Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 AM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
How many threads on here about new york were created by new yorkers?

Well, there are only a handful of threads that mention NYC specifically in the title or original post and at least four of them are made by New Yorkers (including this one). Now this is just going by threads that specifically mention NYC. Add in the many conversations (often courtesy of Rachel and her mother, but along with you, bigcityguy, dementor and his aliases, nyricanpapi, and a few others) where NYC is sometimes thrown in without any real reason (the southerners on this board can attest to that), then it makes NYC is far from the exclusive domain of non-New Yorkers.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:31 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, there are only a handful of threads that mention NYC specifically in the title or original post and at least four of them are made by New Yorkers (including this one). Now this is just going by threads that specifically mention NYC. Add in the many conversations (often courtesy of Rachel and her mother, but along with you, bigcityguy, dementor and his aliases, nyricanpapi, and a few others) where NYC is sometimes thrown in without any real reason (the southerners on this board can attest to that), then it makes NYC is far from the exclusive domain of non-New Yorkers.
Nah this one doesnt count. Ricanpapi was simply asking a question, bringing it too the forums attention. Every single thread on this page that mentions new york are from non new yorkers

I never ever just talk about new york out of nowhere. It was because a non brought the city up or i was simply defending it. All those posters u named-the new yorkers including myself, never go about making a thread about new york city. When was the last thread about new york from any of them? or me?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:23 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nah this one doesnt count. Ricanpapi was simply asking a question, bringing it too the forums attention. Every single thread on this page that mentions new york are from non new yorkers

I never ever just talk about new york out of nowhere. It was because a non brought the city up or i was simply defending it. All those posters u named-the new yorkers including myself, never go about making a thread about new york city. When was the last thread about new york from any of them? or me?
Yeah I agree I just asked the Question to see why NYC is very popular in City vs. City. For example Rwarky I think he's from Cali and he created a thread called Greatest influence on the U.S.A., New York City or Los Angeles?, Another thread was more expensive boston or NYC ? by drose1, NYC or L.A? by tothehilt, this person is from Fl, L.A. vs NYC vs Chicago by crayola, this person is from Michigan, Philadelphia vs NYC by JLock 2513, and this person is from Houston TX.

Should I continue?

I just saw many threads of NYC that is why I brought it up...

Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 AM

59 posts, read 87,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Not even close regarding importance, diversity, cosmo, or whatever category you can name

NY is not as important as DC and only slightly more so than LA. NY'ers make sure that we know that they are the biggest by numbers though
I think that you are underestimating the importance of New York City. The New York Stock Exchange and Wall Street play a huge factor in the economy of North America and the world. When people talk about top cities in the world, New York City will be the only city mentioned in North America. As you can see from this link, New York City is ranked Alpha++. The only city on the level with New York City for importance in the world is London. GAWC World Cities Ranking List

Old 07-23-2009, 05:29 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
I love NYC! Probably my favorite city, but don't have a desire to return.

Incidentally, I thought Pittsburgh had the most city vs city threads!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,530,511 times
Eh, I think NYC and DC are neck in neck for most influential. I think in absolute terms, though, DC wins, although NYC will always conquer the popular imagination.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 AM

315 posts, read 667,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Eh, I think NYC and DC are neck in neck for most influential. I think in absolute terms, though, DC wins, although NYC will always conquer the popular imagination.
Sorry to be this blunt but, No.. Just No.

DC is the political capital of the US

NYC is the media capital of the US
NYC is the fashion capital of the US
NYC is the finance capital of the US
NYC is the marketing/advertising capital of the US
NYC is the art capital of the US
NYC is the food capital of the US
NYC is the cultural capital of the US
...etc.
and is #2 politically.

And in each of those things, NYC is either #1 or amongst the most influential around the world.

NYC (alpha ++), in absolute terms, is more influential than DC (beta +).

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-23-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,492,032 times
You know what's funny?

I bet most people here on City-Data, at least the ones who've visited the city, love New York. It's a great place. It's like Disneyland for adults. It's a fun, vibrant city where a lot of really cool things go down. There's a lot of things to do no matter the time of day, and it absolutely feels the most "urban" of American cities - whatever that means. I bet it you took an informal poll here asking if people simply liked NYC, over 90% of the respondants would reply yes.

But then... all the wierdo NYC boosters would come in and ruin the whole thing. "NYC be all big and stuffs. We got fashion models and stuff. Ever hear of the You-nited Nations? Yeah, I heard of 'em too. I don't know what dey do, but dey be important and stuff."

Get over yourselves. You live in the city. You didn't build it.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
You know what's funny?

I bet most people here on City-Data, at least the ones who've visited the city, love New York. It's a great place. It's like Disneyland for adults. It's a fun, vibrant city where a lot of really cool things go down. There's a lot of things to do no matter the time of day, and it absolutely feels the most "urban" of American cities - whatever that means. I bet it you took an informal poll here asking if people simply liked NYC, over 90% of the respondants would reply yes.

But then... all the wierdo NYC boosters would come in and ruin the whole thing. "NYC be all big and stuffs. We got fashion models and stuff. Ever hear of the You-nited Nations? Yeah, I heard of 'em too. I don't know what dey do, but dey be important and stuff."

Get over yourselves. You live in the city. You didn't build it.
It's sad to tie your self esteem to the city you live in...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
That's something you see on the forums? Or?

I lived in NYC for a few years, and never heard or read anyone ever speaking like that before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City