Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Can you go thorugh one day not hearing about Wall Street, United Nations or read or watch New York based media? C'mon, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Time Magazine, Newseek are some of the best American publications. C'mon. You may not like New York, you may prefer Kenosha (I actually like what they did with Kenosha on the Lake) yet you have to admit that most news in the country come out of New York and DC. As a Newyorker I can say I do not care for DC (that's not true by the way) but can't deny it is part of my life as decisions made there directly affect my life.
It's really easy to go through a day without hearing about Wall Street the UN or reading a NYC-based publication--the question is why would you want to?

Though I have to say, I'm a lot more reliant on craigslist, google, and wikipedia, youtube, bittorrent, and facebook for my daily dose of media than anything NYC based.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:02 PM

197 posts, read 181,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's really easy to go through a day without hearing about Wall Street the UN or reading a NYC-based publication--the question is why would you want to?

That's a good point. Amish folks in Intercourse PA probably do not get much of New York based media

Quote:
Though I have to say, I'm a lot more reliant on craigslist, google, and wikipedia, youtube, bittorrent, and facebook for my daily dose of media than anything NYC based.
And I still enjoy good quality journalism and editorials... not trying to say that I am taking them all at face value
Anyways, anybody can say they do not think about New York or DC but in reality it is hard to escape if you want to be well informed.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
That's a good point. Amish folks in Intercourse PA probably do not get much of New York based media

And I still enjoy good quality journalism and editorials... not trying to say that I am taking them all at face value
Anyways, anybody can say they do not think about New York or DC but in reality it is hard to escape if you want to be well informed.
True, though most people's daily lives (and not just the Amish) do not require them to be well-informed about these things.

Though, to answer the topic more thoroughly, there was a thread on here before that asked where posters on this forum are from and the NYC metro had a comfortable plurality in that poll. So, of course it's likely that the metro with the most posters will be the most talked about on this forum since there will be more native posters to start topics or keep topics going.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
True, though most people's daily lives (and not just the Amish) do not require them to be well-informed about these things.

oy, like almost everything in life it's a matter of personal choice and needs. Some people need to be informed some do not. Some feel the need to finish high school, some do not. Nobody says you have to be educagted or informed, I however believe that being able to be informed regardless of one's physical location is one of the biggest advantages of the XXI century, not taking advantage of this ability is a sin against progress.

Quote:
Though, to answer the topic more thoroughly, there was a thread on here before that asked where posters on this forum are from and the NYC metro had a comfortable plurality in that poll. So, of course it's likely that the metro with the most posters will be the most talked about on this forum since there will be more native posters to start topics or keep topics going.
That maybe true. But also the role that NYC and DC ( I am throwing DC here so you just don't mistake me for a homer) plays in American life fully warrants more attention given to those cities.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
oy, like almost everything in life it's a matter of personal choice and needs. Some people need to be informed some do not. Some feel the need to finish high school, some do not. Nobody says you have to be educagted or informed, I however believe that being able to be informed regardless of one's physical location is one of the biggest advantages of the XXI century, not taking advantage of this ability is a sin against progress.
Right, so it's perfectly possible, even for the very educated, to be uninformed about a multitude of the issues of the day. The sin against progress is to not advance progress though--it's unfortunate that there are so many well-informed people who have no ability or will to use that knowledge past simply conversing about them when it seems they would do well to simply know something very well and actually contribute to the world's progress. Of course, these don't have to be mutually exclusive--the point being the well-informed can certainly end up contributing not one iota to "progress." I can understand that being a far greater sin.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,204 times
Default Conffessions of a once NY basher

I used to hate New York a lot because it was allways talked about and because it had a killer skyline and I wanted LA to be the best and I was jealous so I allways pretend to act like it wasn't cool and talked bad about it, but now I am starting to like it more and more. The place looks very awesome and I think I would kinda fit in NY and i kinda see why people rave about it all the time, but I still like LA and still want it to be the best still so yeah.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
^^I think your reasons about why you bashed it are why a lot of people bash it: Because they're jealous. You're one of the very few who can admit to why you bashed it! Good job, lol.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 PM

^^^^^Which is kind of crazy considering that New York is America's gem, it's largest city. There is no state which is not represented in New York, people from around the country build the strenght of New York and strengh of its institutions, like Wall Street, Broadway or publishing business determines America's standing in the world. New York is a joint effort and everyone should be proud of it and not bashing it like it was an enemy.

Last edited by take2; 08-25-2009 at 11:23 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM

223 posts, read 829,069 times
Default Nothing is like New York!!!!!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Movies play a HUGE roll in the pop culture of th country. And shows also. I'm just saying, I don't see what NYC offers in the pop culture realm MORE then what LA offers.

I don't know about pop culture, but overall New York has alot more to offer than LA!!!!

If you don't believe me than you need to wake up and smell the New York coffe and have a Brooklyn Danish or 2!!!!

New York City has more to offer than any U.S city!!!

Italy has Rome, England has London, France has Parris, America has New York City!!!

Thats why New York is the most talked about city in the U.S. Everybody wants to know what New York is like around the world and in America. I see your from Texas /Florida and you want to go to Califorina, but you haven't see a city till you seen New York City after seeing New York no other city can compare. Even in your area of FL or TX or cali eveything is compared to New York City. New York never compares itself to other cities because their is nothing to compare it to (maybe Chicago but not really like the whole of New York City). However ever city in the U.S. compares itself to New York City its the standard of every big City in the U.S. and maybe the world. There is nothing in Florida of Texas or even Cali. thats like New York. Thats why all other cities like; Los Angeles, Chicago,Philly all compare themselves to New York City, but again its not vise versa. This is called the NEW YORK INFERIOIRTY COMPLEX every city has it because they are not like New York City which is the ultimate Super City!!!!

Nothing is like New York thats why everbody talks about it!!!!Especially in FL,TX,or Cali!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
I Nothing is like New York thats why everbody talks about it!!!!Especially in FL,TX,or Cali!!!!!!!
Have you been traveling all over these states to listen in on others conversations?

Although you may want to think NY is the topic of every conversation you would be sadly mistaken.

I do notice that many NYers tend to live off this supposed greatness as if it is thier own rather than realizing it is a city and does not in turn make them superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City