Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM

358 posts, read 755,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have noticed that NYC is the most city that is talked about? Why is this?

-Is it that NYC has a big impact in the United States?
-Is it because NYC has to offer a lot?
You see what you want to see, and I don't think NYC is talked about any more than other places. Since you might be a New Yorker, are you just fishing for compliments about your hometown? Don't get me wrong, I love NYC, but I'm just sayin'

Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
A half dozen? Ive only seen two the rest were not from new york city. Type in new york in search, every single thread that comes up are from nons. I cant even remember the last time a new yorker made a thread other than this one, which doesnt count.

People should look to other cities about arrogance before new york. People from texas and la can be just as arrogant if not moreso. They use words such as podunk, that is exclusive to arrogance. lol. They outright diss cities.

On here someone will say chicago is the densist city, to which a new yorker would tell them their wrong. Or that la is a bigger media capitol, same result. Is that arrogance?
I outright posted threads along with the thread creators and where they are from for you. This was a quick, cursory look and it's already turned results that directly contradict what you're saying. In my post, there were six posters (not including myself and nyricanpapi who have made threads about NYC) from NYC making nine different topics about NYC along with another five posters from the NYC metro who also made NYC topics. This was a quick search--type in "NYC" or "New York" in the advanced search for "topic title" in this forum, click on the topic and then look at the top right of the first post where people list where they're located. It's simple. Just because you can't remember it, doesn't mean the topic never existed--the search engine can help you with that.

nyricanpapi, the point I made was that he was wrong about New Yorkers not making threads about New York. I didn't say that non-New Yorkers don't make threads about New York. You're "are you sure" is misplaced. Obviously, you don't understand where I'm going with this because you haven't understood what I said.

Which posts are you talking about with Chicagoans claiming their city is the densest? It might be one idiot saying that (though I haven't come across it yet), but that's not a consensus. I've found the southerners and others on this forum, for the most part, on the defensive whenever some ridiculous argument comes around involving New Yorkers. You are putting up strawmen that don't usually exist while there is ample actual evidence of arrogance on the part of a few New Yorkers on this forum.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times
Too much pride comes off as arrogant.

It's even in the definition..
arrogant - having or showing feelings of unwarranted importance out of overbearing pride; "an arrogant official"; "arrogant claims"; "chesty as a peacock"

Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Not even close regarding importance, diversity, cosmo, or whatever category you can name

NY is not as important as DC and only slightly more so than LA. NY'ers make sure that we know that they are the biggest by numbers though
NY not the most important? NY not the most diverse or cosmpolitan? LA just as important? ROFLMAO.

Another case of envy, I suppose.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times
I think we can say that NYC is pretty much the biggest impact to the USA when it comes to Cities. It also offers so much more than any other city has to offer. It's a great city.

It's just the overbearing pride that gets on peoples nerves.

Nothings perfect.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:23 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I outright posted threads along with the thread creators and where they are from for you. This was a quick, cursory look and it's already turned results that directly contradict what you're saying. In my post, there were six posters (not including myself and nyricanpapi who have made threads about NYC) from NYC making nine different topics about NYC along with another five posters from the NYC metro who also made NYC topics. This was a quick search--type in "NYC" or "New York" in the advanced search for "topic title" in this forum, click on the topic and then look at the top right of the first post where people list where they're located. It's simple. Just because you can't remember it, doesn't mean the topic never existed--the search engine can help you with that.

nyricanpapi, the point I made was that he was wrong about New Yorkers not making threads about New York. I didn't say that non-New Yorkers don't make threads about New York. You're "are you sure" is misplaced. Obviously, you don't understand where I'm going with this because you haven't understood what I said.

Which posts are you talking about with Chicagoans claiming their city is the densest? It might be one idiot saying that (though I haven't come across it yet), but that's not a consensus. I've found the southerners and others on this forum, for the most part, on the defensive whenever some ridiculous argument comes around involving New Yorkers. You are putting up strawmen that don't usually exist while there is ample actual evidence of arrogance on the part of a few New Yorkers on this forum.
Type in new york in search... 4 pages come up. All threads are made by non new yorkers. Your not going to sit here and tell me that most new york threads are not made by non new yorkers. Of course your going to get some threads made by natives that goes without saying. But most of the recent threads were made by nons.

U keep mentioning new york metro. New yorkers have nothing to do with that. Their either from new york or not. Its that simple, i said New Yorkers. I thought i cleared up the "almost exclusively" part and changed it too mostly. Ya what you see when you search is threads about new york, mostly by non new yorkers

Im sure Ricanpapi wasnt talking about nyc threads since the beginning of city-data.com. Im quite sure he was referring to the recent wave of new york threads-again mostly made by non new yorkers

LOL. Your putting the heavy hand on new york and the feather on chicago and la. U and i both know that there are quite a few on here who say some crazy things. You played yourself even saying that, you already know what it is. And defensive? did you say defensive? lmao New york is enemey number 1 to every city in the world on this forum. Like i said before new yorkers find themselves defending the city more than anything. There is ample evidence of arrogance by alot of cities on this board so what are you saying? The only person that goes hard with that is finalcut

Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Type in new york in search... 4 pages come up. All threads are made by non new yorkers. Your not going to sit here and tell me that most new york threads are not made by non new yorkers. Of course your going to get some threads made by natives that goes without saying. But most of the recent threads were made by nons.

U keep mentioning new york metro. New yorkers have nothing to do with that. Their either from new york or not. Its that simple, i said New Yorkers. I thought i cleared up the "almost exclusively" part and changed it too mostly. Ya what you see when you search is threads about new york, mostly by non new yorkers

Im sure Ricanpapi wasnt talking about nyc threads since the beginning of city-data.com. Im quite sure he was referring to the recent wave of new york threads-again mostly made by non new yorkers

LOL. Your putting the heavy hand on new york and the feather on chicago and la. U and i both know that there are quite a few on here who say some crazy things. You played yourself even saying that, you already know what it is. And defensive? did you say defensive? lmao New york is enemey number 1 to every city in the world on this forum. Like i said before new yorkers find themselves defending the city more than anything. There is ample evidence of arrogance by alot of cities on this board so what are you saying? The only person that goes hard with that is finalcut
So the search engine magically gave you only threads about NYC by non-New Yorkers? You can't be serious. I detailed for you exactly what I did, and actually listed for you the threads, the posters, and the poster's location. You have NO argument for "all threads are made by non new yorkers." You directly contradict that statement by saying "Of course your going to get some threads made by natives that goes without saying." I can say you're just not very careful with your words, but obviously there's something in you that's incapable of watching what you say or reading what others write.

I wrote that you were wrong about "almost exclusively" (good thing you started with a switch to "all" in this post). I never claimed that New Yorkers were responsible for the majority of the threads, only that your initial statement was wrong. I then showed you why your statement was wrong and actually addressed the topic to help explain why NYC crops up so often. Unfortunately, you're still having a hard time understanding this.

And in case you haven't worked it out, I listed threads made by New Yorkers (as in living in the city, as in living in Queens, the Bronx, or Manhattan but perhaps the Bronx and Staten Island as well) as well as people in the metro (who can't be disconnected from NYC seeing as they live in the NYC metro and not in Wasilla, Alaska).

You'll notice that this forum "City vs City" actually hasn't been here for very long, so pretty much everything here is a recent topic. Well, here's one piece of the puzzle: obviously one poster in particular, drose1, had been thinking about NYC and made THREE separate topics in a short span of time. I recently bumped two NYC topics made by New Yorkers (as in New Yorkers who live in the city). There were ongoing, long topics about NYC (especially the one versus LA) that have been kept alive mostly by New Yorkers (and whoever they're arguing with). So it's one fluke making three topics, me bumping two to make a point (and I live, work, and vote in NYC), and several of us New Yorkers (go through some of the NYC threads and look at how many of the posts have been from New Yorkers) keeping NYC topics alive.

As far as my being light on other posters, no. Pointing out how some New Yorkers on here are arrogant does not mean posters from other places aren't arrogant--it just means that there are New Yorkers here that are arrogant. Have you seen Rachel and TANaples bait people in the south for absolutely no reason? How could you possibly miss the random tidbits of almost completely off-topic boosting of NYC and putting down of the south they do? Or the dementor alts that do nothing but bait Chicagoans by pushing its inferiority to NYC? Of course, there's also the category of people who are being arrogant (about their city) without even being aware of it, and NYC seems to have its fair share of those on this board.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
There are more people that talk about NY more than the native NYers.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
There are more people that talk about NY more than the native NYers.
Great, now try figuring out who ever said otherwise.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Great, now try figuring out who ever said otherwise.
I meant that there are more Non-native people that post more threads about NY than the Native NYers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City