Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Culture is subjective. Like if you mean pop culture, I'll go with LA. But if you mean American history and all that, then I'll probably say DC or maybe Boston or maybe even Philly, but then they're is plenty of other history in the US from other countries, Spain, Mexico, France, if we're going by that history and culture then I'd say New Orleans, San Antonio, Saint Augustine.
I never understood this. How is la anywhere close to new york pop culture wise besides movies? Heh different thread i guess

Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
In that case you should make a thread about why everyone talks about LA, because alot of the threads you just mentioned include LA. Not just New York, by non-new yorkers. Maybe LA is just as popular and desiarable as New York, especially by non-Angelinos.
No it's not.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,899,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I never understood this. How is la anywhere close to new york pop culture wise besides movies? Heh different thread i guess
Do you ever talk about anything of than NYC? NYC is great and all, but there's got to be more going on upstairs besides the NY channel right?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Do you ever talk about anything of than NYC? NYC is great and all, but there's got to be more going on upstairs besides the NY channel right?
...O! I remember you .............

Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
The ones OyCrumbler listed that were NON-new yorkers, were from Northern NJ in the New York metropolian area. Most of those threads that were started by people NOT from the NY metro area, were LA vs NYC or CHI vs NYC or BOS vs NYC, and the ones who started those were from LA, CHI, or BOS, and if they weren't from LA, CHI, or BOS they were from NYC metro area. So OyCrumbler has a point. It's not like people from LA or Houston or Atlanta are starting "NYC vs Philly" threads or "NYC is the greastest" threads, or "I wanna move to NYC" threads.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,849,916 times
Quote:
I know this is probably obvious baiting on your behalf... but giving you the benefit of the doubt, here's a link with some information regarding LA's contributions to our culture:

Arts and culture of Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pop culture generally comes from movies, TV, books, and music... all of which LA makes serious contributions to.

Oh, and getting back to the original questions, I think NYC is mentioned so much on this forum because this forum is urban focused... and NYC is a bit of a benchmark for urbanism.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 PM

I dont get it, its still non new yorkers making the threads

Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I know this is probably obvious baiting on your behalf... but giving you the benefit of the doubt, here's a link with some information regarding LA's contributions to our culture:

Arts and culture of Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pop culture generally comes from movies, TV, books, and music... all of which LA makes serious contributions to.

Oh, and getting back to the original questions, I think NYC is mentioned so much on this forum because this forum is urban focused... and NYC is a bit of a benchmark for urbanism.
I didnt say that la has not contributed but when you say moreso than new york that opens up pandoras box. But ima respectfully close the box and leave it at that. For the sake of this thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Movies play a HUGE roll in the pop culture of th country. And shows also. I'm just saying, I don't see what NYC offers in the pop culture realm MORE then what LA offers.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:23 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustfundhipster View Post
New York Metro population: 18,800,000

United States population: 304,059,724

The vast majority of the people here don't live in anywhere near New York City, so no, it WOULDN'T make complete sense.
You will have a larger proportion of people voting for the East Coast because it has a larger proportion of people on this forum and a larger proportion of the US's population. Where does that not make sense? The number of East Coast topics seem fairly proportional (BosWash is about a fifth of the US population)--they make up a fair chunk of topics posted, but they aren't the majority.

And yes, while a large number of threads about NYC are not by New Yorkers, that's also true of pretty much any location discussed on this forum--people from a place will be more likely to create a topic about where they're from, but as there are many more people not from that place, most topics are going to be created by outsiders (regardless of the city in question). Add to this that most topics are comparison topics, so the original poster will "score" one topic for their hometown, but be an outsider for the other city(s) in the topic. This is true no matter which city is in discussion.

Back on the original topic, it's obvious why NYC is the most talke about on this forum. It's the largest city, and is important and influential. The proportion of posters on this forum from NYC or its metro is likely to be larger than that of any other city (and people from an area are more likely to talk about the area they're from).

Also, I just realized how poorly understood my post listing some NYC topics by New Yorkers was. If you read carefully, I actually list the places where the people are from. All of them are from the NYC metro, and most of them are within NYC itself.

All of thi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City