashville have an inferiority complex over Memphis of all places, you know he's crossed the line.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Oh, so I see you now know where I've been and where I've not been. Cool.
You've admitted in the past that you have not driven much around Nashville. I am not sure about Columbus though. At any rate, you would not be so quick to place Nashville and Columbus in the same category if you have spent some considerable time in both cities. Nashville feels more like Winston-Salem or Dayton and Columbus feels a bit closer to the likes of Cincinnati. The difference (both inside and outside of downtown) is quite clear.

Now, as far as the "things to do" factor, Nashville beats Columbus hands down IMO.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
When he says that people in Nashville have an inferiority complex over Memphis of all places, you know he's crossed the line.
...and posting out of ignorance...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You've admitted in the past that you have not driven much around Nashville. I am not sure about Columbus though. At any rate, you would not be so quick to place Nashville and Columbus in the same category if you have spent some considerable time in both cities. Nashville feels more like Winston-Salem or Dayton and Columbus feels a bit closer to the likes of Cincinnati. The difference (both inside and outside of downtown) is quite clear.

Now, as far as the "things to do" factor, Nashville beats Columbus hands down IMO.
When I said the two were comparable, I was talking about factors that you don't get a feel for by just driving around a bunch or even visiting occasionally. I was talking about size (Columbus is larger, but both cities are generally in the same tier), size of economy, status as state capitals/college cities/river cities, crime, demographics, amenities, sports (1 major league pro team for each with minor league teams and college sports making up the rest of the sports scene), mass transit (Nashville has a commuter line, but it's nothing major), educational attainment, etc. Pretty much the general livability stuff. Now the two cities definitely give off different vibes, but I'm not really in agreement with the comparisons you made, but I'm not sure if you're referring to built environment or what. I think Nashville wears more hats than Columbus (country music capital, "Athens of the South," "Protestant Vatican," etc.), but I get a Southern musical vibe from Nashville and get a really big college town vibe from Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City